Author Topic: NBD USA '62 Jazz Bass RI  (Read 8112 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: NBD USA '62 Jazz Bass RI
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 05:34:50 PM »
I just got one of these American Vintage '62 Jazz Basses. Exact same bass....Not bad......A Lot of Punch...still..it isn't a Thunderbird...But cool...I did however just about 10 minutes ago buy a NOS 1980's '62 RI Tort Pickguard to give it a little more color...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 05:46:45 AM »
enjoy and play it in good health.....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »
Had to sell it to pay credit card bills...Sucks to not be able to find a job here in the United States.....

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »
Had to sell it to pay credit card bills...Sucks to not be able to find a job here in the United States.....

ditto....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »
I thought your full time occupation was being a supercool kickass bass player who slays all the ladies. You're a pretty good builder too from what I've seen. You know your 8 string coral T-bird is on the block again.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »
We've been hiring CCA's (City Carrier Assistant) at the P.O. and can't keep them.  They start at $15 an hour and have to work long hours and 6 days a week.  A lot of them quit after the first day.   :-[

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »
We've been hiring CCA's (City Carrier Assistant) at the P.O. and can't keep them.  They start at $15 an hour and have to work long hours and 6 days a week.  A lot of them quit after the first day.   :-[

Is that a 48 hour + work week?  Is it OT after 40 hours?  Do you guys still have walking routes?  Regardless $15, especially with some OT, is a wage you could at least survive on - benefits would be icing on the cake.  I would cut grass if I needed to - "root little pig or die"

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »
They do get overtime after 8 hours (per day) but they try to keep their hours limited. (but can't really)  No benefits but after 1 year they are eligible.  Most go to the walking stations which is why they quit.  I put in 4 years at a walking station (when I was between 43 and 47 years of age) and while it was tough it really gets you in shape.  The only drawback are the dogs.  I was bitten by a German Shepard and chased by numerous dogs during that time.  All we have to defend ourselves are  a satchel and cayenne pepper spray.  I'd carry rocks with me as well.  When APD gets approached by a loose dog they shoot it dead.  I'm at a station that is 2 miles from my house now.  Took me over 8 years to get there but it is all mounted.  We get a very high volume of mail here in Austin.  Not sure how it is in other cities but we work a LOT of overtime.  I sometimes miss the walking routes but I don't miss the dogs or stepping in the dog sh#t. :)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 04:01:16 AM »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 06:59:17 AM »
I just took a job with my local school district. It's a Union custodial gig, I work the 2pm -10:30 shift. I had to swallow hard to take it but there are so many pluses. It's less than 5 minuets from my house, the benefits are crazy, they pay for a family health insurance plan. 4% increase each year plus merit, 3% into your pension, 12 paid holidays, 2 1/2 weeks paid vacation with a day for each year after. 18(maybe more I can't remember) sick days etc etc etc. They stress this was just to get me in the door, I figure I'll follow the path and see where it leads. Another plus is now our benefits are no longer connected to Kodak, a big relief for my wife. Yet another plus Cath is starting a reduced hour schedule at Kodak, she will be working 8am-2pm. I am still doing my furniture, painting, buying and selling just sleeping a little less, me and the missus are a team and if this helps I am all for it.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 07:33:09 AM »
imo 15 bucks an hour before tax is not a living wage. not unless you don't own a car, are in perfect health and don't ever have to buy anything other than food. rent is the main problem here. unless you live in a small town or the sticks rent will eat up most of that check. here in atlanta and surrounds, after my mother died my father sold the house and rented for several years. his small but new one bedroom cost 1600 a month. and this is in 1985. your results will vary.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:57 AM »
I just took a job with my local school district. It's a Union custodial gig, I work the 2pm -10:30 shift.[snip]

That sounds like a pretty good deal.  Not all the value of a job comes in the paycheck...the benefits for you and family, time off and lack of stress definitely have value. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »
I just took a job with my local school district. It's a Union custodial gig, I work the 2pm -10:30 shift.

Those can be very good gigs, and generally low stress. Good luck!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 08:35:06 AM »
 It is very low stress! As my boss puts it 6 hours of work in a 8 hour shift. I save about 200 bucks a month in gas because of no commute and my wife saves 300 month that doesn't come out of her check for health care. On top of that we had a high deductible plan and were paying out the wazoo for everything from visits to prescriptions. Lots of added value in this gig.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 06:34:19 PM »
imo 15 bucks an hour before tax is not a living wage. not unless you don't own a car, are in perfect health and don't ever have to buy anything other than food. rent is the main problem here. unless you live in a small town or the sticks rent will eat up most of that check. here in atlanta and surrounds, after my mother died my father sold the house and rented for several years. his small but new one bedroom cost 1600 a month. and this is in 1985. your results will vary.

And I thought Austin was expensive!  We bought our 4 bedroom/2 bath home in 1997 (right before we were married) for $96,000.  Latest Travis County appraisal was $172,000.(they love collecting their taxes in Travis Co.)  Even with my property tax and insurance taken out with the monthly mortgage I still only pay $1,222 a month.  I drive a 1994 Toyota Pickup and my wife a 2004 Honda Odyssey. (both bought new)  They are long paid off and super reliable. (a lot more than my AMC!)  The $15 per hour is aimed at the younger worker.  I don't know of any 50+ year old (myself included) that would work for that wage and have to carry mail in the Travis Heights area of Austin.  (lots of hills and stairs)