Author Topic: NAMM news  (Read 6277 times)

saltymonkey

• View Profile
Re: NAMM news
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »
That may be true but it doesn't justify not taking the time to get the proportions more visually pleasing on the p/g.  If necessary you hire a professional to do it, it's not that expensive.  IMO there's no excuse for bad design on a bass costing over $3k.

Agreed. I'm sure it plays and sounds great but that visual inaccuracy ruins it for me.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »
That may be true but it doesn't justify not taking the time to get the proportions more visually pleasing on the p/g.  If necessary you hire a professional to do it, it's not that expensive.  IMO there's no excuse for bad design on a bass costing over $3k.

I didn't say I liked it, or that it was an excuse. It is a lack of attention to detail. IMO, The center line of the upper part of the pickguard should bisect the apex of the curve of the body. The Cataldo basses have it right.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 03:46:41 AM »
I updated my list on page 1.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 05:58:09 AM »
I didn't say I liked it, or that it was an excuse. It is a lack of attention to detail. IMO, The center line of the upper part of the pickguard should bisect the apex of the curve of the body.

Sorry for my inference.  Thanks for clearing it up.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »
There's no excuse for a new bass that runs $3000.   ;D  Seriously, how valuable is someone's labor?  I'd love to know the sales figures on down the road for this new NR entry.  I can't imagine it will be significant.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 04:50:56 AM »
Especially after Bach and Gibson have already filled the demands of those of us who have been waiting for the NR to be renewed.

I'm sure Lull has his following but I doubt he will sell even a handfull of them.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 05:45:35 AM »
Especially after Bach and Gibson have already filled the demands of those of us who have been waiting for the NR to be renewed.

I'm sure Lull has his following but I doubt he will sell even a handfull of them.

Absolutely doesn't matter, it's all gravy.  Any publicity generated by his NR is good advertising for all his other models.  Judging by the results just about zero in time and money were expended in R&D.

All Lull has to do is order the unique parts (the body and P/G).  The bodies most likely get ordered a few at a time and go directly to the painter in Van Nuys.  The other components are the same as the rest of the T series stuff.  He then does all the assembly and setup himself.

To NOT do an NR would be a bad business move on Lull's part IMO.  I've done around eighty trade shows.  One of the first things existing customers (dealers) ask is, "What's new?"  At the least it's an icebreaker before they restock what they're already buying.  If you are an established business and don't have something new to intro you're wasting a lot of advertising budget.  You get to put stuff in front of a few knowledgeable people and get their reaction to it.  It's possible someone at NAMM that ML trusts remarked that the pick guard seemed off and he'll do something about it.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
I updated my list on page 1.

Apart from the EBMM Sabre reissue I already mentioned on page 1 .....

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
Nice color on that Sabre.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 06:29:22 PM »
Absolutely doesn't matter, it's all gravy.  Any publicity generated by his NR is good advertising for all his other models.  Judging by the results just about zero in time and money were expended in R&D.

All Lull has to do is order the unique parts (the body and P/G).  The bodies most likely get ordered a few at a time and go directly to the painter in Van Nuys.  The other components are the same as the rest of the T series stuff.  He then does all the assembly and setup himself.

To NOT do an NR would be a bad business move on Lull's part IMO.  I've done around eighty trade shows.  One of the first things existing customers (dealers) ask is, "What's new?"  At the least it's an icebreaker before they restock what they're already buying.  If you are an established business and don't have something new to intro you're wasting a lot of advertising budget.  You get to put stuff in front of a few knowledgeable people and get their reaction to it.  It's possible someone at NAMM that ML trusts remarked that the pick guard seemed off and he'll do something about it.

I'm not in the business, but I have to agree.  The first time I took my white B&CH to a blues jam, somebody walked all the way through the bar to look at my bass.  It caught his eye right away.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 09:44:03 AM »
Since they've been offering additional pups on the StingRay for a while now, what's the difference between that and a Sabre? Pickguard shape?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »
Since they've been offering additional pups on the StingRay for a while now, what's the difference between that and a Sabre? Pickguard shape?

Pickups and circuit are somewhat different. And Tony Levin's signature on a certificate.

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/11/30/ernie-ball-music-man-unveils-sledge-basses-including-sabre-reissue/

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 11:54:08 AM »
Love that Sabre in the pic above!  Always wanted something in maui blue, assuming that's what it is.  Might have to try one of those out..

My old Stingray mutt has a fretless '80 Sabre neck on it.  Beautiful neck, slender 1.5", and I'd probably actually play it if it had a maple board and frets!  

I used to play fretless almost all the time, and that was my main bass for years.  Funny how tastes change.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:06:57 PM by chromium »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 03:24:41 AM »
A friend of mine sells two Sabres. A fretted and a fretless...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 10:37:54 AM »
Didn't they have that phase cancellation issue like hell when they came out originally and didn't that kill them commercially?

Not that it ever hurt the Jazz Bass!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...