Author Topic: problem with LoZ pups  (Read 5304 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: problem with LoZ pups
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 09:43:33 AM »
On the epoxy thing might I suggest JB Weld - I've made all kinds of mechanical repairs with it as it seems to be stronger and better suited for tooling and such.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »
Well, this is what I am thinking:

Thoughts?

You could easily cut and bend that out of .020 aluminum and epoxy it to the plastic.  Stronger than any plastic castiing IMO.  Or just use a piece of .090 pickguard material and epoxy or CA gel.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 04:33:09 PM »
Yep - alu was the plan, glued to the pup.  I have no experience with epoxy, but I did try to gorilla glue tabs back on and that failed within a few days.

The thing that worries me with epoxy is the thickness; you can't just use a thin film of a coat can you?  Maybe depending on type?  I am not up to reforming the tabs with epoxy and resetting the bushings; making sure those are lined up right is not going to be a fun time.

Anyway, the gorilla glue should be good to hold this bracket to the plastic casing, but I might take a trip to the hardware store to see if there's anything better.  Will look at epoxies.

Made 1 bracket from the paper template.  Not particularly pretty, but impressed that I didn't bugger it up:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:51:34 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 05:06:55 PM »
Yep - alu was the plan, glued to the pup.  I have no experience with epoxy, but I did try to gorilla glue tabs back on and that failed within a few days.

The thing that worries me with epoxy is the thickness; you can't just use a thin film of a coat can you?  Maybe depending on type?  I am not up to reforming the tabs with epoxy and resetting the bushings; making sure those are lined up right is not going to be a fun time.

Anyway, the gorilla glue should be good to hold this bracket to the plastic casing, but I might take a trip to the hardware store to see if there's anything better.  Will look at epoxies.

Made 1 bracket from the paper template.  Not particularly pretty, but impressed that I didn't bugger it up:

That looks great!

Epoxy will work oK, rough up the AL and pup surfaces with 80 grit sandpaper.  Get the stuff in the double barrel syringe it's the easiest to deal with.

Gorilla Glue is a great marketing gimmick, I don't know if it's any better than the other brands of the same kind of adhesive.

I like this stuff:

http://www.supergluecorp.com/?q=super-glue/epoxies/quick-setting-epoxy-adhesive

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »
+1 on what Carlo said about Gorilla Glue - marketing gimmick for the same old products.  Most of your strength comes from your aluminum - the glue just locks it together.  Scuff everything well and clean the surfaces with alcohol and glue away.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 05:49:08 PM »
+1 on what Carlo said about Gorilla Glue - marketing gimmick for the same old products.  Most of your strength comes from your aluminum - the glue just locks it together.  Scuff everything well and clean the surfaces with alcohol and glue away.

Full disclosure, I haven't tried it on any of the local primates.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »
Harambe didn't endorse it.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 04:59:33 AM »
I saw photographs online a while back of balls of Gorilla Glue as eaten by dogs. Basically the dog thinks the glue is some sort of tasty sticky food, and then the glue expands inside the dog. The dogs survive, though I imagine the vet bill is pretty steep.  :o

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »
So now that the brackets are done I gotta install them - jam was to be last night, but got moved to Thursday so under the gun a bit (though I guess I could use another bass [twitch] NO EXCUSES!).  Anywho, the current state of affairs (notice the tape - I have to smooth down the tape on the neck pup a couple times per jam to keep it from muting the G string; a pathetic way to live)

Also under the shop lights I realised how much I had let Paula go; just filthy.  Anyway, moving on to show the root problem (I tossed the foam that was under the pups - yeah that was me who did that):

Close up of Neck (bottom tab cracked off):

... and Bridge (both top and bottom tabs cracked off):

So it looks like I inheritted it (partially) this way - looks like there`s a lot of material missing from the top tab area of the bridge pup and the bottom tab on the neck pup has a previous fix along the edge of the bushing).  I dunno what glue the former owner used but it was stronger than my shitty gorilla glue attempts (scraping that shit off with a razor blade was a pain, but necessary).

I grabbed some JD Weld (Quickweld, because a. dries clear, b. claimed it sets in 5 minutes, though more like 10 and c. only one that explicitly said it was good with plastics and metal on the package).  The stuff smells like ass.  Never used it before so figured I'd try fixing the neck pup first, but mixed too much so did the one side of the bridge pup as well (what a pain - due to the missing material I kept having to adjust and was worried it'd set up when not in position - eventually I taped it in place and hoped the tape wouldn`t stick - it didn`t).

You may have also noticed that I cleaned her up a bit while I was at it (had to clean the pups to prep for glue anyway) ... cleaned and conditioned the board too - been a while and the studio is a bit dry (except when we had that flood last Jan); Paula deserves better, I've been neglectful (I just realised the other week that since my beer gut has grown, my belt buckle has really done a number of her back side; shame on me).

Next comes test fitting the brackets (I may have to shave a bit more off the curved edge as each pup is a bit different), then glue on the 3rd cracked tab and I think I will fill that gap between cover's inside edge and coil with epoxy so as to increase the surface area of the broken tabs that is contacting the main unit.  I tried to do that a bit on the neck pup there, but I didn't mix up enough and it kept flowing away down the pup, so figured I could do that in a second layer - any opinions if that's a good/bad idea?  I just never wanna have to worry about this again.

Anyway, after setting up it already feels damn strong.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 02:37:54 PM by Granny Gremlin »

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 06:28:42 PM »
I dig that pickquard  :thumbsup:

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 09:49:54 PM »
I like the trapeze . I did the same on my eb2.
Louder bass!.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 09:01:57 AM »
I dig that pickquard  :thumbsup:

Thanks. Original came with a crack at the jack. Scanned it, took a negative and mirror imaged it, and then printed it on transparent film to use as an overlay on top of the pc of Aluminum I cut out. I have that up online somewhere; think a few dudes have used it now.

Trapeze are just cool and generally a good idea - great way to resolve the Evertilt problem on an EB2
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:15:54 AM by Granny Gremlin »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 10:05:15 AM »
A masterful repair - urine Triumph, Jake, no doubt!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 10:13:41 AM »
Not even done yet.

Epoxied on the 2nd tab on the bridge pup and filled in the gap (as mentioned above) on both pups. I would have glued on the braces while I was at it, but I think I should sand off some squeezeout / clean the things up generally first (need to let the epoxy fully cure before that - says full cure in an hour but it still feels soft so giving it the overnight). In any case I had to do some fitting for the bridge pup brace because, as I expected, the coil on that one is much closer to the edge of the cover than on the spare that I used as a model (hardly any gap to fill ); had to file back that curved edge considerably.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:55:44 PM by Granny Gremlin »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »
And the good thing is: Whenever you're busy with your hands, Jake, you don't argue as much!  :rimshot:

Now that wasn't me just now, evil old Dave W possessed my soul and made me write this - vis absoluta!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...