Author Topic: Last Night in Oberhausen, Germany ...  (Read 3977 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Last Night in Oberhausen, Germany ...
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:03:46 AM »
... with Ms. Witz' son being the subject (again!) in other threads I thought I should not hide this from you ... They were better than two years ago when I last saw them, not as rusty, better selection of songs, Paul's voice fit for the high notes, the Axe bass sounding miraculously better than the Punisher and Thommy not such a musical Ace clone. Real good version of a stripped down Beth unplugged with Eric sing(er)ing ... and even some impromptu jamming in songs ...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:20:46 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Last Night in Oberhausen, Germany ...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:28:13 AM »
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore...

Nice one Herrr Hornung... just as well they never retired... :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »
last time i saw them was new years eve at Nassau Coleseum - probably 1980-81.  Entertaining...

once was enough for me.

Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:51:39 AM »
once was enough for me.

Me too, saw them in Corpus Christi,TX in 1980(?), I really went for the opening act, The Plasmatics, but stayed for Kiss.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:54:23 PM »
Saw them in London, Hammersmith, for two nights in '76...

Unlikely to repeat those perfect nights now...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 02:42:08 PM »
I saw them in '75 or was it '74 ? '77 and '81 right before they took off the make up. They are going to be close this summer maybe I can get tickets from my brother in law.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hornisse

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »
Saw them in '84 at Palmer Auditorium (RIP) on the Lick It Up Tour.  Vinnie Vincent had 7 Jackson Randy Rhodes guitars and they kicked ass.  Gene was playing a single pickup Pedulla and Paul had the leopard print BC Rich Eagle.  Eric Carr was a fantastic drummer.  Last time was the 2000 "Farewell" tour when Ace and Peter were still in the band. 

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:00:55 AM »
Cool man. Thanks for the pics. I've kind of gotten used to the idea of the "scabs" in the band. KISS is kind of like a Vegas act at this point anyway. It is good to know though, that underneath it all, there still is a pretty decent caveman rock band.  ;D

Tours I've seen:
Destroyer
Alive II
Lick it Up
Animalize
Revenge
reunion '96
"farewell" 2000

I think I'm about done!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 09:42:13 AM »
They sold out a 12,000 seater (or "stander") rapidly in Oberhausen. At ticket prices of 70-110 bucks. That is pretty amazing for a band that never really sold its records well in Germany. Similarly to the Rolling Stones, a lot more people go to a Kiss concert than buy their albums. And they played three titles off Sonic Boom and their Slade pastiche "Crazy, Crazy Nights", an acoustic "Beth" and Argent's "God gave RnR to you". I very much preferred that to the last tour where they dwelled on reproducing their first Alive album completely and slavishly which at least in part hasn't aged very well at all regarding the compositional nutrition value. Never the most credible of heavy metal acts, even when they tried, I prefer poppy Kiss (Dressed to kill, Destroyer, Dynasty, Crazy Nights etc) to the more heavy-handed one.

If only they had done "Anything for my baby" too! That always sounded like an Archies number to me and I love Simmons' old style rock'n'roll bass playing on it.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:51:10 AM by uwe »

Hornisse

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 02:33:48 PM »
I think Dressed To Kill is among my favorite LP's. 

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
Those pics bring back fond memories of the show I saw at Cumberland County Arena when my dad took me. What a great time. Many layers of colored smoke, some of which were not caused by the band. Heh.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 04:39:13 AM »
It's always a bit scary. 12.000 Germans together on a zeppelin field or in a great hall, black uniforms on stage, those double-S'es in runen signs, takin about a 'world tour'...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 04:56:33 AM »

Sorry... couldn't resist reposting this one...  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 01:16:50 AM »
This was actually the first time I saw them use their trademark SS runes (once coyly described by Simmons as "just the US sign for high voltage electricity" - I'm not sure whether that is what they were alluding to when they introduced it) in Germany, in the past, all German releases of Kiss product used a reverse double-Z:

not the runes as here:

The German release of the legendary first Alive album had the logo covered by one without the runes and even Peter's bass drum, which featured the name Kiss with runes too, was crudely airbrushed.

The SS runes are outlawed in Germany (just like the swastika or the abbreviation "NS", hence no swastika decals in model kits destined for Germany), using them outside of a historical-documentary context is a crime/felony. Kiss were never treated as an exception though Paul's and Gene's jewish origins probably exonerate them from any Nazi sympathies. How Gene's mom, an Auschwitz survivor, feels when she sees the runes in the logo of her son's band is not known, hopefully she does associate them first and foremost with high voltage electricity.

In the past, Kiss have had skirmishes with German authorities, complaining that "Germany is the one and only country in the world where we are not allowed to use our trademarked logo".  It seems like this time they struck a deal with the authorities/prosecutors. Knowing the Kiss organisation, I'm sure they did not leave it up to chance. But it's still a thorny subject in Germany. While Kiss' jewish origins are hardly known in Germany, the fact that they use the SS runes certainly is and I remember catching some flak at school in the late seventies for "liking a Nazi band". Wearing a Kiss t-shirt with the runes would have very likely seen me kicked from school (not that they were obtainable in Germany in any case).

Uwe
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:23:11 AM by uwe »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 01:46:41 AM »
Thats amazing Uwe, I had no idea about any of that. I guess we are so far removed from it here that we dont even consider things like that.
Digresion our specialty!