Author Topic: Craft Beer, the Devil's Craft  (Read 2147 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Craft Beer, the Devil's Craft
« on: October 13, 2016, 08:24:01 PM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Craft Beer, the Devil's Craft
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:19:06 AM »
Jesus drank grape juice...?

Well, yeah, but some of it was well aged and fermented.

I think today's crusaders forget that in centuries past, sometimes fermented drinks were the only safe thing to drink.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »
I forgot that Jesus turning water into wine at the wedding was only in the Quran, not that other monotheistic treatise. What he did in fact say was: "Well, drink grape juice, and be merry still!"

And the consecration/transsubstantiation only works with innocent fruit juice as well, not the devil's alcohol.

Fruit juice drinkers assemble!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »
I had trouble with that link and may have missed some things.  But it appears that these people actually think wine referred to in the Bible is grape juice.  Of course they are wrong about that as well as many other things. 

Regarding biblical references to wine (Hebrew yayin; Greek oinos), Eerdman’s Bible Dictionary states:

“There is no biblical evidence that wine ever consisted of unfermented grape juice. When such juice is mentioned (cf. Gen. 40:10-11) it is never called wine. Occasionally the Bible refers to ‘new wine’ (Heb. tiros; Mic. 6:15; KJV, Isa. 65:8; cf. Acts 2:13; Gk. gleukos), but this too was fermented and could intoxicate (Hos. 4:11; the LXX always translates tiros with Gk. oinos ‘wine’). New wine refers to the first drippings from the vat; it was purer, and because of its higher sugar content fermented into a more substantial drink. Wine could be graded in this manner (cf. the Cana wedding, where the steward is conscious of quality; John 2:10). …

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »

Presently just opened a bottle from my local distillery, just finishing off a binge-watch of the whole of Battlestar on bluray, (over the sea to) Skye today, off to the Outer Hebrides for a week for work, Orkney beckons, setting up a page/s for my photography, and just joined a band (4 piece with lady vox) and may find myself back in a studio in the new year recording for the 1st time in 30 years... mostly using the fretless RD... so stressed out... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »
I had trouble with that link and may have missed some things.  But it appears that these people actually think wine referred to in the Bible is grape juice.  Of course they are wrong about that as well as many other things. 

Regarding biblical references to wine (Hebrew yayin; Greek oinos), Eerdman’s Bible Dictionary states:

“There is no biblical evidence that wine ever consisted of unfermented grape juice. When such juice is mentioned (cf. Gen. 40:10-11) it is never called wine. Occasionally the Bible refers to ‘new wine’ (Heb. tiros; Mic. 6:15; KJV, Isa. 65:8; cf. Acts 2:13; Gk. gleukos), but this too was fermented and could intoxicate (Hos. 4:11; the LXX always translates tiros with Gk. oinos ‘wine’). New wine refers to the first drippings from the vat; it was purer, and because of its higher sugar content fermented into a more substantial drink. Wine could be graded in this manner (cf. the Cana wedding, where the steward is conscious of quality; John 2:10). …

Speaking of taste I was watching something on the Smithsonian channel a while back and one expert commented that clay amphorah were coated inside with pine pitch in order to render them water, wine, tight.  He commented that the pitch added a rather "earthy" flavor :o  I'll take modern booze thank you very much....

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 06:19:11 PM »
Speaking of taste I was watching something on the Smithsonian channel a while back and one expert commented that clay amphorah were coated inside with pine pitch in order to render them water, wine, tight.  He commented that the pitch added a rather "earthy" flavor :o  I'll take modern booze thank you very much....

The only booze I really like a lot is Beerenburg--a Dutch gin especially popular in three northern Dutch provinces.  I used to like whiskey and rum.  But in time found them less appealing for some reason.  Now I rarely drink anything.  I think it's safe to say, though, that I'd greatly prefer modern booze to that ancient stuff. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 10:05:24 PM »
Here I thought this would lead to a discussion of beer, not theology.  ???

Beer has health benefits (in moderation of course)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 01:07:05 AM »

Presently just opened a bottle from my local distillery, just finishing off a binge-watch of the whole of Battlestar on bluray, (over the sea to) Skye today, off to the Outer Hebrides for a week for work, Orkney beckons, setting up a page/s for my photography, and just joined a band (4 piece with lady vox) and may find myself back in a studio in the new year recording for the 1st time in 30 years... mostly using the fretless RD... so stressed out... ;)

Hopefully, you will find your time in the studio to be rewarding. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
Ta Michael... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 06:19:22 AM »
Where I come from, a bottle of dark beer a day was a standard recommendation to breastfeeding mothers. Not because of the alcohol, but because of everything else that's in it, very nutritious. These days, the recommendation has turned to non-alcoholic malt beer, a calory bomb.

And from when our children were still little, I remember that a dinner of fatty foods coupled with a 30 minute wait period and then breastfeeding would keep Teresa and Leon asleep longer before hunger would wake them for a return to the "docking station".  ;D

That beer ad therefore has more than a ring of truth in it.

And those parts in Europe with the highest red wine consumption (Southern France and Italy's wine regions) are the ones where the male population has the least cardiological issues. It comes at a price though, they are also the regions where an otherwise rather rare form of throat cancer is most prevalent.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 06:29:48 AM by uwe »

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 09:36:38 AM »
Utter nonsense, Jesus was a beer drinker and I have proof.

And for what is worth, a friends mother regularly participated in beer chugging contests late in her pregnancy as well as ?hile breastfeeding and he ended up 90% normal.  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 03:23:44 AM »

I just knew that that barrique taste fashion thing had to come from somewhere.