Author Topic: Civil WAr Memoribilia  (Read 2125 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Civil WAr Memoribilia
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
Well, to close the thread, I picked up a cavalry saber

I just happened to be flipping through the channels not long ago and saw one on TV that sold at an auction for $1600.  It was a Union one.  The guy took it to a dealer who wanted to pay $1100.  But the seller wisely used his patience.  Buying one for $500 and selling it for $1600 sounds like fun. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »
I just happened to be flipping through the channels not long ago and saw one on TV that sold at an auction for $1600.  It was a Union one.  The guy took it to a dealer who wanted to pay $1100.  But the seller wisely used his patience.  Buying one for $500 and selling it for $1600 sounds like fun.

Well, it can depend really.  Mine was 575$, which is about par for this maker.  There are others that will be more, but that's high for a cavalry saber unless there's something unique about it, or maybe has a certain provenance etc..To me, $1100 is up on the high side.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
Well, it can depend really.  Mine was 575$, which is about par for this maker.  There are others that will be more, but that's high for a cavalry saber unless there's something unique about it, or maybe has a certain provenance etc..To me, $1100 is up on the high side.

They did say there was something unique about it.  But it didn't make much sense to me.  I can discuss Civil War battles, but just don't know much about collecting at all.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
Confederate anything can be 4-5x the cost of a comparable union piece, and you can't be sure on a lot of it from what I can tell.  They were more of a hodge podge army, had less money than the Union...uniforms (and colors) weren't consistent, they collected a lot of union weapons - and unfired bullets from casualty Union soldiers.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:07 PM »
Confederate anything can be 4-5x the cost of a comparable union piece, and you can't be sure on a lot of it from what I can tell.  They were more of a hodge podge army, had less money than the Union...uniforms (and colors) weren't consistent, they collected a lot of union weapons - and unfired bullets from casualty Union soldiers.

I understood right off why Confederate would be worth more.  But what didn't make sense to me is why a saber would be worth more if it had been used as a grave marker (whether Confederate or Union.)

--Blaise Pascal

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »

Antique Roadshow on PBS had a similar sword go for around $30,000............ That was a number of years ago & they were busted for falsifying their program. I don't remember the exact particulars, but for a short moment in time, I thought I really had something....................!
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »
Antique Roadshow on PBS had a similar sword go for around $30,000............ That was a number of years ago & they were busted for falsifying their program. I don't remember the exact particulars, but for a short moment in time, I thought I really had something....................!

Pritchard and Juno and the Pickett "watermelon sword" controversy. Both of them pleaded guilty to federal fraud charges.