Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 239822 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #1020 on: March 25, 2020, 05:32:54 PM »
If Motown couldn't help Noel, it sure wasn't down to his complexion - they supported Rare Earth (the band) well and were proud to have a white band in their stable. Of course, Rare Earth had strong vocals und on a sub-label of Motown I'd imagine that the very least they expected you to have was a good voice, they were spoiled for good voices from their other acts.

I'm a great fan of Rare Earth, have all their albums - a bit like Grand Funk Railroad, they have become unsung heroes over time. I remember being mesmerized by that live album (which still holds up well today). Culture Factory (the label) have re-released almost all their albums in recent years and the remastering is great.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 25, 2020, 06:29:32 PM »
If Motown couldn't help Noel, it sure wasn't down to his complexion - they supported Rare Earth (the band) well and were proud to have a white band in their stable. Of course, Rare Earth had strong vocals und on a sub-label of Motown I'd imagine that the very least they expected you to have was a good voice, they were spoiled for good voices from their other acts.

I'm a great fan of Rare Earth, have all their albums - a bit like Grand Funk Railroad, they have become unsung heroes over time. I remember being mesmerized by that live album (which still holds up well today). Culture Factory (the label) have re-released almost all their albums in recent years and the remastering is great.

I doubt if race was ever an issue with anyone.  Rod Richards (also known as Rod Cox) had been in Rare Earth for years. If race had been an issue with him, he wouldn't have got into another band signed by Motown after leaving Rare Earth.  As for "Road" I just get the impression that there must have been some shifting of priorities that took place after the band had been signed.  I don't think it was anything personal.  Noel didn't seem offended at all.  It seems he ultimately concluded that the band really wasn't good enough anyway.  He just wanted to go ahead and move on to the next thing.  Maybe he was selling the band short, maybe not.  Noel wasn't much of a lyricist, but he could write music.  Like that song "Ezy Ryder"  that Hendrix and Billy Cox made into such a good song.  Noel had written the main riff to that years earlier.  Speaking of race, I believe Jimi always appreciated that both Noel and Mitch were totally color blind when it came to that.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 25, 2020, 06:33:37 PM »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 26, 2020, 02:32:35 PM »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 28, 2020, 08:39:09 PM »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 02, 2020, 09:41:50 PM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1026 on: April 03, 2020, 10:23:18 AM »
Woke up yesterday with this running through my head; not sure what prompted that.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 03, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »

Many years ago when I was usually working in other various states, I would come back occasionally to visit my relatives.  I remember time after time of them talking about going to Nashville to some kind of event they used to have where fans could go interact directly with the artists.  Over and over, I would hear them talk about Janie Fricke.  She must have made quite an impression.  The image I have of her is the same as what was on the album covers they brought back and what's on that video.  I just looked her up and she is 72 now.  Based just on what they told me, they were puzzled why she wasn't appreciated more.  Because it was pretty obvious that they loved her.  In person, she must have have had some kind of magnetic personality. 

This one isn't exactly country to me, but I like their version of this song, too.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:37:30 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 03, 2020, 06:43:45 PM »
Janie is well loved and respected.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 03, 2020, 09:46:53 PM »
Janie is well loved and respected.

These relatives were used to being around country music stars.  Through work, living close to some of them or in one case being related to one of them.  But out of all those stories I heard, it was Janie Fricke who sounded like the most pleasant celebrity to be around.  Then, of course, there were also stars who were a pain in the ass.  I wish I could have gone on one of those trips.  They saw a lot of people.  I've remembered now what it was called.  It was Fan Fair.  They have something similar to it called CMA Fest, but of course it has already been cancelled this year. 

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:52:01 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 04, 2020, 01:30:21 AM »
Janie had a house near my hometown in the 70's-80's. She was famous around town for being a nice lady and having a gorgeous house. I had gym class with her guitar player's daughter in high school.  Her white cotton shorts... I LOVED that gym class!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1031 on: April 04, 2020, 03:22:39 AM »
My old bandmates Mick, Jeff and Willem have a new fun project called KingSnake.
They do pre-1987 Whitesnake

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 04, 2020, 09:23:56 PM »
My old bandmates Mick, Jeff and Willem have a new fun project called KingSnake.
They do pre-1987 Whitesnake

Wow, they're good.  Also, an obvious but clever name. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:34:10 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 04, 2020, 09:30:00 PM »
Janie had a house near my hometown in the 70's-80's. She was famous around town for being a nice lady and having a gorgeous house. I had gym class with her guitar player's daughter in high school.  Her white cotton shorts... I LOVED that gym class!

I decided to try to find some Janie Fricke records I thought I had.  It took a lot of effort, but it was worth it.  I found two of them. 

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 04, 2020, 09:36:42 PM »
I read on Yahoo News that the economy has been set back 21 years.  In a sense, it's 1999 again.  This was always one of my favorite Prince songs. 

--Blaise Pascal