Author Topic: EKO bass pickups  (Read 1809 times)

Bernardduur

• View Profile
EKO bass pickups
« on: August 14, 2008, 07:44:16 AM »
Help! My EKO Barracuda bass is awesome but the bridge pickup is dead. I tried several ways to check if it is the pickup or something else but it is the pickup for sure!

So, anyone recognises this pickup or has one they can offer me?
Thanks!

Some images:

Full one pelvic bass shaggin'

Technophobia; pedals and more

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: EKO bass pickups
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
Hey - I just realized that pickup looks a LOT like the Hi-Flyer pickups I recently bought.  I'll measure them when I get home and see how they compare to the ones I received.  The mounting ears are in the same place, so IF they fit, you might be in luck.

Later edit: no luck. The pickups I got are 7.6 CM wide, 2.3 CM tall and 3.4 CM front to back. String spacing between the edges of poles 3 and 4 is 1 CM. Doesn't look like a fit.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:31:36 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:46:08 AM »
Yes, I already had someone hint me for that........ too bad they are too big.........

I had some talk with a store that bought the leftover of EKO; the shops owner visits Italy in a week or so and checks with the stock if there is a suitable one there.

Also, I had an offer on another EKO bass; it should have the same pickups. Maybe take out the pickups, put in some other ones and sell it again.
Full one pelvic bass shaggin'

Technophobia; pedals and more

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
Given the EKO pictures in your other thread, if you can get another hollowbody you can easily put aftermarket pickups in #2, and have two similar basses with different sounds.  That bass would be easy to retrofit with other pickups, including the Eastwood ones - provided the string spacing wasn't too far off.  In fact........take a look at these pickups from a 70's Matsumoku product.....I don't think I'm going to use them, and I'm pretty sure they came out of a hollowbody similar to the EKO in your other thread:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:18:52 PM »
those remind me of DeArmond Turbo Jet pups.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 08:49:28 AM »
Me too - I bought them on an Ebay auction about two years ago.  They look very much like the ones Angela.com sells.

But they also are a visual match for the bass pickups on the Matsumoku-built instruments of the 70's.  I have seen pickups which are visually identical on Lyle, Univox and Epiphone basses of that era.  You'll also note that the trim rings are with them - although with multiple coats of paint, bue at least they can be used as templates.