Author Topic: EKO Barracuda;  (Read 9712 times)

Bernardduur

• View Profile
EKO Barracuda;
« on: August 14, 2008, 06:03:52 AM »
I got to this page by some friends on another bass forum and just have to show my new bass...... she is so nice, open and good sounding.

The EKO Barracuda

Hollowbody bass, Gibson ES type of body, bolt on neck. A tad neck heavy but still good playable standing up. 2 pickups, pickup selector switch, 2x tone, 2x volume controls (500k log for volume, 250k lin for tone; 100n for neck, 47n for bridge pickup). Frequency compensated tailpiece, roller bridge and strung with flatwounds. WOW

The sound is awesome....... although the bridge pickup is dead :(. One minor defect was the HUGE action; added a small piece of wood in the neck pocket to raise the neck a bit.

Full one pelvic bass shaggin'

Technophobia; pedals and more

Bernardduur

• View Profile
Re: EKO Barracuda;
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 06:07:15 AM »
The bridge pickup is declared dead......... sealed in and no "good" way to get her out. I can't measure any DC resistance (but a very faint sound is heard when played through an amp turned up)........ shame.

None can be found on ebay and more. Maybe someone here recognises the pickup and can help me out with a replacement. Some more pics:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:13:50 AM »
Welcome Rogier. Nice to see you here too  8)

Already told you so,
but once again: That is a stunning beauty you found!

Sure hope any of the gentlemen here can help you find a good replacement for the bridge pup.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
Welcome, great bass!

Guys: Rogier is a great FX designer. Let's be nice to him and maybe he stays here for advice on stomp boxes.

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »
Thanks for the kind words........ I'm not going anywhere so I'll stay here for a while :)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »
 Welcome, and wow cool bass!
Wish I had something helpful to add in terms of the pick up, they look like single coils. Could they be both replaced with something new like a Seymour Duncan '51 P bass?

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 09:46:59 AM »
They are single coils, yes! The known "single-coil-hum" is there :)

Dunno about the SD; will try to find the same pickup first........

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:02:47 AM »
welcome, Bernardduur.  that's a nice looking bass, I like the controls placed along the edge of the body!  good luck finding an original pickup, perhaps you'll be able find one on Ebay.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:26:02 PM »
If really pressed, couldn't he send that pickup to a rebuilder and have it re-wound?  I don't see any reason it could not be opened up from the bottom, re-wound and re-assembled afterward.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »
Welcome aboard, Rogier. The only place I know of that might still have surplus Eko parts would be Subway Guitars in Berkeley, California. Some years ago I believe they bought the remaining inventory from the LoDuca Brothers, who imported Eko to the US. Unfortunately their website is years out of date and they have a reputation for not responding to emails.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 05:32:29 PM »
If really pressed, couldn't he send that pickup to a rebuilder and have it re-wound?  I don't see any reason it could not be opened up from the bottom, re-wound and re-assembled afterward.

He said there's no good way to get it out, so it may be potted in epoxy. If so, it can't be rewound, and the housing probably can't be reused.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »
I had remembered reading about a guy who bought out the remaining stock from Eko when they shut down.  I couldn't remember any other details, but I finally found the guy's website again:

http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/

It says he has "various Eko guitar and bass pickups" available, but not sure how up-to-date that info is.  Definitely worth an inquiry, though.

Welcome... and beautiful bass, by the way!  Its finish reminds me a bit of the walnut EB-2s.

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:36:10 AM »
He said there's no good way to get it out, so it may be potted in epoxy. If so, it can't be rewound, and the housing probably can't be reused.

Yep; and using Aceton does not work either :) I have send some mails to the webpages you suggested so lets hope they respond.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 09:54:50 AM »

Yes, if potted in epoxy, then that old pickup is indeed a brick!

If he wants to contact Subway guitars, I believe that I read on their website that they prefer phone calls - but that's not a good option for someone overseas.  I hope the other EKO lead works for him, or that FatDog actually bothers to return an email.

If not, I think he'll be forced to find size-compatible pickups and replace them.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bassbuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 01:21:41 PM »
Hello Bernardduur
I own one too, with similar, but white pickups, do I see right that the pickups look painted or sprayed? Maybe you should also look for white ones.
The one I own misses the original tailpiece....
I envie you in that respect. I have my bass since 1974 and I'm still in love with it. If anyone could help me to get the original tailpiece he or she would make me very happy.

Bassbuddy