Author Topic: NBD USA '62 Jazz Bass RI  (Read 8105 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: NBD USA '62 Jazz Bass RI
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
I just took a job with my local school district. It's a Union custodial gig, I work the 2pm -10:30 shift. I had to swallow hard to take it but there are so many pluses. It's less than 5 minuets from my house, the benefits are crazy, they pay for a family health insurance plan. 4% increase each year plus merit, 3% into your pension, 12 paid holidays, 2 1/2 weeks paid vacation with a day for each year after. 18(maybe more I can't remember) sick days etc etc etc. They stress this was just to get me in the door, I figure I'll follow the path and see where it leads. Another plus is now our benefits are no longer connected to Kodak, a big relief for my wife. Yet another plus Cath is starting a reduced hour schedule at Kodak, she will be working 8am-2pm. I am still doing my furniture, painting, buying and selling just sleeping a little less, me and the missus are a team and if this helps I am all for it.

Sounds like a slice of heaven to me - low stress and good benefits!  Congrats on the gig. 

When I took my current job I ran them through the wringer over benefits and just what they were etc - my boss said she felt like she was the one being interviewed.  I got a hell of a salary and a great job with really nice benefit package.  12 years later and the benefits are way watered down - in every aspect and the stress is way up.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 08:07:05 PM »
imo 15 bucks an hour before tax is not a living wage. not unless you don't own a car, are in perfect health and don't ever have to buy anything other than food. rent is the main problem here. unless you live in a small town or the sticks rent will eat up most of that check. here in atlanta and surrounds, after my mother died my father sold the house and rented for several years. his small but new one bedroom cost 1600 a month. and this is in 1985. your results will vary.

$15 beats all hell out of minimum.  Here in my area of Houston, near NASA, you can get a small, nice, clean, if not fancy, one bedroom for $700 or so probably less.  Yes, there are complexes that you'll pay $1600 for but they are the top of the line.  If you were young, motivated and had a room mate you survive on $15 an hour here and be comfortable. 

When my daughter was very young I came home most every night for three or four years and worked home handyman things around town to supplement our incomes.  $50 to hang a ceiling fan was big money back then and I did stuff like this constantly. 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 09:58:57 AM »
 I have lots of side work going on, furniture, painting, odd jobs etc etc anything for a buck. Works out pretty well really. :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 02:49:36 PM »
i retired at 57. ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »
i retired at 57. ;D

I'm jealous  :sad:  My goal is 60 to retire and get our of the rat race - I'm 51 now.  I'll probably be back at some sort of job, that I really enjoy, within a year of retiring.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2013, 02:37:22 PM »
I'm 63 and am keeping my options open...wife wants to retire when I do (she's 6 years younger) but I like what I'm doing and it appears that there will be some really interesting stuff for me to do - I'm designing classrooms for distance education, evaluating digital tools and technologies, playing with new toys (just installed a 46-inch touchscreen monitor in my unit's meeting area to work with) and really helping to chart the technology course for my 30,000 student university.  I may postpone for a few years past 65 if it stays interesting. 

My wife appreciates the fact that I get to play with toys that the university buys, rather than us paying for them.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2013, 03:53:35 PM »
Oh my gawd... someone that loves their job... :o :o :o ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »
Oh my gawd... someone that loves their job... :o :o :o ;D

Well....don't know that I LOVE it, but it keeps me interested and challenged, I run my own unit with three additional people in it - all of whom are very competent, pleasant and good to work with - and I have reasonably free reign with my budget. Doesn't get much better than that in a university gig. Probably helps that I invented the position I'm in, and got to write the job description...and we are the only ones doing what we do, so we keep inventing new ways to do it.

So perhaps I should plead guilty!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »
As charged... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »
I thought your full time occupation was being a supercool kickass bass player who slays all the ladies. You're a pretty good builder too from what I've seen. You know your 8 string coral T-bird is on the block again.

Why thank you, sir...At one time I DID slay all of the ladies.....I'm happily married now to a woman I DO NOT DESERVE, who has helped me to become a better man....I still PLay Killer Bass...and have some more basses planned....Korina Futura 4, 8, and possible even a 12ver..maybe another 8 or 12 ver thunderbird... BUT I need parts and money....Vintage parts...But due to not being able to find a band that is on the same page, I do work freelance from time to time...Just not as steady...and No benefits...and with Odumbo's Health care, looks like many people are going to be F'ed like I am...I lost My full time GIG after that Bozo got in office and from then on, MANY people I talk to have been getting screwed.
   Selling and Hustling on Ebay has gotten to be lame.
   But I just thank the Good Lord for every day and take it one day at a time...count my blessings...
Compared to most of the world, I am pretty damn wealthy to own clothes, a house, car, have a toilet in my house with running water, I am not handicapped, I am alive and healthy, have a wonderful son...and a Great assortment of Vintage Thunderbird basses...Not to mention Scoring the Manfred Man Bass amp, My 1971 Hiwatt DR201 200 watt all original Head...and a 2x15 Hiwatt Cab to HOPEFULLY come in a week or so....
   Plus I have a computer that allows me to have a special relationship with you Cool guys all over the globe.....

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 08:40:01 AM »
Life is good!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »
The economy might completely collapse but they'll need us to hold the groove when they're singing the blues. Have a great Sunday everyone!
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »
Ain't that the truth!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
Amen. And I have the Midwest covered, Scott you have the East Coast..We need some one else with a 200 Watt
Hiwatt to help out!!!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
I'm 56 and hoping/praying  to get a job really soon.   Something sounds very wrong doesn't it.    2 in college and a 14 yearold that needs private schooling.  I guess getting married at 30  has come back to bite me on the tush.....  Thought i would retire at 60 but GE  and cancer kind of changed that plan.    It may take me over 2 years just to clear up  some of the  bills sitting on my desk  and get back to where i was last fall.  But the alternative was a lot worse so no complaining for now......I do need to get out of Fairfield County as soon as my son finishes high school.  There are a lot of cheaper areas to live once Blue ribbon schools stop mattering.....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM