Author Topic: New Schaller bridge option for shortscales  (Read 8725 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: New Schaller bridge option for shortscales
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 11:43:22 AM »
No - its true, I am testy.  I read the post title, and get my hopes up.  Then I see it is just another in a long line of bridges that will end up putting a bunch of holes in an old EB-0 and be useless for the arched top of an EB-2 or EB-1.  Then I forgot I ate my last Do-Si-Do and I have to wait till the weekend for the Girl Scouts to set up a table at the local grocery.  I am crabby. 

Is it too much to ask for?  A bridge that will fit on an EB-2 on the studs, that you can intonate and won't act like a rasp on your hand from some jutting allen screw or serrated edge saddle?  That's all I ask.  In chrome or nickle?  I plan on buying a HipShot and drilling an off-center hole above the treble side stud hole.  Then it will fit an older one.  But even that makes me crabby.  HipShot could cast it with a "figure eight" hole and we'd be done.

Have you had the Thank You Berry Much cookie?  A bad name, and a fair cookie.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 06:26:57 PM »
i might be showing my stupidity here but it would not be the first time:

could one make a stud mount bridge out of a regular "flat" type by machining a mounting plate to go under the bridge that has stud mount holes? using the regular mounting holes to screw the bridge onto the plate and if one is really picky about tolerances, then make it a "thermal press" (heat up the plate in an oven to expand it and mate the two parts) with a couple of thousandths cold temp interference?  :P :P

i think a good candidate would be a Schaller 463 a small bridge and available in any color one wants, with the plate made out of aluminum and polished surfaces on the ends where the stud hole would be, anodized or chromed. the middle part of the plate would not have to be very thick and one could make the stud holes any measurement one would want.

this was just a thought i had when the Dr told me i sent the wrong type of bridge on my bass build. use close tolerances and lock down type studs to stop the "wobble".

That would only work if the body of the regular bridge were small enough to fit completely between the studs. The Schaller 463 (roller bridge) is too wide and AFAIK so is every other aftermarket bridge.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
had to get a few pieces out and start taking snap shots and measuring. i have an adjustable stud mount bridge (that i would not use) but one that i would use as a template for making the stud slots and the piece to mount under the Badass. this bridge is slotted on one end which makes the stud mount holes expandable from 3 5/8" to 3 3/4" center to center.

the Badass bridge (an original NOT the 2, 3, or 4 type) would fit between the stud holes with a little careful machining of 1/32" off of each side. the Badass measures 3 1/8" wide stock and the bridge measures 3 9/32" closest hole edge to closest hole edge. the Badass is flat on the bottom which would simplify machine work.

what does an early EB series measure center to center stud to stud? this bridge is string spaced at 2 1/8" so it would be a natural to use as a plate pattern. what i am calling "hole edge" here is actually the edge of the washer ledge and not the hole the stud fits through.

it could be an alternative other than trying to find a Schaller 460 that isn't beat all to heck, missing some parts or overpriced.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:49:02 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
what does an early EB series measure center to center stud to stud?

That is part of the problem - the center to center doesn't work.  The spacing on the older EB bridge isn't the issue, but the studs are installed on an angle vs the Evertilt.  The treble stud is north of the later stud.  The early EBs used the same angle as a 53-55 Les Paul.  You deal with two issues on a Badass in that to keep the right angle design of that bridge you have to have lopsided "hooks" to use the older studs.  There are a couple of later bridges that incorporate that angle, like Kahler static bridges.  There was some bass a couple of years ago that did as well - using a Les Paul stud too, so no intonation. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »

Is it too much to ask for?  A bridge that will fit on an EB-2 on the studs, that you can intonate and won't act like a rasp on your hand from some jutting allen screw or serrated edge saddle?  That's all I ask.  In chrome or nickle?  I plan on buying a HipShot and drilling an off-center hole above the treble side stud hole.  Then it will fit an older one.  But even that makes me crabby.  HipShot could cast it with a "figure eight" hole and we'd be done.

Maybe I'm thinking about the wrong bridge, in which case please forgive me...

But when I got my '64 EB-0, I called Hipshot and they said they were in the process of making a change in the design of their two-point bridge.  It would have the offset hole to fit the early 60's EB models, with a set screw which could be extended to even up the mount on the studs for later 60's EBs.

If that's the item you want, Hipshot may have it available...you could call them and check.  It was supposed to hit their line last fall.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »
Then I forgot I ate my last Do-Si-Do and I have to wait till the weekend for the Girl Scouts to set up a table at the local grocery.  I am crabby. 

Have you had the Thank You Berry Much cookie?  A bad name, and a fair cookie.

I don't think there are Girl Scouts in Germany. The closest thing is young boys dressed up like Struwwelpeter selling rouladen door-to-door.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 04:38:56 PM »
New? These came out in 2000! I had one that I bought in 2001, had it briefly on a Guild JS-II that I sold after putting the original bridge back on. Sold it to Ken last year, it now resides in the UK.
Nice thing about them is that you can adjust them to under 2" string spacing if need be.
They are very low profile, which is what Ken needed for his Demetriou project. If you were to put it on a Fender, you'd have to shim. Even more on a bass with a neck angle.
They use a standard Fender 5-hole pattern.

I have managed to squeeze it onto my Jazz, but it's not perfect - just a temp test - works well enough, but as Dave mentioned, it is destined to go elsewhere - I can put up a picture in situ if needed to show the issues...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »
I don't think there are Girl Scouts in Germany. The closest thing is young boys dressed up like Struwwelpeter selling rouladen door-to-door.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 01:40:58 AM »
Not true, at one point almost 80 years ago, almost all the girl populace was in an girl scout outfit of sorts.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 04:03:48 AM »
Not true, at one point almost 80 years ago, almost all the girl populace was in an girl scout outfit of sorts.

Ah yes, I forgot - the Campführer girls.
But don't the guys in the front row look rather. er, chummy?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 07:32:20 AM »
They don't look like they would have sold Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies. If they did, the boxes probably had skulls on them.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
But don't the guys in the front row look rather. er, chummy?
Personally selected by Ernst Rohm for future SA assignments, no doubt!

Our Girl Scouts get to sell cookies.  The old German Girl Scouts got their own dagger and Panzerfaust training.  Kind of a toss up.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »
They don't look like they would have sold Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies. If they did, the boxes probably had skulls on them.

Thin Cyanide Cookies that would have been   :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »
Thin Cyanide Cookies that would have been   :mrgreen:

Packaged in individual miniature bunkers.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:26 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Let me repeat this then: Thin cyanide mint cookies packaged in miniature bunkers with deathshead skulls on them fed to obliging male nubiles hand-picked by Ernst Röhm?  :o

You guys should be writing comics, there is a market for smut out there:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:03:20 AM by uwe »