Author Topic: Rolling Stones warm up gig  (Read 22058 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Rolling Stones warm up gig
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »
that's the cover alright. does not mean they have a meet and greet after hours. do you think people on magazine covers really know each other. ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
Nofi, I dare believe this is all in jest!!!

This forum might be indeed good for the weirdest DP and RB connections, but no one has heard of a Thompson Twin/Cash or Cash/Slade collabaration yet, our English friends are taking the piss ...

And Record Collector is a mag for trainspotting vinyl and CD junkies, but hardly one for garish speculation.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »
Must be family; either that, and/or the sheep... ;)

Och! The traffic can be awfy bad oan ra Hebrides, ken?

Oanboadie, sorry - I mean - anybody ............... seen "Crossfire Hurricane" yet?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2012, 06:13:23 AM »
off course its all in jest, uwe. ;D

i need to use the smile emoticons more often i guess.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »
I was worried. I tend to be.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »
... do you think people on magazine covers really know each other. ;D

I'm aghast; are you saying that things in magazines and papers might not necessarily be Kosher...? I'm stunned...! :o :o :o

Och! The traffic can be awfy bad oan ra Hebrides, ken?

Aye well, laddie, r-r-r-rush-hour can be awfy bad; awfy bad indeed, but we'll get r-r-r-round tay-it sometime soon; nay doot aboot it... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2012, 04:17:35 AM »
The Stones yesterday, performing one of their lesser known songs with that other bassist that used to be with them.

Analysis: Guitars become less and less, chorus vocals more and more! Plus virtuoso piano solo. :mrgreen: But given how often they must have performed that song it still sounds reasonably fresh.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:46:50 PM by uwe »

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »
How good was Mick Taylor though ......

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
... Plus virtuoso piano solo. :mrgreen:

Ex Allman Brothers - Chuck Leavell (Sea Level) - been with them a long time now...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2012, 02:31:59 AM »
I know - their "new" Billy Preston/Ian Stewart.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2012, 04:44:58 AM »
How good was Mick Taylor though ......

What can you say? Taylor was the better lead player forty years ago and he still is today. Ron Wood is technically probably not any worse than Taylor, but he doesn't have the gift - or the desire - of playing a 2 minute + solo and keeping it interesting (even for himself), let's not even talk about tone. Solos for him are part of the arrangement, not a journey. And to his credit: He never played in a setting where he had to be the guitar hero. The Faces never took lead guitar journeys (they let their opener on early seventies US tours do that: Deep Purple) and neither did the Stones, the five or six Taylor years being the exception in a 50 year career. And IIRC, the Jeff Beck Group had that other guy playing lead so Ronnie was largely unbothered there with guitar improvisation as well ...  :mrgreen:

Richards, who never connected with Taylor, wanted an integrated lead/rhythm player sparring partner and he got just that with Wood, they interweave nicely (though I can't see them playing at a Wishbone Ash or Allman Brothers convention!  8) ) and Wood's rhythm guitar playing in particular is now so close to Richards' (the latter's idiosyncratic timing excepted) that I for one have a hard time telling them apart when I'm not seeing them.

It was a nice move to take those two (Wyman and Taylor) on stage for the concerts though, most likely a Mick idea. And Jagger probably thought as he stood there with Taylor in the O2: "The greatest present I ever made to Keef was letting this guy go and the other guy into the band". Which is probably correct and an integral reason why the Stones are still around today as a live band.

90% of the O2 audience probably had no idea who Mick Taylor was or is or saw him as some kind of surprise resurrection: "Didn't he drown in his swimming pool?"  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:29:20 PM by uwe »

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »

Richards, who never connected with Taylor, wanted an integrated lead/rhythm player sparring partner and he got just that with Wood, they interweave nicely (though I can't see them playing at a Wishbone Ash or Allman Brothers convention!  8) ) and Wood's rhythm guitar playing in particular is now so close to Richards' (the latte'rs idisyncratic timing excepted) that I for one have a hard time telling them apart when I'm not seeing them.
:mrgreen:
Funny that you mention their sounding alike.  I have noticed the same thing for the past few years. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
I think Ron came into the band like a scorcer's apprentice and lapped everything up. Taylor was more withdrawn and introvert in his playing from what Richards did. Ron Wood enjoys being a Stone, Mick Taylor obviously didn't. His comment "I don't regret leaving the Stones, I regret joining them!" says it all.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2012, 02:54:57 PM »
90% of the O2 audience probably had no idea who Mick Taylor was

I think you're selling Stones fans short there Uwe.  I'd say 90% of the people who could afford those O2 tickets were hard core Stones fans, and every hard core Stones fan knows how good the Mick Taylor-era songs and performances were - listen to the Brussells Affair live concert (once a bootleg, now authorised and downloadable from the Stones website for a couple of Euro) to hear Taylor at his most sublime.  Based on the chatter on several Stones fan forums and Facebook groups that I've taken a look at, Taylor's appearance was the highlight of the O2 concert for most of them.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
Never seen them... never had the inclination to... my father-in-law saw them in pubs Richmond/Twickenham (South-West of London) in the early sixties when he used to be in a skiffle band and he rated them - he's in his mid seventies now...