Author Topic: Ebony board Ripper  (Read 5537 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: Ebony board Ripper
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 11:17:58 AM »
That is one of the only bass I ever regretted selling . It was such a natural on me as far as fit and playability. If I get another Im not lettin go!
nothing fits me better
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 09:17:19 AM »
First Gibson I ever saw was an ebony fretless Ripper. I've lusted after one ever since. So beautiful, sounds so good.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 01:22:19 AM »

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 05:06:37 PM »
ok, i have decided i'm gonna put "Thunderbuckers" in both Rippers. now here is my question i have a Hipshot supertone that i have yet to install, do any of you guys have a bass with both the Hipshot and the Thunderbuckers. (please post a pic)  the bridge is aluminum and i believe  the pups are nickel. i wanna see how they look together. or maybe that new babics bridge? decisions decisions.......

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 11:50:44 PM »
The supertone is aluminium with chrome plate on top, I don't think they offer the supertones in nickel. Even the two points are not available in nickel. I lined up the supertone along with the nickel parts on a '63 EB0F, to replace a retrofitted 3 point. It did not work for me, both because of the chrome not matching the worn nickel of the pickup cover and because of the sheer size of that thing. I ended up biting the sour apple and bought a '62 bar bridge in good shape, costly but perfect.

Usually when matching new chrome parts with old nickel parts, I just strip off the chrome with hydrochloric acid. There is almost always nickel under chrome, the acid only removes chrome and leaves beautiful nickel unspoiled.
However as the bridge is aluminium, you can't do that. But I think you can reverse-electro-plate it, althoug it's complicated. I guess it's easier just buying chrome covers for the pickups.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 11:32:23 AM »
The supertone is aluminium with chrome plate on top, I don't think they offer the supertones in nickel. Even the two points are not available in nickel. I lined up the supertone along with the nickel parts on a '63 EB0F, to replace a retrofitted 3 point. It did not work for me, both because of the chrome not matching the worn nickel of the pickup cover and because of the sheer size of that thing. I ended up biting the sour apple and bought a '62 bar bridge in good shape, costly but perfect.

Usually when matching new chrome parts with old nickel parts, I just strip off the chrome with hydrochloric acid. There is almost always nickel under chrome, the acid only removes chrome and leaves beautiful nickel unspoiled.
However as the bridge is aluminium, you can't do that. But I think you can reverse-electro-plate it, althoug it's complicated. I guess it's easier just buying chrome covers for the pickups.

I thought there was also an option for brass on supertones, but I may be wrong.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 03:23:37 PM »
I'm gonna eBay the supertone and get a pair of Babicz bridges (they look better) and I think since I mostly play the rear pup I'm gonna put thunderbuckers in the bridge and China buckers in the front. Someone on here said the covers are the same (can anyone verify). That way I save a few bucks. Talked to the guy at Chelsea guitars about doing the work and he gave me a good price and is gonna sell a few things for me on consignment.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 06:10:06 PM »
I'm gonna eBay the supertone and get a pair of Babicz bridges (they look better) and I think since I mostly play the rear pup I'm gonna put thunderbuckers in the bridge and China buckers in the front. Someone on here said the covers are the same (can anyone verify). That way I save a few bucks. Talked to the guy at Chelsea guitars about doing the work and he gave me a good price and is gonna sell a few things for me on consignment.

Good choice.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »
I thought there was also an option for brass on supertones, but I may be wrong.

They claim it's made of solid aircraft aluminium, have not heard of a brass option. They are available in chrome or black, and the three point sub also have gold plate as an option.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 04:00:13 PM »
I remember when they first came out they offered brass, though I think that option disappeared very soon afterwards though.