Author Topic: McCartney/Nirvana Benefit Tonight  (Read 9523 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: McCartney/Nirvana Benefit Tonight
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
odd that no one has chimed in on how great the fake who were. :rolleyes: it seemed like daltry's cloths kept attacking him, that was the high point for me. ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 08:54:34 AM »
Paul McCartney--

[On his songwriting:]
McCartney: "I don't ever try to make a serious social comment. ... It's just a song."
McCartney: "How I wrote depended on my mood. The only way I would be sort of biting and witty like [John Lennon] was if I was in a bad mood!"

Maybe that's why I come from an opposite viewpoint.  I didn't care for much of Lennon's stuff after he left the Beatles, but I like most of McCartney's stuff. Paul's melodic approach appeals a lot more to me.  To me...in most cases, it's just a song, and I'm happy with that.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
I find John Lennon's solo work much harder to evaluate since he only had ten years left to live after the Beatles broke up.  Plus, during much of that time he wasn't even involved much in music. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 09:09:48 AM »
They're both great musicians, let's leave it at that. Lennon's post-Beatle output has less highlights than Macca's (though Cold Turkey, Imagine and Watching the Wheels is not a bad threesome by any standard) and Silly Love Songs isn't more a pastiche than Starting Over (I like both songs). She's Leaving Home is as much art to me as A Day in the Life (that "Woke up, got out of bed ..."-part is most likely Macca though and it elevates the otherwise morose song with its genuine light-heartedness).

Lyrically, Lennon with his wry observations wins hands down, but then Paul could show musical irony as he did when he (lovingly) pastiched Cold Turkey era Lennon with The Wings' Let me Roll it.

Paul suffers from the Mozart-syndrome - because his music is often light-hearted it is automatically deemed inferior to Beethoven's/Lennon's.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:42:31 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 09:45:30 AM »
Paul McCartney, master of the melodic, sometimes light, sometimes serious, sometimes both.  Very few people are capable of doing what he has done. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 10:26:59 AM »
Paul McCartney--

[On his songwriting:]
McCartney: "I don't ever try to make a serious social comment. ... It's just a song."

McCartney: "How I wrote depended on my mood. The only way I would be sort of biting and witty like [John Lennon] was if I was in a bad mood!"

I don't buy into this just a song stuff.  Seeing how huge and influential music is (starting around the time of, and at least in part because of Beatlemania) I think there is some responsibility there.

That's pretty much the one thing I agree with Jimmy Swaggart on:

Stop listening when he gets to the bit about Satan... though maybe he has a point, looking at the top 40 list and what has become of youth culture.  

Now that doesn't mean you can't have some fun and make Ringo sing the silly ones for a lark (actually my Dad's favorite Beatles tracks.... aside from the really early stuff; She Loves Me era), but you do have a responsibility to not only not be banal ( we've already conducted that experiment and it didn't go well) but to live up to being the "conscience of society"  - I forget who said that, but then there's also:

The artist should be a seeing-eye dog for a myopic civilization.
-Jacob Getlar Smith

The flip side of that is not taking yourself too bloody seriously while you're at it.  Tough balance.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »
My perspective is straight forward - don't care about the song or who they are, just what they are doing it for... people in genuine need...

ps anything with an RD can't be all bad... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »
They're both great musicians, let's leave it at that. Lennon's post-Beatle output has less highlights than Macca's (though Cold Turkey, Imagine and Watching the Wheels is not a bad threesome by any standard) and Silly Love Songs isn't more a pastiche than Starting Over (I like both songs). She's Leaving Home is as much art to me as A Day in the Life (that "Woke up, got out of bed ..."-part is most likely Macca though and it elevates the otherwise morose song with its genuine light-heartedness).

Lyrically, Lennon with his wry observations wins hands down, but then Paul could show musical irony as he did when he (lovingly) pastiched Cold Turkey era Lennon with The Wings' Let me Roll it.

Paul suffers from the Mozart-syndrome - because his music is often light-hearted it is automatically deemed inferior to Beethoven's/Lennon's.

That's definitely unfair to Paul to be labeled like that.  This thing about having a favorite Beatle is something I can't do, although I tried from time to time.   I don't suppose I could really be called a fan.  But I used to be and could be again at some point.  Certainly,  I highly value the great, unique music that was made. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:35:32 AM by westen »

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 02:18:07 PM »
swaggart, really. that video is the biggest load of shit i have ever heard. btw it's just a song. people may use it to promote an agenda but its still just a song. >:(

will there be a record burning of all that bad rock n roll. :sad:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:34:43 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 02:38:14 PM »
No, Pastor Swaggart,  that beam of moral light and illuminating lucidity, and his anointed prophet, Brother Jake, were/are on to something:

"Sir" (sin is reward!) Paul McCartney, a sinister, thinly veiled beatlesbub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX3xuI0tWd0&playnext=1&list=PL1FC5C4B58A33A756&feature=results_main

of overtly satanic notes and works,

had even his allegedly more innocent (but remember: sin never houses virtue!) songs - ha, I am not fooled! - spiked with antichrist acronyms, just listen here:

Beat
It!
Pentecostal ...

Burn-
Out!
Preacher Man ...

which equates BIP BOP  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I'm going home now to burn my Beatles Stereo Boxed Set and cleanse myself from sin, all revealed here at 15:32:

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:24:52 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »
i always thought Lennon was the coolest Beatle but my favorite Beatles song is "I saw her standing there" which is a Paul tune.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
That's pretty much the one thing I agree with Jimmy Swaggart on:

Stop listening when he gets to the bit about Satan... though maybe he has a point, looking at the top 40 list and what has become of youth culture.  

I think guys like Swaggart who bully their followers and incite near-cult behavior are a lot closer to Satan than musicians are.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 03:53:44 PM »
i always thought Lennon was the coolest Beatle but my favorite Beatles song is "I saw her standing there" which is a Paul tune.

Around 2:15 for Seinfeld's remarks about "I Saw Her Standing There."

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 10:04:50 AM »
Old guys can still rock.

This is now unblocked and every one I've tried is working now.  Many of them have what is evidently the title of the song--"Cut Me Some Slack," or maybe that's just a reference to the attempt to block these.  Of course, how long these will stay unblocked is anyone's guess, but with all of these I'm seeing, they may be hard to stop. 

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 01:01:51 PM »
Well, that was interesting.  Not great, not bad, and pretty safe and appealing.  Not *exactly* like a Nirvana reunion.   Krist Novoselic looked like he'd have rather been making a sandwich that play.  Notice the shot of the bass at 4:20.  I think those are Jazz pickups in that RD.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty