Author Topic: Summer Fun: S.D. Curlee Restoration  (Read 14427 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Summer Fun: S.D. Curlee Restoration
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2011, 04:51:56 AM »
Too bad that you can see your entire hand or you could claim one SERIOUS case of Peyronie's disease. ;)

eb2

• View Profile
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2011, 12:28:07 AM »
Very nice work, Carlo... very nice work indeed...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »
all you need is gold type gibson "speed" knobs ( i think that what the called them)  and it will look lik ethe day it was made....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »
all you need is gold type gibson "speed" knobs ( i think that what the called them)  and it will look lik ethe day it was made....

Well, it's been 'over restored' compared to it's original finish and plays a lot better than when I got it.  I tried to restrain myself.  Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely pick up a set of speed knobs. 

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2011, 04:52:34 AM »

SD Curlee?

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2011, 06:24:05 AM »
Sure looks like it. Looks like it might be one of the very early ones I picked up for Robert.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2011, 08:19:15 AM »
Song peaked at #12 in the UK, Australia, USA and Canada in '79.  So fairly early at the latest.  Looks like mine, can't make out the pup.  I thought I flashed a split P at the beginning but it's probably that era's drug residue in my brain.

So it Goes for the Jesus of Cool.  My favorite bass producer of the mid '70s- '80s if only for 'Watching the Detectives' and all of the Bruce Thomas stuff with the Attractions.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »
Same - no flashbacks - saw Rockpile (which this is, just credited as Nick Lowe - Dave Edmunds on the acoustic, Billy Bremmner on lead and Terry Williams on the skins) stacks of times - got some pictures lurking round somewhere - used an eight string too iirc - One time saw them supporting Wishbone Ash (Laurie Wisefield era) - that was some night...!
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
Same - no flashbacks - saw Rockpile (which this is, just credited as Nick Lowe - Dave Edmunds on the acoustic, Billy Bremmner on lead and Terry Williams on the skins) stacks of times - got some pictures lurking round somewhere - used an eight string too iirc - One time saw them supporting Wishbone Ash (Laurie Wisefield era) - that was some night...!

Pretty much it was always Rockpile withe Lowe or Edmunds out front.  What a band!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2011, 06:38:11 PM »
Bruce Thomas rules. too bad he won't play with Elvis anymore
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »

I wore out the Rockpile LP!  I had the demo from the record store down from my music store I worked at.  Mine came with the Everly Brothers ala Edmunds and Lowe EP.  I saw them live when they supported that album - one of the best shows I've seen.  Nick played a daphne blue P that show - I remember that the vocals were spot on.

And I'm with Carlo - one of fav producers - all of the Elvis Costello he produced are favs as well.

Evidently Edmunds and Lowe had a falling out not long after that album and haven't worked together since - pitty :sad:

Now, of course, I have "Knife and Fork" from that album running through my brain ;)

EDIT:  Spent the last hour on you tube looking at Rockpile/Nick Lowe stuff - that was fun ;)  Here's the clip with the 8 string:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFIcv6w7ME&feature=related
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:06:42 PM by Lightyear »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2011, 09:38:43 AM »
Hamer shortie... nice find... 8)

Did you say blue P with cutlery...? ;D

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
Looks to be the same one. 

Now the damn song is stuck in my head again! ;D

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2011, 10:17:43 AM »
I just downloaded all the available Rockpile stuff from Spotify, 'Crawlin through the Wreckage' is currently stuck in mine.