Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Eastwood EB1

<< < (3/4) > >>

westen44:
What a missed opportunity.  Pretty sad.  When I clicked on the link, my hopes were way up.  But then they got quickly dashed.

4stringer77:
There are a couple nice looking aspects. The color of the stain and the purfling lines along with the gold speed knobs and banjo tuners are used to a nice effect. A bar bridge would have been a better choice for the vintage look and the location of the bridge seems a little higher up on the body than it should be. The top of the body and the corners don't match the lower half's violin corners. Could have been better executed overall but any attempt at an EB-1 tribute is at least flattering. I'm guessing the pickup sounds nothing like an overwound sidewinder and unless tastes change drastically, it's doubtful we'll ever see pickups like that manufactured on a large scale again.

Granny Gremlin:
The banjo tuners are the cheapest Chinese no name ones you can find tho (what you get on Firebird copies on Ali Baba).

Dave W:

--- Quote from: Alanko on November 24, 2017, 07:31:59 AM ---I admire Eastwood's brave strides to bring back extinct designs but 1) I wish they did it properly and 2) I wish it wasn't Eastwood making them. Every Eastwood I've played has had a slightly crude 'import' feel to them, and has been overpriced purely because they dredged up and did the R&D on old designs. They cut corners horribly. For example the Ovation Magnum reissue they came up with had simplified EB-3 style circuitry, which wasn't what Ovation were going for with the original. Plus I guarantee that the original Ovations were better made.

Making a 32'' semi-hollow EB-1 is simply ignorant.

--- End quote ---

I've seen some Eastwoods that were nice looking and not crude at all, e.g. their version of the Höfner Club, but it sounded nothing like the original. Regardless, they don't seem to be consistent from what I've seen. Just guessing, maybe they farm these out to different factories.

Basvarken:
I'm pretty sure they do Dave. For that kind of money they aren't making them in a custom shop in the USA.
And I'm also pretty sure that they make these "mistakes" on purpose in order to keep clear from copyrights.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version