Author Topic: Incoming B-15N?  (Read 3838 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Incoming B-15N?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 10:15:11 AM »
Gives new meaning to "get rid of that unsightly bulge. "
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 03:27:49 PM »
Psychobass pm'd me and warned me not to turn it on again.  THANKS!  Get well soon.

I'm sending the chassis off to have a buddy attempt the resurrection and replace everything that isn't up to snuff.  Here's what he said agreeing with Psychobasses' diagnosis:
yes, this is very likely.  esp since it hasn't been played probably in years. the electrolytics (caps like the swollen ones) lose their film if they aren't charged up in a while, and they can be "reformed" by slowly raising the voltage up.  some of them still may not come back (like the swollen one-it's dead). sometimes they fail with a loud "pop", unravel their insides like a chinese new year popper,and smell like dead fish, for some reason.

As much fun as that sounds I think I'll take a pass on Ampeg sushi.

It's like finding your Christmas present and then having to wait until the big day to actually have it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 03:54:44 PM »
A task I have to perform on my Hiwatt before she gigs again...

Thta is one beautiful looking beastie... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

fealach

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 11:14:24 PM »
Does look pretty awesome.  Frustrating to have to wait, but it will be worth it.  Mine was in the shop for over a month after I bought it, glad to finally have it though compared to yours it looks to have been dragged behind a truck for 30 miles.  Sounds great though.  It works well with the guitarist playing through my 5 watt Blackstar, a feat only made possible by the drummer using my electronic kit.  He still hits them too darn hard but now I can turn him down...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:36 AM »
He still hits them too darn hard but now I can turn him down...

Every drummer's nightmare.

;D

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 10:00:06 PM »
Wow that amp is in amazing shape.  All things considered, a short wait while it gets recaped is a good problem to have!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 06:10:55 AM »
Wow that amp is in amazing shape.  All things considered, a short wait while it gets recaped is a good problem to have!

Yes, cannot complain.  It will only cost shipping to Oregon and back plus parts and provide a great deal of peace of mind.  The initial fear that I had a major problem has given way to slight disappointment and the possibility of different 'voicing' for channel 2 vs channel 1 using different cap types and/or values.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »
Great looking Portaflex!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 09:50:18 PM »
Yes, cannot complain.  It will only cost shipping to Oregon and back plus parts and provide a great deal of peace of mind.  The initial fear that I had a major problem has given way to slight disappointment and the possibility of different 'voicing' for channel 2 vs channel 1 using different cap types and/or values.

You can always use the theory that if one cap has gone, the other won't be far behind. Change both and match the values - each channel will have similar voicing.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 06:10:22 AM »
You can always use the theory that if one cap has gone, the other won't be far behind. Change both and match the values - each channel will have similar voicing.

Rereading my post I see I was unclear, different voicing on the 2 channels would be a good thing.  I want to keep channel one stock and tweak channel two.  My buddy has been building tube amps since the early 70s so I'm leaving it up to him.  He'll send me all the replaced parts as well as stock replacements for whatever is changed and keep them with the amp.  Sorry for the ambiguity.

I'm also looking forward to using the amp out on the B-15 to push my SVP-1500.  Except for the weight it might be the ultimate hybrid. ;D

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 09:22:58 PM »
woooo thats a sweet amp .rare as rocking horse poo in this country.
Louder bass!.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 08:51:11 PM »
Digresion our specialty!

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »
Rereading my post I see I was unclear, different voicing on the 2 channels would be a good thing.  I want to keep channel one stock and tweak channel two.  My buddy has been building tube amps since the early 70s so I'm leaving it up to him.  He'll send me all the replaced parts as well as stock replacements for whatever is changed and keep them with the amp.  Sorry for the ambiguity.

I'm also looking forward to using the amp out on the B-15 to push my SVP-1500.  Except for the weight it might be the ultimate hybrid. ;D
[[/img]

One thing to know also about the "Ext Jack" is that they aren't exactly like a modern "line out".  They work in tandem with another portaflex head, almost like a send/receive insert jack.  I've used mine as a line out to a tuner with no issue, and also into the power amp in section of a 3-pro with no problem, but I get horrible hum when trying this with my V4BH and a few other power amps.

Also another interesting thing that happend,  is when I connected a B-100R line out to the Portaflex head.  The B15 "receives" the signal just fine, but when  you send the B15 signal from the Ext Jack to the input of the B-100R, changing the B-100R's EQ and master volume will affect what you get out of the B15 as well, even though it should be "sending".

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 01:28:48 PM »
Thanks for all the info!  It's encouraging that your B15 works with a 3 Pro.  I have other options with the SVP, just thought it would be fun to see what the B15/SVP combination sounds like.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 02:49:09 PM »
Now all you need is a diamond blue headcase for the SVP and that would be a sweet looking monster rig!