Author Topic: NBD Vintage modified precision (Tele bass with Humbucker)  (Read 9654 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
NBD Vintage modified precision (Tele bass with Humbucker)
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:09:38 AM »
 Back when I first started out I used to just drool over the blond/maple Tele bass in the '72 Fender catalog.  I spent hours daydreaming about that bass. As I got older Gibsons became my thing but I have always had a soft spot in my heart for these basses. In the early '80s I picked  one up for like $125, factory CAR ! I soon sold it being young and foolish. Now the prices on these things astound me so I thought the Vintage Modified might scratch this itch nicely.  I had a bit left in my bass account and what usually happens if left sitting for to long is the funds somehow get siphoned off into the household account. I am looking forward to this beast :) Pictures later today.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
Re: NBD Vintage modified precision (Tele bass with Humbucker)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 08:29:40 AM »
i had a black 72 that i also sold and would love to have back. i have had an eye on the squire tele for awhile now and would like to hear a report on it.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:35:01 AM »
I look forward to hearing more - the Vintage Modified series in general has been a big hit with bass players everywhere. 

Pickshoors are, of course, highly anticipated.....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »
 I have checked them out in stores for the $ they did a bang up job, the only thing I don't like is the satin finish on the neck, if they did a gloss like on the Classic Vibe 50's P I think it would be about perfect. I most likley will shoot the neck in gloss and put a Fender decal on. :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »
I won't comment on the decal......

Some guys really dislike gloss finishes; evidently they feel like it slows them down.  Others really like the gloss, which I do prefer on color-matched necks. 

I find myself liking the feel of the satin finish on the necks of my Jag and Bronco.  It's not a big deal to me what kind of finish is there, but the satin is okey-dokey with me. 

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
love my 72.   killed the value but added the second pup in 85 before these basses had any interest and  IMO it makes it a more useful bass... Also had another SB one in late 70's that i added 2 j pups too.   later sold that body but kept the neck.. 

These  fender reissue pups are much closer than the lousy epi mudbuckers.  Lotto bass in your future???

I love the faces when i show up with one of these

Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 09:08:03 AM »
Had a '72, had to sell it to pay my sister back for bailing me out of jail. Think I paid around $235-250 for it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:20:05 AM »
love my 72.   killed the value but added the second pup in 85 before these basses had any interest and  IMO it makes it a more useful bass... Also had another SB one in late 70's that i added 2 j pups too.   later sold that body but kept the neck..  

These  fender reissue pups are much closer than the lousy epi mudbuckers.  Lotto bass in your future???

I love the faces when i show up with one of these

That is a cool mod on your '72 I like it alot, always liked those single coil pups pretty gritty sounding. Lotto bass ? Naw cool but not 6K cool!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:51:11 AM by godofthunder »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »
Its here ! Gave it a quick set up, plays great, very well made, STUNNING looking. Man this thing has big wooly balls. Gives the original a run for it's money. pics coming.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »
Pics!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 04:17:11 PM »
THAT is pretty!! Beautiful finish, and the wood grain on that body is really nice.

Glad to see there are some other Fender fans here.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:41:50 PM »
i understand the top is veneer. wonder why.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »
The top and back are veenered, Ash over basswood. A cost saving measure I am sure but it does make me wonder when SX can sell a Fender clone with a solid Ash body for $159.00 why Squier could not have made this bass with a solid ash body for $299.00. My SX SJB75 with three piece solid Ash body, a really great playing and sounding bass.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:50:40 AM by godofthunder »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 07:10:01 PM »
 The fret work on the Squier is very good, no sharp ends and nicely dressed. Man I am happy for kids starting out theses days. From Squier for $150-$350 you can get a well made,  great sounding and playing bass. A far cry from the Kingston Jazz Bass wanna be I stared out on. I'd gig this thing in a heart beat, I decided I like the satin neck no need for refin or decal.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 01:14:29 AM »
She's got a great neck, plays like butter stringed with a Heavy Medium set. It's one of the 3 long scales I intend to keep as long as my left hand will allow ..... Even modded the modified ...  ;D

Experience is the ultimate teacher