Author Topic: I quit the band  (Read 7023 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
I quit the band
« on: July 21, 2016, 03:37:38 AM »
I’ve cut the knot and told the band I’m quitting. After I told the guys, they all said they had been planning to do the same. So we are doing our final gig tomorrow at a festival in Germany.
The band wasn’t really going anywhere anymore. We had trouble getting decent gigs. And we had trouble keeping the focus on the band and creating new music. After five years of good fun, it’s time to move on.

It’s a weird feeling for me to be without a band. I’ve been playing in a band since 1984. And the bands were almost always overlapping. The only time I was not in a band was sixteen years ago, when took a few months off after Bittermoon had folded.

I have no idea what I’m going to do. Don’t feel like starting up a new band just yet. I don’t think I could find the energy…
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:54:31 AM by Basvarken »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: I quit the band
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 04:47:44 AM »
There comes a time when change is due.  Even the icons of our youth knew it.  I always enjoyed the clips I heard from your bands, but I know what you're feeling.  It's good that everyone else was thinking along the same lines as you.  You were able to discuss it and reach an agreement.

The future holds what the future holds.  Face it with enthusiasm and anticipation.  I wish you the best of luck in all things.   8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
Sounds very amicable, so congrats on that. Don't worry about finding another band. Enjoy a little time off, and something will for sure come along that makes you want to jump in again.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:27:57 AM »
Thank you Gary
Thank you Tom
  :toast:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 07:42:10 AM »
Don't sweat it. From personal experience, things change as you acquire more responsibilities and your interest in other things broadens. These days, I find that even just getting together with other people in the same boat every now and again and jamming on covers is enough. It's still playing, and it sharpens you in ways you wouldn't expect. Plus, as we get older, we have less tolerance for other people's crap - at least in my case ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 07:49:29 AM »
Yup, give it a while and you'll find that you're ready to do it again.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 09:35:19 AM »
I feel for you.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Been without a band since November last year. It seems impossible these days to find a band that is neither a tribute nor a cover band. I want to be with people who still like to create their own music - without being in their early 20ies and dreaming of stardom. People who want to do that and are, say, in their 30ies and 40ies or above and not professionals seem to be a dying breed. Extremely frustrating. When was that rule "from a certain age onwards, you only do covers" introduced?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 09:57:32 AM »
Thank you guys.
And yes, Uwe; you hit the nail on the head.
Nowadays you cannot get a decent gig if you're playing originals. Except if your band gets serious airplay.
A tribute band is not my cup of tea. Been there and done that in the early nineties when tribute bands hadn't even been invented. I got bored pretty quick.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 10:57:44 AM »

Good luck Rob, it sounds like this was the best thing for all concerned. Some time away from it will no doubt be a good thing, a new project is out there just waiting when you're ready.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 11:07:49 AM »
This all sounds too familiar.  I've been in an all originals band for the last 7 years since I moving to Atlanta and we are lucky to play 1 gig every couple months.  Typically those end up being at the same handful of venues.  We usually have a decent draw on our own but more and more of our gigs end up being as an opening act for whoever is coming through town.  It always feels great to get out and play as well as spend the time in the studio but ultimately the reward vs work involved for so few shows gets difficult to justify.  We head into the studio next month and I expect it will probably be my last record with the band...then again, I think I said that after the last one so who knows...

Edited to add..No regrets though.  If it hadn't been for playing in this band I would have never met my beautiful wife!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 03:18:39 PM »
I understand, Rob. Sometimes you know it's time to call it a day when you can't seem to get beyond a certain point. There aren't enough people who like to hear new music to support all the good bands playing their own songs.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 03:36:42 PM »
All I can say is reiterating the bide your time and wait until the time is right... I don't think I can do pure covers; just not me... not doing anything at present... good luck...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »
All I can say is reiterating the bide your time and wait until the time is right... I don't think I can do pure covers; just not me... not doing anything at present... good luck...!
\
Same here but I agree with the advice.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 07:19:33 PM »
I'm glad it ended up being amicable, Rob, and I hope you find the right creative outlet when the time is right. And congratulations on the nuptials!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 10:52:34 PM »
I'm not getting married!