Author Topic: Incoming B-15N?  (Read 3837 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Incoming B-15N?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
Got the head back yesterday from its cross country trip to get capped and have the cord of death replaced by a 3 prong.  Sounds good and is very quiet, I changed out the original tubes with a matched set from Captain Bob on Fleabay.  The original power tubes have Ampeg logos on them, they must be worth MILLIONS.  Before leaving Oregon the head scoped flat down to 20Hz.  I decided not to mess with either tone circuit.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 04:58:23 PM »
The original power tubes have Ampeg logos on them, they must be worth MILLIONS.

Nah; the sheep on TB have been convinced that tubes are outdated crap and must be replaced every five minutes. If you want to get any money out of them, you'll need to digitally model their envelope curve and apply a freeware simulation of a bad-sounding cabinet using a white paper commisioned by CBS Fender and use a switchmode power supply, and guitards won't use them because they're afraid they'll lose all their highs.  ;D

Ampeg branded tubes are all Sylvania, BTW.  Also, isn't it amazing how the "inadequate output transformer" just happens to be flat down to 20 Hz?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:49:26 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 05:23:09 PM »
Darn, I thought I could retire...again.  I loved your description of the vintage Tbird pup sound on the Jeff Ament thread, sent your complete post to my buddy whose attempting to clone mine.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »
My guess is that Lindy wound and tested them on a guitar amp, never realizing that bass amps are different even in the input stage.  Their resistance is fairly low and given their overall output, I'll wager their magnets are pretty small too. I've never played a 60's Bird, but the ones from the 70's I've tried were way hella hotter. I'm thinking Lindy got the tone without necessarily copying the pickup closely.

It is weird to hear that Thunderbird snarl and be holding a Les Paul.