Author Topic: I could see a few of you guys doing this in 20 or 30 years  (Read 5256 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I could see a few of you guys doing this in 20 or 30 years
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »
Some might call this project a hobby, others would say it’s an obsession. A 96 year-old man spent an entire 15 years hand-creating a model town that is so large and so detailed, you won’t be able to believe that only one man was responsible for it. Some labors of love border on the insane.

http://www.viralnova.com/train-town-project/

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: I could see a few of you guys doing this in 20 or 30 years
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
OUT, MAN!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:26:45 PM »

Model trains are such a pleasant form of insanity........

15 years at it makes him a short timer, I've building trains seriously since 1978...... I don't have a loyout to show for it yet! 8)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »
My elder brother is a model trainster too. It happens in the best of families. Hey, it could be worse, he could be a mass murderer. He's given new meaning to the slice of personal philosophy that the h0 journey is more important than the Faller destination. Model trainsters, you should note, don't really want to get something done. The concept alone fills them with dread/derails them.

Do protect your children from it.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 10:53:14 PM »
 I can't argue the point Uwe, you're right!

But it's a pleasant trip.

I am slowly prepping part of my garage, it's been primered in white, now I have to paint sky and clouds - then hang the Vietnam era B-52 overhead!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:10:03 AM »

I am slowly prepping part of my garage, it's been primered in white, now I have to paint sky and clouds - then hang the Vietnam era B-52 overhead!

WaaaaOOOooowwww!!   :popcorn:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 03:49:39 PM »
Obsessive...? Obsessive....?

Nah... utter nonsense...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »

An Agent Orange scenario could save you some bucks on all those model trees and Iceland moss! You guys still use Iceland moss , right?  :mrgreen:

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
That guy looks like Ginger Baker does now
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »
An Agent Orange scenario could save you some bucks on all those model trees and Iceland moss! You guys still use Iceland moss , right?  :mrgreen:

Perhaps there's some irony or humor in that I'm attempting to model Central Utah........not a lot trees there, most passed through as finished lumber products from the forests of Washington, Oregon and California.

I beliove you're reffering to Lichen btw  ;) 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 04:35:42 AM »
Oh, ist that the term in the US then? It's "Island Moos" in Germany, I took it from there. This stuff here:

I'm sure it must be unecological as hell to use this stuff today! Model trainster all over the world are the reason why Iceland looks like this!!!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 08:14:24 AM »
There's a larger scale (what's bigger than HO? I'm not a train guy) display about twice the size of that man's that one guy built that goes up every year at the Christmas fundraiser for the local Children's Hospital, which is held in the Knoxville Convention Center. It has rivers with real running water and a grist mill and all kinds of stuff. The fundraiser is to sell theme-decorated Christmas trees that are donated by corporate sponsors and usually decorated by their employees. There are also fantastic gingerbread house creations. Had my wife not worked for the hospital and seen firsthand where most of that money goes, I'd be even more upbeat and have some pics, but I passed on free tickets every year that the TV station got because of the way my wife was treated. I also never worked any of their telethons.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »
Oh, ist that the term in the US then? It's "Island Moos" in Germany, I took it from there. This stuff here:

I'm sure it must be unecological as hell to use this stuff today! Model trainster all over the world are the reason why Iceland looks like this!!!

Actually, I'm pretty sure Iceland's deforestation is Ritchie Blackmore's fault  ;)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »

I'm surprised you haven't opted for a recreation of The Bridge Over the River Kwai.  It has trains and WWII all together.  You'd barely be able to contain yourself.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »
OMG (or in this case OME = Oh my Emperor!) - my brother had that too!

That bridge was, if memory serves, poorly designed (albeit under supervision of our Pacific Axis partners), it didn't last very long.