Author Topic: Civil WAr Memoribilia  (Read 2189 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Civil WAr Memoribilia
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 10:09:15 AM »
You guys were clearly not helpful this time!!   ;)   :)

I am shocked, SHOCKED at the lack of support in this thread!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »
Can't beat'em, join'em

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »
Let's get this back on a Civil War track, Yancy Derringer was after all a Confederate veteran:

I loved that series.

That series was the first one to have an impact on me as a child.  Although Jock Mahoney played a number of roles throughout his career (which I took notice of,) it was the Yancy Derringer role which was the most iconic and timeless.  It was a unique series, although to some extent Richard Boone's Paladin vaguely reminded me of Yancy Derringer.  But the differences were, of course, great.  "Have Gun Will Travel" was a good series, too, though.  I think my two favorite TV shows of all time would be "Yancy Derringer" and the original "Fugitive" series with David Janssen. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »
Gang.....I've seen a lot of what looks to be reputable online Civil War dealers....specifically, I want a genuine 1840 style or 1860 style cavalry saber...does anyone here collect or have any recommendations (besides 'do your research', I'm doing quite a bit..)

Thanks!!

I don't know anything about collecting, but I have studied the Civil War itself quite a lot through the years.  For that reason alone, if I see something on TV that has anything to do with the Civil War, I may watch it.  Several days ago, there was a show on National Geographic called "Diggers."  I think they mentioned sabers on that; how they were sought after, etc.  If you can get in touch with people who involve themselves with this kind of thing, you might be able to find someone who would know of good Civil War dealers.

I'm only interested in the historical part of it, but I can understand why people would like collecting, too.  Just in the few minutes I watched that show, I learned a few things.  On that particular show, they were following the path of Sherman's March. 

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/diggers/
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »
The Rebel...barely post-Civil War

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
"The Rebel" was an unusual Western.  I liked it.  Too bad about Nick Adams after that, though. 

--Blaise Pascal

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
I actually have a Civil War sword that I believe to be a "Wrist Breaker" & a few bayonets (French?), but I really don't know much about them. They were my Grandfathers & he had them hanging on a wall for 40 + years before he passed away.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 04:49:18 PM »
I actually have a Civil War sword that I believe to be a "Wrist Breaker" & a few bayonets (French?), but I really don't know much about them. They were my Grandfathers & he had them hanging on a wall for 40 + years before he passed away.

Here's a wristbreaker:

http://www.relicman.com/weapons/imageweapon/W1004A_small.JPG

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 05:34:56 PM »
The claidheamh mòr or claymore had a serious flaw... it was a scythe-like weapon that had to be swept back-and-forth... if you missed first time, you could be in big trouble, as the momentum would carry you round until the blade was well past the person you were trying to strike, and if they had a short sword or knife, they could move in and strike a deadly blow...

... but if they struck first time... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »
I have a couple of books my grandad gave me when I was a kid which HE got as a kid from his Great Uncle Frank (Benjamin Franklin), who was in the Union Army. Frank's brother, Jeff (Thomas Jefferson), went into the Washington Artillery of New Orleans, which was part of the Confederate Army. My dad's done a lot of research into this and it seems Jeff was paid by another fellow named Zebel to take his place. This was pretty common apparently.

This was a strategic error for it cost him is life at Mayre’s Heights, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on May 3, 1863. There are some well known photographs taken May 6, 1863 showing the wall behind which Uncle Jeff had been firing a few days earlier. He, along with some others, were taken prisoner and shot.

In 1866 the women of Fredericksburg  took all the Confederate dead and buried them in the Confederate Cemetery of Fredricksburg and the Confederate Cemetery of Spotsylvania. We don't know in which one Uncle Jeff was buried.

Uncle Frank survived the war and was sent west in 1865 in the Powder River Expedition where his unit engaged some Indians. He died in Jefferson City in 1924. Apparently his uniform and perhaps his sabre are preserved in the state capitol.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 05:33:52 AM »
I have a couple of books my grandad gave me when I was a kid which HE got as a kid from his Great Uncle Frank (Benjamin Franklin), who was in the Union Army. Frank's brother, Jeff (Thomas Jefferson), went into the Washington Artillery of New Orleans, which was part of the Confederate Army. My dad's done a lot of research into this and it seems Jeff was paid by another fellow named Zebel to take his place. This was pretty common apparently.

This was a strategic error for it cost him is life at Mayre’s Heights, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on May 3, 1863. There are some well known photographs taken May 6, 1863 showing the wall behind which Uncle Jeff had been firing a few days earlier. He, along with some others, were taken prisoner and shot.

In 1866 the women of Fredericksburg  took all the Confederate dead and buried them in the Confederate Cemetery of Fredricksburg and the Confederate Cemetery of Spotsylvania. We don't know in which one Uncle Jeff was buried.

Uncle Frank survived the war and was sent west in 1865 in the Powder River Expedition where his unit engaged some Indians. He died in Jefferson City in 1924. Apparently his uniform and perhaps his sabre are preserved in the state capitol.

Cool story Denis.  And yes, I think for $300 you could pay for someone to take your spot.  Apparently one guy made a lot of $$ before getting caught.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 04:06:00 AM »

There's a quote in Episode for of Ken Burns documentary "The Civil War" from a Benjamin Franklin saying how much he'd think of his mother's "beans and collards".   There was an extra name mentioned after the Franklin tho.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Well, to close the thread, I picked up a cavalry saber