Author Topic: NBD: Epi Goth T-bird  (Read 2275 times)

pilgrim9

• View Profile
Re: NBD: Epi Goth T-bird
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »
I did a candy apple red one like Marks but routed the body instead of the neck heel. It needs to go about a 1/4" deeper and 1/8" wider on each side. If you stay with the original 3 point it needs a thin shim under the neck to get the neck angle right, the original necks heel is tapered but the pocket is flat. When I routed the body I covered the edges of the neck pocket with blue painters tape and went real slow with the router and got a real clean edge with no chipping.
If you push something hard enough it must fall over.

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »
Thanks for the additional info, everyone - it's been very helpful...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
I did a candy apple red one like Marks but routed the body instead of the neck heel. It needs to go about a 1/4" deeper and 1/8" wider on each side. If you stay with the original 3 point it needs a thin shim under the neck to get the neck angle right, the original necks heel is tapered but the pocket is flat. When I routed the body I covered the edges of the neck pocket with blue painters tape and went real slow with the router and got a real clean edge with no chipping.

This has been especially helpful, as that's the exact approach I'm considering...

Which end of the neck pocket did the shim have to go??? It would be nice if I could figure a way to route it so that I don't need a shim, to be honest... I'm sure I'll have a better idea once I remove the neck - although I don't have alot of wood working experience, I'm a very experienced mechanic - and have successfully built a few nice Fender basses and guitars, besides doing all my own setups for quite a few years now..

- georgestrings

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »

While I did a lot of work on mine, it did go to Mike Lull for a set up, when I picked it up he did mention that he shimmed the pocket. It's my only project bass and as that it's fun, a semi polished turd that sounds very 7enderish to me - which means if I want that tone I don't have toplay or own a 7ender.
It'll be a fun project George!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »
Denis (with Carlo's input) converted one of those with good results, or am I mixing up something...?

Mine was a '76 Gibson Thunderbird which was converted to a Fenderbird in New York City sometime in the 1970s. I bought it without a neck on it and it now has a '76 P-bass neck on it. The Fender neck originally on it had a slightly different heel than the '76 neck so Carlo had to fill out the neck pocket a little.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 09:43:03 AM »
Gots da big neck, like my white CS/LE.

Me loves dat neck.

It appears the newest bolt-on Epis finally went to a 1.5" nut width.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
Me loves dat neck.

Yeah, it's way nicer than I would've guessed - feels just like my Highway One P neck, just painted...

- georgestrings