Author Topic: Who's Missing From The R&R Hall of Fame?  (Read 6281 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Who's Missing From The R&R Hall of Fame?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 06:46:07 AM »
Sounds like a throwaway Scorpions B side ballad with an ill-fiiting chugging rhythm guitar. Metal by numbers. Come back Accept, all is - if not forgiven - at least forgotten.

"Ooooooonly youhuhu can complete me"?  :rolleyes: Shouldn't that be "... can complement me"? Her old English teacher should slap her  b ... wrist, jawohl, "Zis eeze no elegänt Inglisch, nein!".

If scantily-clad blondes with guys backing them with hair almost as big are your thing, shouldn't you be frothing at this?

Femme Fatale were a walking talking clichée, but they had more bravado and sheer professionalism than Doro and her boys could ever emulate. It's kind of hard to beat yanks at their own game I think.

Uwe
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:08:52 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 07:23:46 AM »
I was never that much of a Femme Fatale fan, but I do remember thinking it would probably be very nice, helping Lorraine out with her need for a big one.  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 07:57:42 AM »
Ja, accidental TBird pup telltale reflections automatically come to mind!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 09:01:26 AM »
No offense, but it's hard to see how anyone who's not famous should be missing from a hall of fame.

Doro? Never heard of her. If I asked 100 people at random who Doro is, would even one person say yes?

Many of my favorites are relatively unknown, some obsure. As much as I like their music, I wouldn't complain that they ought to be in the RRHOF. They're not famous.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 09:13:18 AM »
That's a valid point. But the RRHOF has always been elitist and often enough just incongruous in its choices. Bands like Three Dog Night (which I always liked, they didn't write their own songs mostly, but had a signature sound), Journey, Styx, Kiss or Foreigner which all ruled American airwaives at one time or another certainly should be included. Even it they never made it to a Rolling Stone cover.

Deep Purple (in 1973 the band with the highest record sales in the US and three albums in the Billboard charts) was never included because Blackmore - true to form - refuses to go there and the RRHOF protocol demands original (living) band members to be there.

Uwe

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
That's a valid point. But the RRHOF has always been elitist and often enough just incongruous in its choices. Bands like Three Dog Night (which I always liked, they didn't write their own songs mostly, but had a signature sound), Journey, Styx, Kiss or Foreigner which all ruled American airwaives at one time or another certainly should be included. Even it they never made it to a Rolling Stone cover.

Deep Purple (in 1973 the band with the highest record sales in the US and three albums in the Billboard charts) was never included because Blackmore - true to form - refuses to go there and the RRHOF protocol demands original (living) band members to be there.

Uwe
Uwe spricht die Wahrheit. (is that correct?) While TDN weren't songwriters, per se, they had a knack for picking great songs to record.

Re Purple - an omission I hadn't even realized! But... Roth wasn't there with Van Halen (nor Alex and Eddie), and Hagar wasn't an original member.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2008, 03:14:29 AM »
"Uwe spricht die Wahrheit. (is that correct?)"

Ja, es ist perfekt. I herewith bestow the title "Honorary Kraut" on you!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 11:00:34 AM »
Nein - not necessary.
My father came to the US from Bremerhaven in '29. I've seen enough sauerbraten for ten lifetimes.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »

"I've seen enough sauerbraten for ten lifetimes.'

Despite my mostly vegetarian ways I totally cave in at least once a year and make sauerbraten using my mom's reciepe - Dammit! I want it now........ :o
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »
"I've seen enough sauerbraten for ten lifetimes.'

Despite my mostly vegetarian ways I totally cave in at least once a year and make sauerbraten using my mom's reciepe - Dammit! I want it now........ :o

And despite my carnivorous ways, I run like hell from German food, especially sauerbraten! Members of the extended family moaned openly with every bite of my mother's acquired German cooking skills - I've just never "gotten the 'braten" thing. I guess my epicurean leanings are towards the Italian side of the family.
BTW, Mark, do you make the dumplings that go along with it? There is a secret to making those properly that is apparently missed by many "alleged" German chefs...

Rocker949

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2008, 01:52:57 PM »
I spent a week in Germany not long before the fall of the Berlin Wall.  That was some of the best food I've ever had.  Obviously, when it comes to food, that is strictly a matter of individual preference.  I'm curious why German cuisine isn't rated higher; I think it is fantastic.  Prior to the trip to Germany, I had spent four years living in New Orleans.  In all honesty, I feel the food is overrated there, although it is very good.  I do like having coffee and beignets at the Cafe du Monde, though. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 02:11:00 PM by Rocker949 »

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
this is why i love living in NYC we have any kind of food you can imagine.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2008, 10:51:01 PM »

??? Was she making it wrong  ???

Sauerbraten is divine!  I always have some red cabbage and dumplings ( mix from a box, but very good, crouton in the center is my Mom's trick)  when I make it............
I end up feeding half the band they like it so much, and I to love cook all dressed up with the apron on, I shoulda been somebodies wife  ;)       Where's my skinny Dutchman anyway?

I LOVE GERMAN FOOD........There I said it.  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2008, 08:26:07 AM »
  ??? Was she making it wrong  ???

Nah - by all accounts it was all it should be, and more. She had plenty of indoctrination from my grandmother and aunt on these matters of great importance. Actually there was more emphasis placed on the German cuisine's integrity than on the Italian - although she still made her own sauce, the meatballs were a special blend, and there was always homemade cavatelli on Fat Tuesday.
I just have a problem with taking a perfectly good piece of meat, soaking it in vinegar for days and then impregnating it with peppercorn and pieces of bacon. I used to call it "pot roast with bedsores".

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »

"I just have a problem with taking a perfectly good piece of meat, soaking it in vinegar for days and then impregnating it with peppercorn and pieces of bacon. I used to call it "pot roast with bedsores".

Ummm.......My receipe says you can definately sub Red Wine for the vinegar.
It's probably too late to change your mind mind but if you're interested I'll send what I've got for a receipe........I don't use any bacon and the peppercorns are supposed to just be part of the marinade.

Oh, and  Slade should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame   ;)