Author Topic: Jack Hack  (Read 11349 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Hack
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2011, 08:05:04 AM »
"The string pressure on the saddle doesn't change, just the direction of the force."

Huh? But that does mean that the string has greater pressure on the saddle then? Try lifting a not detuned string from the saddle of a string-thru bass and you'll know what I mean.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2011, 08:15:41 AM »
It means that the pressure is applied from a different angle. Depending on the saddle design, that could hold it down more securely.

Mungi

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
I would think the opposite, that having the bridge only contact the body on the two posts and having the tailpiece separate would isolate the bridge from the body more than a typical one-piece bridge/tailpiece that sits flat on the body. That's what Alembic uses and they are almost fanatical about isolating the body. But I haven't seen any direct comparisons between the two types.

Aha. I thought perhaps the two-piece thing was meant to spread out the contact with the body so to have the body take up more. Seeing as hollowbodies often have two-piece bridges with floating tailpieces or bridge+stringholder, I thought this was to make full use of the hollowbody for forming the sound.

Anyways, very interesting and useful info.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2011, 04:51:56 AM »
The problem with the black JC is there's so much reflection off the gloss finish it's hard to see what is going on with the bridge posts. The post I thought was pulling out is actually all the way in on the neck side, it's just not flush with the slope of the body, so looks like it's pulled out at the back. I guess that's not fixable, and maybe not desirable to fix.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
It might be feasible to lower them by a minor rout down so they sit closer to the surface rather than proud...? Not too hard a job...

Mungi... welcome to the site and btw, OT is not compulsive but more a reflex action brought about by diversification factors centring mostly on WWII, trains, planes and automobiles, sport in general (excluding Cricket, which is outlawed in the lower 48, and the other two), and a bunch of other stuff... the (mostly) only thing verbotten is pushing political or radical thoughts (like Fender is far superior to Gibson as a product) ... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Mungi

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 10:18:51 PM »
It might be feasible to lower them by a minor rout down so they sit closer to the surface rather than proud...? Not too hard a job...

Mungi... welcome to the site and btw, OT is not compulsive but more a reflex action brought about by diversification factors centring mostly on WWII, trains, planes and automobiles, sport in general (excluding Cricket, which is outlawed in the lower 48, and the other two), and a bunch of other stuff... the (mostly) only thing verbotten is pushing political or radical thoughts (like Fender is far superior to Gibson as a product) ... ;)

Thank you kindly, BUFF!

I would not dream of ever pushing the idea that Fender is even the tiniest bit superior to Gibson as a product. Rest assured. As a contemporary company? Well, hmmm....  ;)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2011, 05:37:12 AM »
i would be fine with a 3 point if i had the original Schaller one. the 3 point on my Ripper says made in Japan on the bottom and is a little too narrow. i will get a Supertone eventualy. also i no longer have the stupid Evertilt/harmonica/2 point on my SB450. that too will get a supertone.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2011, 12:03:27 AM »
also i no longer have the stupid Evertilt/harmonica/2 point on my SB450
amen.
Louder bass!.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2011, 04:40:42 AM »
Doubleplus-amen. I hate that thing. Emmanuel Goldstein inventend it to sabotage Oceania and the virtues of Ingsoc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zYlOU7Fpk&feature=related

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
(sigh) Here we go again.

The bridge isn't the problem, it's the lack of a tailpiece.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
"The car was in perfect shape when we sold it, your Honor, all it did was lack wheels. That had negligible effects on its driving qualities only."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
"The car was in perfect shape when we sold it, your Honor, all it did was lack wheels. That had negligible effects on its driving qualities only."

How many basses with 2-point bridges are still being used after 40 years?

How many cars without wheels do you see being driven?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2011, 05:13:53 PM »
It's misengineered and you know it, Dave. It was never intended to feature a stringholder nor was it ever delivered with one. It's like a paratrooper rucksack without a parachute in it, great design, the rucksack, yes, but without a parachute in it, it doesn't glide very well, does it?

The bridge has other issues too, the fastening on the studs and the locking via mircroscopic allen screws is flimsy, the intonation adjustment screws wear out quickly, you can't get it low enough on many basses etc.

The Air Cobra of bridges. Maybe they would have worked well as bridges in the Russian winter?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:18:54 AM by uwe »

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2011, 07:32:51 PM »
The mute was incorporated under the assembly to keep it from tipping forward and also to make sure you couldn't adjust the action down too low.  ???
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2011, 03:49:47 AM »
I guess I lead a charmed life; I never knew!  the 2 pt bridge on my Eb-3 functions just fine and has no tilt, plenty of thread life on adjustment screws and the set screws hold it securely to the posts.  same for the Triumph I own.  I bought the EB-3 in the mid 70's (second owner) and the Triumph about 5 years ago (no idea how many hands it has passed through).  I also have no known issues with any of the 3 pt bridges I've had over the years.