Author Topic: Gibson CS NR Thunderbird  (Read 44338 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson CS NR Thunderbird
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »
If the custom shop CNC'ed the CS NR Firebird body, no doubt they would use the program for the body shape. I would be surprised if they would spend the programming hours to do more than that for a short run. Just doesn't make economic sense.

The two stores would be House of Guitars and (hopefully) another larger independent dealer who could sell them, not GC or Sam Ash.

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »
sproingky

:mrgreen: ;) ;D

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »

Ray,

Thanks man.......... ;D

You're the best, Bro!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 03:14:37 PM »
     I think we would all LOVE an exact Gibson NR T-Bird built to the same standard as the Firebird Historics. Just like a real '67 but brand new. Stiffy, anyone??  Using the vintage correct two point bridge, tailpiece, tuners, and pickups. Offered in custom colors, the whole deal. And then, what the hell,they might as well make an accurate reverse body T-Bird as well!! The hardware and electronics are all interchangeable. I don't see where Gibson could forsee a return worthwhile after having to source all the original hardware all over again, especially 60's design pickups. And I would SHUDDER to think what they would want for one if they did it. If you can get it done, Bro, go for it. And if it was just a NR with the recent hardware....I wouldn't be a buyer for that bass, but that's just me.
     There is a guy on the Guitar Reranch forum that makes exact reverse 60's spec, neck thru Firebirds out of beautiful mahogany and he also did a T-Bird that the woodwork looked dead nuts on. Beautiful accurate work to 60's specs, all done on a CNC. I'm not sure if he would build just the body in NR and let us finish them using our own 60's hardware and electronics........I can contact him and see. His user name is DougK.   My two cents. Glad to be back posting again with you old Gibby-pluckers!   Tony
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »
Glad to see you back!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »
Nice to see you here Tony !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 10:29:29 PM »
Tony, I remember someone linking to the guy from Reranch, he did great work. Is he doing it commercially now? Back then IIRC he was just doing it for himself.

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »
    He built that T-Bird for someone on the Reranch forum. He will build them for customers AFAIK. The figure I heard was $800 for a bare unfinished body, but don't quote me.  I didn't see it complete with hardware, but it looked KILLER. The neck thru laminations  weren't vintage correct, but I'm sure he could correct that. His reverse body Firebirds were dead nuts on.
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2010, 03:10:58 PM »
 "The neck thru laminations  weren't vintage correct, but I'm sure he could correct that."

You trainspotters!!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :rolleyes:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
    You, betcha!!  We don't miss a THING around here, do we?

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:20 AM »
Here is the link for Doug Kauer Guitars. He doesn't have a T-Bird listed in his standard instruments, but he may build you one. http://www.kauerguitars.com/

Low End Theorist

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »
Gibson should do 12 in the blue swirl finish that some of the CS NR Firebirds came in  ;D
With gold hardware!   :-*

How about T.V. White???

Low End Theorist

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »
Seriously though, I'm very happy with my BaCHbird.
Could a CS version REALLY be 5-6 times better than a BaCHbird?
The BaCHs can be customized to hell and still cost less than a CS version.

I have to admit that I do love my CS NR Firebird.  So much so, I'm going to sell my '67 NR.
I had to change out all of the gold hardware on the new one (not a fan of gold hardware) and hope to
have it refinished at some point (it's currently TV White).
Anyway... :bored:

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2010, 04:28:04 AM »
I have to admit that I do love my CS NR Firebird.  So much so, I'm going to sell my '67 NR.

All lies without pictures of these breasts.
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:46:42 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
 :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...