Author Topic: Reasonable 70's EB-0 on Minneapolis Craigslist...............  (Read 3039 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Reasonable 70's EB-0 on Minneapolis Craigslist...............
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »
Objection, your honor!!! The mudbucker on a seventies model does sound clearer than either on a mid-sixties or a slothead, it still has ample bass, but also a semblance of treble and presence, not all mids like the mid-sixties or all subwoof like the slotheads. That might be due to the more middle position or the altering of those pups or both. The varitone set-up on the seventies models is certainly different and makes more sense (all four positions can be used with the volume of the amp in the same setting).

The sound of the bass on Golden Earring's studio version of Radar Love is a seventies EB-3 (or EB-O), that sound would habe been unattainable with a mid-sixties or slothead EB.

I strongly disagree, even though I don't have a law license.  :P

The late 70s mudbuckers were a redesign, but hardly any of them were sold. The early 70s ones were the same, just moved a little. Like the earlier years, there's just not a lot going on above about 1khz.

Radar Love was recorded on an EB-3. Different options there.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
Yeah, but just moving the thing away from right-up-at-the-neck could make a significant difference (though Gibson might have also done that for other reasons, most notably, structural integrity - on an SG body there ain't that much wood in the neck joint area to begin with, and that's why the second most common 60s EB3/0 injury, after headstocks as with most old Gibsons, is the neck joint... mine in fact came to me with a rather solid neck joint repair; see that sliver of non-stained mahogany above the mudbucker, sorry for the crappy old pic).

.... also the mudbucker totally has response above 1K.... not much more, but more.... and it might not be worth writing home about, so nevermind.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:37:38 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »
Objection, your honor!!! The mudbucker on a seventies model does sound clearer than either on a mid-sixties or a slothead, it still has ample bass, but also a semblance of treble and presence, not all mids like the mid-sixties or all subwoof like the slotheads. That might be due to the more middle position or the altering of those pups or both. The varitone set-up on the seventies models is certainly different and makes more sense (all four positions can be used with the volume of the amp in the same setting).

The sound of the bass on Golden Earring's studio version of Radar Love is a seventies EB-3 (or EB-O), that sound would habe been unattainable with a mid-sixties or slothead EB.

Whether one prefers the 60s or 70s, (and I'm more familiar with 60s models,) the 70s EB-3 did work out well on a number of songs on the Moontan album besides Radar Love, at least in my opinion.  Of course, that would be Candy's Going Bad, The Vanilla Queen, etc.  I used to think the EB-3 was only used on Radar Love; obviously, that isn't so. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
I strongly disagree, even though I don't have a law license.  :P

The late 70s mudbuckers were a redesign, but hardly any of them were sold. The early 70s ones were the same, just moved a little. Like the earlier years, there's just not a lot going on above about 1khz.

Radar Love was recorded on an EB-3. Different options there.

I should have said "1973 onwards, maple neck EB-0 or -3". Of course the very early seventies EBs sounded the same as their sixties brethren. For me, the "seventies" EB-0s and -3s began only in 73 (or perhaps 72) as a discernible breed. I do own a 76 EB-3 which is pretty much as late as these got. It sounds hugely d ifferent to my Slothead EB-3 from 69, but hardly different to my 73 EB-3L (scale aspectd ignored). Either the change was already in 73 or the later change wasn't that substantial. The 73 model already has the different varitone wiring too, wouldn't that have invited a pup redesign as well?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...