Author Topic: Holding out for a zero... it's Eurovision time...  (Read 4555 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Holding out for a zero... it's Eurovision time...
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
I don't know how much you people outside of Europe know about this dreadful travesty (ok, it did spawn ABBA, and Lordi :P), but since Europe has "opened up" and a whole bunch of additional countries have taken hold, all voting for their strategically placed neighbours, it has become even more of a joke than it used to be; so bad, in fact, that watching the scoring has become almost cult viewing, and being asked to represent your country is tantamount to admition that your career is over, somewhat like the tag "big in Japan" used to be at one time...

Well, this years sucker representative for the UK is Bonnie Tyler... oh well... it's a heartache...

There have been some countries that have not scored a point, hence my thread title... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Holding out for a zero... it's Eurovision time...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »
My impression goes along with what you said.  It seems to be something that once had importance but now has outlived its usefulness.  This is especially true in a world which now has a superficial dance, music, or singing competition around every corner and in every country.  I was in America where Eurovision is almost unknown, but I'm sure, for instance, that the entire purpose and mood used to be way different years ago. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:17:08 AM »
I like it. It's so bad at times you have to. Songs generally fall into two categories: melodramatic musical stayle big ballads or - in more recent years - flashy dance numbers. The Balkan/Greek/Turk stuff I like when it is not too westernized and still has an ethno hook or two.

And of course Kisses for Me and Making your Mind up were timeless classics! Someone post them please, I can't with Blackberry.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:32:03 AM »
Tony Iommi is joining in too. He wrote the song for Armenia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-21689249

Armenia? Since when did they join Europe?
Oh well, the Eurovision songfestival always had some trouble defining the European borders. Israel has been joining in for decades...

Despite Iommi I am not going to watch. Haven't seen it in fifteen years.
A complete waste of time if you're not a high camp gay who actually hates real music.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 02:46:14 AM »
You're not getting me out of the closet, dear... :-*

Lord Uwe of the Dark Side... by your command... (wow... a true glutton for punishment...)

... and for a sense of balance, this is the Finnish winning song from 2006...

Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »

Holy shit! It's a GWARannbe!

Here's the real deal:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
Whatever happened to Clodagh Rogers? Did she ever recover from being lampooned by Terry Jones?

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
Gosh, I'd forgotten all about her, and that sketch... excluding the tupperware...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »
If you didn't know the year, you could guess by her hot pants.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »
Nobody that I know of is watching this thing. But when I was a kid, in the early 70's, I remember it was really a must-see. Great pop songs, well-produced. Then it plunged.

Oh well, the Eurovision songfestival always had some trouble defining the European borders. Israel has been joining in for decades...
Three decades to be exact. And winning a couple of times... but seriously, it's not like we are welcome in our own neighborhood. In sports also, Israel competes in Europe.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »
Nobody that I know of is watching this thing...

Just the scoring; honest... ;)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 04:04:13 PM »
Not to keep derailing this thread, but I can't believe I forgot to mention that GWAR had a Gibson instrument instrument endorsement for almost 20 years, no kidding. As transient as bands can be nowadays, the fact that those guys have been around for 30 years and still making music warms my heart, and obviously have a reach of influence in the region of Europe where only Satan and ABBA dare to tread. I got to see them in concert in the 90's. It was awesome.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 07:42:12 AM »
Nobody that I know of is watching this thing. But when I was a kid, in the early 70's, I remember it was really a must-see. Great pop songs, well-produced. Then it plunged.
Three decades to be exact. And winning a couple of times... but seriously, it's not like we are welcome in our own neighborhood. In sports also, Israel competes in Europe.

Now come on, Ilan, don't be shy ... And do reveal to me what "abanibi" means in Hebrew (I always assumed that they sang Hebrew?). Ah, those Phillysound violins, love it!

The German contestant of the following year had Phillysound violins too (Eurovision music tends to be about half a decade behind most of the time), but was viewed as a bit martial in appearance at the time, didn't do too badly though, yet did not win:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:48:14 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 07:49:15 AM »
You're not getting me out of the closet, dear... :-*

Lord Uwe of the Dark Side... by your command... (wow... a true glutton for punishment...)

How you spoil me! Danke, Ken. As a matterof fact, I think both " Kisses" and " Making your mind up" are cute pop fodder, I have a soft spot for stuff like that, I also like Tony Orlando's Tie a Yellow Ribbon and Lobo's I'd Love You to Want Me. And the bass in Making Your Mind Up is nicely loud and quirky.

Strip away the monster masks and the slightly cookie monsterish verse vocals of Hard Rock Hallelujah, and you have a typical Eurovision hit of the up-tempo and uplifting kind. Masterminded too win.