Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Eastwood EB1

<< < (2/4) > >>

Chris P.:
It's like they've never seen one and make a copy by watching an old black and white picture, while checking a cheap Höfner too.

Alanko:
I admire Eastwood's brave strides to bring back extinct designs but 1) I wish they did it properly and 2) I wish it wasn't Eastwood making them. Every Eastwood I've played has had a slightly crude 'import' feel to them, and has been overpriced purely because they dredged up and did the R&D on old designs. They cut corners horribly. For example the Ovation Magnum reissue they came up with had simplified EB-3 style circuitry, which wasn't what Ovation were going for with the original. Plus I guarantee that the original Ovations were better made.

Making a 32'' semi-hollow EB-1 is simply ignorant.

uwe:
They were probably unduly inspired by the Epi EB-1: That was both medium scale and hollow (though the F hole was only painted on). Those Epis actually don't sound bad, just nothing like a true EB does.

doombass:
I really don't feel offended that they chambered the body and made the f-holes "real" instead of painting them. In fact I think Gibson cheaped out on the original if you look at it in reverse. What if the Gibson EB had a chambered body and real f -holes while the copy would have had them  painted on? Even if Eastwood in this case choose to use terms of their changes to "few" and "subtle" they do point out there are changes made and furthermore calls it a tribute. When Gibson/Epiphone releases reissues you rarely see any mentions of them being different from the iconic original.

ilan:
I feel your pain, guys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version