Author Topic: Kustom K200 Bass  (Read 10703 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Kustom K200 Bass
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 05:56:54 AM »
I like the pickup placement.

Yep.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 07:02:32 AM »
Did some more research and it looks like they only made guitars and basses for two or three years from 67 to 69 or so.  Someone on Reverb said they had heard that they only made 2000-3000 instruments during that time.  Makes it pretty rare and even better that it sounds good too!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 07:30:48 AM »
i thought i had seen just about everything but i never knew kustom made a bass. very nice.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 09:31:28 AM »
What is the body made of? It's so glossy and curvy it brings to mind molded plastic or fiberglass or something! Probably it's wood and that's just an impression i get?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 10:30:51 AM »
IIRC they were wood.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 10:53:19 AM »
Yes, it's wood.  The finish is a dark trans-red. The wood is has some nice figuring in it too.  It's clearly maple.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
I had no idea they made anything other than amps. I like it.

Me either!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 11:46:07 AM »
Yes, it's wood.  The finish is a dark trans-red. The wood is has some nice figuring in it too.  It's clearly maple.

When I was a teenager, I had a tendency to focus on amps a lot.  Because I got such a great deal on a used one, I ended up with a Fender Bassman.  But what I really wanted was a Kustom amp.  This was my first case of major GAS.  It used to cause me to stay awake thinking about it.  It's no surprise that in 2016 I'm interested in a topic like this, but this time we're, of course, talking about Kustom basses.   Maybe I still automatically associate Kustom with GAS than would be the case with most people, though, because of my teenage experiences. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 12:50:31 PM »
i still have a kustom tuck and roll 2x12 cab in the basement. a rat ate a junk out of it but its still in good shape. >:(
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 05:48:44 PM »
LOVED that sparkly tuck n' roll cover!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
When I was a teenager, I had a tendency to focus on amps a lot.  Because I got such a great deal on a used one, I ended up with a Fender Bassman.  But what I really wanted was a Kustom amp.  This was my first case of major GAS.  It used to cause me to stay awake thinking about it.  It's no surprise that in 2016 I'm interested in a topic like this, but this time we're, of course, talking about Kustom basses.   Maybe I still automatically associate Kustom with GAS than would be the case with most people, though, because of my teenage experiences.

Your gas is understandable!  In fact, there have been some beautiful Kustom amps on eBay recently and some of the prices looked pretty reasonable to me. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »
LOVED that sparkly tuck n' roll cover!!!

Yeah, they were pretty cool looking and original.  I'd love to hear one to see how it sounds.  Never saw one up close as a kid.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 06:49:41 PM »
Your gas is understandable!  In fact, there have been some beautiful Kustom amps on eBay recently and some of the prices looked pretty reasonable to me.

I am sure I posted this article somewhere years ago, but I think it must not have been here.  But this is a good article about Kustom amps. 

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/07/24/old-school-1960s-kustom-model-200-tuck-roll-bass-amplifier/
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 07:10:39 PM »
Kustom amps are pretty crappy, very underpowered and tinny. There were tons of them locally a few years ago, but as music stores disappeared, so did they.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 08:12:13 PM »
Kustom amps are pretty crappy, very underpowered and tinny. There were tons of them locally a few years ago, but as music stores disappeared, so did they.

I think that could be said about most amps during this time period.  I thought the Fender Bassman I played as a teenager was crappy, too.  Now if you tried to play bass through something like that, you'd get some stares.  At best it might be used as a guitar amp now.  But for a while, not very long, Kustom amps were popular. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:17:27 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal