Author Topic: I could see a few of you guys doing this in 20 or 30 years  (Read 5295 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: I could see a few of you guys doing this in 20 or 30 years
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »

Actually, I'm pretty sure Iceland's deforestation is Ritchie Blackmore's fault  ;)

That's an outright lie, the man has restored foilage when- and wherever he could!

YOUR FUR IS MINE, KITTY!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 03:03:41 PM »
That bridge was, if memory serves, poorly designed (albeit under supervision of our Pacific Axis partners), it didn't last very long.

Err.. technically speaking, it's still there, albeit over a river that is not named Kwai (there isn't one) and the film, the Railway Man (out next year) details some of this...

There are two classic modern titles (a friend got the author of one to sign a copy for me) on that bridge, and some friends have visited the site - the oddest bit was how close the stories ran, and that they both waited until the twilight of their lives (one has now passed) - the both had the following parallels... Singapore at the fall, Changi prison, the Death Railway (Kwai), the Death March, the Hell ships, being torpedoed by USofA subs and being rescued, if you could call it, by other Hell ships, making it to Japan, and witnessing Nagasaki, first hand... the book I have, the Forgotten Highlander, brings tears to the eyes; a more harrowing single account of war I have never read; combined books on Japanese war crimes are medieval in their barbarity...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 03:20:36 PM »
o guage trains here.  but no running sets since the kids....   I figure when they are all out and I am retired that will become my fulltime hobby.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM