Author Topic: Summer Fun: S.D. Curlee Restoration  (Read 14369 times)

ramone57

• View Profile
Re: Summer Fun: S.D. Curlee Restoration
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
I have a Presonus Firebox interface.  tried using with a turntable and couldn't get rid of a ground hum.  it's quiet as a church mouse in normal usage.   :sad:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »
This is part of the reason I have thought about the USB option as they roll in at around the £50 mark... I've never been what you would call a "buff" when it comes to hifi, hence my love of the MP3 format - the portability and the convenience far outweighs any other issues...

Those interfaces are USB devices. If you already have a decent turntable with a magnetic cartridge and diamond stylus, you'll get audibly better results by using that with an interface.

If you do get a USB turntable, be sure to buy a diamond stylus right away to replace the sapphire stylus most of them come with.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2011, 05:21:22 PM »
the Behringer interface will handle a line out from a tape deck or  receiver and also a direct box signal, I know that for certain.  They're $30 in the US, probably half that on Ebay used.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »
Yes, because they use a line level input. You can't connect a turntable directly without going through a phono preamp at some point.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2011, 01:02:09 AM »
:P

(70mph in a Merc Vito is my sound environment, with aircon - aka "wind the window down and drive faster") ;D

Philips makes some VERY nice inexpensive in-ear earbuds that do a great job of blocking out noise. I have them for Pandora on my phone and I must say, they sound nicer than the $6k Genelec studio monitors in the control room at work.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2011, 03:02:44 AM »
Yes, because they use a line level input. You can't connect a turntable directly without going through a phono preamp at some point.

A Thriftshop 70s Sansui 661 receiver does that for me.  One of the last with a wood veneer on plywood case, sounds great with AR-2 speakers.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2011, 05:22:53 AM »
i really need to get one of these USB turntables.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2011, 10:50:31 AM »
... be sure to buy a diamond stylus right away to replace the sapphire stylus most of them come with.

Noted ta...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2011, 12:45:10 PM »
I have a Presonus Firebox interface.  tried using with a turntable and couldn't get rid of a ground hum.  it's quiet as a church mouse in normal usage.   :sad:

Didn't see this before.  The problem is that your phono preamp and turntable need to have a physical ground connection to either the case of the Presonus or the ground post on your computer's power supply.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2011, 12:47:06 PM »
A Thriftshop 70s Sansui 661 receiver does that for me.  One of the last with a wood veneer on plywood case, sounds great with AR-2 speakers.

You lucked out. That Sansui is a hi-fi collector's item.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »
You lucked out. That Sansui is a hi-fi collector's item.
Major purchase for me...$7.  It's a great sounding amp, even makes CDs sound good.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2011, 03:08:39 PM »
Didn't see this before.  The problem is that your phono preamp and turntable need to have a physical ground connection to either the case of the Presonus or the ground post on your computer's power supply.

yeah, I tried  grounding the turntable to the Presonus but didn't try grounding to the pc.  I'll give it a shot.  thanks

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2011, 06:54:47 PM »
If your computer is plugged into a power strip, make sure your plug the preamp into either the strip or the same outlet. You can also just run the preamp/turntable ground to the ground pin on an unused plug on the strip.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2011, 03:09:40 AM »
yup, they're both running off the same power strip.  when I had the turntable hooked up, it was only to get one song from vinyl to the digital domain, so it wasn't that big of a deal.  if it was more of a long term thing, I would've tried different ground connections.  time was short and I just decided to live with it.  I've got a bunch of stuff I can't find on cd or itunes to convert but no time to do.  when I get around to it I'll try grounding to the power strip.  thanks, PBG!