Author Topic: Kustom K200 Bass  (Read 10691 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Kustom K200 Bass
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 08:49:43 PM »
Kustom amps are pretty crappy, very underpowered and tinny. There were tons of them locally a few years ago, but as music stores disappeared, so did they.

Even compared to other solid state amps with the same watts, they were way underpowered.

I remember that Fogerty used Kustom amps onstage, don't know about recording. They did look cool. I was never impressed with the tone. They weren't any worse than most other solid state amps available back then, but that's not saying much.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 09:00:36 PM »
Even compared to other solid state amps with the same watts, they were way underpowered.

I remember that Fogerty used Kustom amps onstage, don't know about recording. They did look cool. I was never impressed with the tone. They weren't any worse than most other solid state amps available back then, but that's not saying much.

I found this on Wikipedia---(It's mostly about Kustom PA systems, though.)

Today, Kustom amplifiers are considered fairly collectible and are preferred by some vintage enthusiasts for their solid-state tone. Rockabilly and Motown musicians originally used these amps. Other artists known for using the Kustom brand for live performances are Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Altamonts, Dusty Murphy, 3 and Sheryl Crow. Some of the most famous Kustom P.A. users include Creedence Clearwater Revival, Leon Russell, Johnny Cash, Roy Clark, The Jackson 5, Carl Perkins, Alun Tan Lan (Y Niwl), and The Carpenters. CCR toured from mid-1969 - 1972 using their own massive Kustom 400 PA system due to a lack of quality backline PA systems in venues at that time. As a result, CCR concerts were superior in sound quality, but the cost of transporting the equipment made touring a money losing deal for the band.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:59:33 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 05:01:09 AM »
Yeah,  my old B-15 sounded great until you turned it up!  I was really able to fill a large hall when I went SVT with two 15" speakers and the tone was pretty good.  I never thought the old Bassmans and the like handled larger venues well.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2016, 06:21:55 AM »
On one record an old band did I used the studio's Kustom into my MM 115RH.  It was a really good combo.  I'm not sure if it was a proper bass head, guitar head or PA head, but it was a 100 watter model (which was not 100 watts - the 200  was 100 watts into 4 ohms.... probably why folks found them underpowered).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:02:35 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2016, 06:57:38 AM »
   That's a beauty Bill!  Where did you find it?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
   That's a beauty Bill!  Where did you find it?

Where else?  eBay.  Been watching them for a couple years.  They often are beat up or the finish has turned to some horrible color of green.  This is a really nice example of the bass they made.  Too bad they didn't catch on.  Oh well, it makes them rare anyway! 

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »
They were more powerful than most affordable amps at the time.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 07:09:58 PM »
They were more powerful than most affordable amps at the time.
Yes and at the time they didn't sound so bad if you needed power.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 01:16:20 PM »
I noticed a couple on reverb advertised as being made out of oak.  Not sure if they really are or if it's just a stain effect that looks like oak but if they are I wonder what that sounds like...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2016, 08:04:32 AM »
I found its brother, I think...and pricey!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Kustom-K200-Bass-Natural-Finish-with-Case-/271993945755?hash=item3f541a3e9b:g:CsMAAOSwMmBV3yYq

Yeah, I think that's high for the condition.  Mine has some minor checking and a few dings.  No big player wear spots or other issues.  Still a cool bass!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2016, 08:05:54 AM »
I noticed a couple on reverb advertised as being made out of oak.  Not sure if they really are or if it's just a stain effect that looks like oak but if they are I wonder what that sounds like...

I haven't seen an oak one, but anything is possible.  There's a bunch of guitar versions on Reverb last time I looked.  None were oak IIRC.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »
I found some information about the guitars in this article. It says the guitars came with DeArmond pickups. If that's correct, it's likely the basses did too.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 04:59:11 AM »
This is the one I saw advertised as oak...I'm not sure that it really is but the seller seams to think so.  It could also be a the stain effect that gives him that impression.

https://reverb.com/item/1462658-kustom-k200b-vintage-1968-semi-hollow-body-electric-guitar-w-bag-usa

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:07 AM »
I found some information about the guitars in this article. It says the guitars came with DeArmond pickups. If that's correct, it's likely the basses did too.

I read the bass pups where DeArmond.