Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 239500 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #2115 on: February 02, 2022, 06:19:05 PM »
Which one? What part of the world do you live in for chrisssakes?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: February 02, 2022, 07:17:18 PM »
Khruangbin. Stumbled across this band last night and it made me wonder if Andy Scott had a son from Texas, but once I zeroed in on the bassist I forgot all about that. This stuff is super chill but it stuck with me all day today so I ordered a few CDs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: February 02, 2022, 10:14:09 PM »
Oh my, did you buy a complementary yacht for yourself too, George?  :mrgreen:

Children beware: This is what old Mötley Crüe fans end up with!

PS: Actually, it's not all that bad, Herr Carlston. Reminds me of some of that cool Latin fusion stuff the Ian Gillan Band did around 1977:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 10:29:34 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: February 03, 2022, 12:26:56 AM »
Which one? What part of the world do you live in for chrisssakes?

Video on #2113 reply.  It simply says "Video unavailable.  This video is unavailable." 

I'm in the USA.  However, I often have a problem with friends in the EU being unable to see the videos that I try to send them, too.  So this kind of problem is definitely not a one way street.  I'm sure it has to do with copyright issues which vary from one place to another. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 01:28:11 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: February 03, 2022, 05:47:34 AM »
"I'm in the USA."

Yeah, I've heard about your place. The infrastructure is a bit dilapidated they say, but isn't there a Bill to make things better?  ;)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2120 on: February 03, 2022, 08:13:37 AM »
Khruangbin. Stumbled across this band last night and it made me wonder if Andy Scott had a son from Texas, but once I zeroed in on the bassist I forgot all about that. This stuff is super chill but it stuck with me all day today so I ordered a few CDs.

I somehow YouTube rabbit-holed my way to this band not too long ago. Cool stuff. I'd like to see them live.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: February 03, 2022, 08:29:10 AM »
Andy Reloaded has a nice Spaghetti Western tone on his Strat.

PS: Just ordered 5 CDs from them, now George can you let me please have that super yacht catalog too?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 08:45:59 AM by uwe »

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: February 03, 2022, 11:31:50 AM »
I somehow YouTube rabbit-holed my way to this band not too long ago. Cool stuff. I'd like to see them live.

Good stuff! I've been switching back and forth between them and Renaissance.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: February 03, 2022, 11:40:11 AM »
"I'm in the USA."

Yeah, I've heard about your place. The infrastructure is a bit dilapidated they say, but isn't there a Bill to make things better?  ;)

I'm here, but there are times when I identify with these Randy California lyrics where it says there are a thousand places I would rather be.  There can be several attractions of foreign countries, but the one which can hit you immediately is that there are no relatives there.

To be a little more specific, to be in the U.S. and around relatives who want to talk about politics, especially in an overbearing way, is very unpleasant.  It is too polarized here; I honestly can't stand it sometimes.  That's why sometimes when I get to be around friends in Europe who aren't so politicized, it's very calming.  Someone once wrote that "friends are God's apology for your relatives." 

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 05:36:18 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: February 03, 2022, 08:41:08 PM »
Speaking of America, here is a song I found not long ago.  At first I thought it was going to be maybe sarcastic, but that's not really what it is.  It's some Swedes longing for the America of the 80s and early 90s.  One of the lines says, for instance, that somebody pulled the plug around 1993.  In an interview, the lead singer said some people were complaining that they were Swedes doing a song about America.  He said the title was "Anthem for America," not "Anthem from America."  BTW, these models who look like hookers dressed as cheerleaders just totally crack me up. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: February 04, 2022, 05:51:47 AM »
It's well-done and nicely anthemic, capturing the spirit of late 80ies hair metal - proper highpitched screamy vocals over the Mötley-Crüe-Dr. Feelgood-era musical mayhem.

But imagine this was 1972. And a young band would appear looking and playing like an early 50ies teddy boy act or an early 30ies coffee house orchestra, to the exclusion of everything else. They'd be regarded as  a novelty act at best. Yet today, we have all these bands devoting their talent and energy to get as close as they can to a sound and look that was culturally relevant 35 years ago. Is really all future in the past?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: February 04, 2022, 10:29:00 AM »
Some marvelous band interplay here:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2127 on: February 04, 2022, 11:37:40 AM »

A new Red NR front and center here, all Gibson show!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: February 04, 2022, 12:40:32 PM »
It's well-done and nicely anthemic, capturing the spirit of late 80ies hair metal - proper highpitched screamy vocals over the Mötley-Crüe-Dr. Feelgood-era musical mayhem.

But imagine this was 1972. And a young band would appear looking and playing like an early 50ies teddy boy act or an early 30ies coffee house orchestra, to the exclusion of everything else. They'd be regarded as  a novelty act at best. Yet today, we have all these bands devoting their talent and energy to get as close as they can to a sound and look that was culturally relevant 35 years ago. Is really all future in the past?

In the case of rock, bands have to look back to an extent to the past if they're going to play it.  Maybe rock's peak was reached years ago, but I've changed my mind about it.  I'm not going along with that idea that rock is dead or dying.  I'm encouraged especially by young bands playing it.  For a while, it seemed like there was hardly any new rock music being made.  But I now see it's out there, maybe just not widespread and easy to find.  Seek and you shall find.  What's inspirational is seeing bands struggle against the odds, but keep moving forward anyway with their rock music.  But rock is just less prevalent and more elusive than it used to be.  I retract any statement I may have made through the years contrary to what I'm saying now.  BTW, I think the video by the Swedes is, of course, tongue-in-cheek, but there is still some relevance to their overall attitude. 

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 02:43:03 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: February 05, 2022, 08:27:07 PM »
Oh my, did you buy a complementary yacht for yourself too, George?  :mrgreen:

Children beware: This is what old Mötley Crüe fans end up with!

WTF?  :mrgreen: