Author Topic: Gibson CS NR Thunderbird  (Read 44263 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Gibson CS NR Thunderbird
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:54:37 AM »
 I can't say to much but I may have a part in getting Gibson to build a custom shop NR Thunderbird. This will be a limited run of 12 minimum. I can't stress to the parties involved that they get it right. Some basic questions. Should a II or a IV be built (I vote a II for ease of production and to keep the cost down, also a II can always be converted to a IV). Color they will all have to be the same. Of course the pick up has to be right (or should we ask for stock TB plus pickups and the install Lulls on our own) ? I have convinced them I can sell 12. Lets see where this goes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:10:23 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Possible Gibson Custom Shop NR Thunderbird build whos interested?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »
Amazing if it all works out.  I would vote for a custom color.  I am torn among Pelham blue, Cardinal red, Heather or Gold.  I would think these would be a tad flashier than sunburst, and if you are going to do a very limited run, then go custom color.  Plus if ageing is an option, you could green up the blue easy.

I would think that if they are only doing a dozen, then the price will be nosebleed section, so what would be the difference between two or one pup?  If I were going in hock, then I would go in hock for an extra pup.  They can't possibly jack it up that much, could they?

I would go for whatever pup as long as the holes and rings are right, (and it has a Dasson bridge).  They you could swap the pups for whatever later.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Gibson Custom Shop NR Thunderbird
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »
I agree custom color is the way to go, me I like IIs so that's why I am pushing that  ;) but in reality it will most likely be a IV. Price? Some #s have been tossed around but I can't say anything just yet.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson CS NR Thunderbird
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »
Man, that's cool, Scott! I shudder to think what those 12 would go for though...
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »

I'm listening......................  8)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 11:31:58 AM »
LOL, is Gibson doing a BaCH?

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
Interested, but it HAS to be reasonable, which is saying a lot for Gibson.

Custom color would be great, IV would be my choice, but I'd be open for either. I'd go with TB+'s to keep costs down. You'd get at least one sale from Uwe, one from Mark, one from you. So there's three right off the bat, almost guaranteed. Keep us informed Scott!
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »
The new Ripper list for $ 3600.00. Define reasonable?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »

That's list tho........They listed my N.S.MkII at 2400.00 I paid 1800.00, regardless it's only money - I don't intend to be buried with what little of it I have so I'd rather spend it on something that makes me sproingky  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 12:13:30 PM »
Retail: $1500.00-$2100.00

But then again, that's just me. I won't buy a new Ripper or Grabber because of the inflated prices of their "limited" run re-issues. Just doesn't seem worth it when they're more than the original, to me.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »
In the Rippers case yes way to much there are plenty of vintage ones around, Not so with NRs.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 12:44:50 PM »
I would guess that to keep cost down, they would want to be a stock color such as black or cherry. Also using the existing TB+ pickup would allow them to use parts on hand. Same with the tuners. Either of which could be upgraded/swapped if you wanted to down the road.  If they could put out the set neck Studio Thunderbirds  a few years back for a reasonable price, they should be able to do the same with these.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 01:18:32 PM »
:popcorn:

(sitting on the sideline, thoroughly enjoying the show)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »
I'd definitely pony up for one too. Like Mark said, It's only money.

Hornisse

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 02:27:47 PM »
Back in 2005 or '06 we played a show at the local Gibson outlet here in Austin.  I told the rep then that a non reverse would sell.  Glad you were able to make them listen.  I won't buy one simply because Bach did it first and they are just fine by me and also very reasonable.  Gibson will probably put those cheesy tuners that they have on their SG, Ripper and Grabber reissue basses.