Author Topic: Zer0 Glide Nuts  (Read 6373 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
Zer0 Glide Nuts
« on: July 14, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »
Any thoughts on the Zer0 Glide Nuts for electric bass guitars? (My) Hofners have the zero nut and sound pretty even across the board. Rick Turner likes the idea. He did one on one of my Starfires 40 years ago , but I forget now. The bass was Alembicised....so I got rid of it. The zero fret was the least of my dislikes back then.

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Zer0 Glide Nuts
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:39:18 PM »
Is it a nut with a zero fret built in? Sounds like quite a smart design. I think zero frets get a bad rep because they were used on budget instruments at one point in time. Definitely a nice way of getting open strings to sound the same as fretted ones.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 04:00:52 PM »
Seriously, nobody's busted with the lubed up testicles jokes yet?  Y'all are off yer game yo.

Also, I feel as if these have come up before.  In theory I'm a fan, but I ain't gonna pay fix something that ain't broke.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 06:31:55 PM »
More expensive to buy one and have it properly installed than to have a skilled tech install a properly cut and setup bone nut.

I'm not against zero frets in general, but if you have a problem with your existing setup, such as worn out nut slots that have become too low, IMHO it's better to just have it replaced with a new nut.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 09:43:12 AM »
More expensive to buy one and have it properly installed than to have a skilled tech install a properly cut and setup bone nut.

I'm not against zero frets in general, but if you have a problem with your existing setup, such as worn out nut slots that have become too low, IMHO it's better to just have it replaced with a new nut.

Yeah, and that intonation chart is misleading.  A properly cut nut with the correct slot depths and leveled frets won't be sharp on frets 1-5. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 01:46:24 PM »
Yeah, and that intonation chart is misleading.  A properly cut nut with the correct slot depths and leveled frets won't be sharp on frets 1-5.

Wow, that is definitely misleading.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 02:28:33 PM »
Totally agree with that about properly cut and correct slot depth. There might be some attributes to the zero fret on some instruments depending on their construction and perhaps headstock, bridge, harp etc. Bruce Johnson incorporates them in all his basses but maybe because he mostly likes to make fretless. The luthiers here might have a better insight on the plus/minus or just preferences on their overall designs.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 03:48:07 PM »
The biggest advantage is you don't have to modify or replace your nut as you change string gauges.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »
Totally agree with that about properly cut and correct slot depth. There might be some attributes to the zero fret on some instruments depending on their construction and perhaps headstock, bridge, harp etc. Bruce Johnson incorporates them in all his basses but maybe because he mostly likes to make fretless. The luthiers here might have a better insight on the plus/minus or just preferences on their overall designs.

I'm sure a lot of it depends on builder preferences. There's no right or wrong. I wouldn't let a zero fret keep me from buying a bass, the one I once owned with a zero fret worked fine (and it wasn't cheap).

But as a replacement for a standard nut, IMHO it's a solution to a problem that can be better solved by properly fixing or replacing the regular nut.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »
It's a "one-size-fits-all" solution, and their options are very limited for bass, like no flat bottom "F" nut, no P/J differential, etc.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 04:22:18 AM »
The intonation graph may well be true, but I don't see how replacing the nut with a zero fret somehow cures the issue. I thought the Buzz Feitin nut, and the even crazier just intonation fretting some makers experiment with, would cure the intonation, purely by changing the string length between the nut and each fret for each string.

Will intonation of the first frets also not change with string gauge?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
The intonation graph may well be true, but I don't see how replacing the nut with a zero fret somehow cures the issue. I thought the Buzz Feitin nut, and the even crazier just intonation fretting some makers experiment with, would cure the intonation, purely by changing the string length between the nut and each fret for each string.

Will intonation of the first frets also not change with string gauge?

Too high a nut (or zero fret, for that matter) causes the first few frets to be out of intonation.

Think about it or do some research, it's fairly common knowledge.  Dan Erlewine, among others, explains it well.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 08:50:53 AM »
I have Dan Erlewine's book, and I've read about the issue elsewhere as well. I've also cut a lot of stock nut slots lower to correct the issues that arise from nut slots being generally too high from the factory, namely the first few frets being sharp and tricky to fret.

There is a bit more at play than simply attributing all intonation issues with badly cut nuts. Pythagorean mathematics used to locate frets does not take into consideration the 'stretch' induced by pivoting the string over the fret then pushing it down to the surface of the fretboard. This is actually stated in Dan Erlewine's book, in the section where he provides a description of the Buzz Feiten system, and the thought process behind it.

Straight frets and conventional nuts are a bit like equal temperament; a compromise that to most folks is acceptable.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 12:54:12 PM »
Straight frets and conventional nuts are a bit like equal temperament; a compromise that to most folks is acceptable.

Yep.