Author Topic: LBO member's poll  (Read 22346 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: LBO member's poll
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2011, 12:11:22 PM »
Must be a matter of taste. I find it horrible... :-[

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2011, 03:36:38 PM »
Without Wishbone Ash, young man, your Thin Lizzies would have never stopped playing pop versions of Irish drinking songs! They owe the whole twin guitar thing to them. And have admitted as much.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
Chalk is chalk and cheese is fromage...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2011, 06:25:33 PM »
Not the best sound, but one of my favorite songs.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2011, 11:47:15 PM »
Without Wishbone Ash, young man, your Thin Lizzies would have never stopped playing pop versions of Irish drinking songs! They owe the whole twin guitar thing to them. And have admitted as much.

Yeahyeahyeah.
At least Thin Lizzy managed to use the twin guitar style to make exciting songs with head and tail.  8)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2011, 02:49:26 AM »

Don't you find that the Ash sounds an awful lot like Fleetwood Mac ( in their Then Play On phase ) on their s/t & Pilgrimage albums ?  :mrgreen:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2011, 03:38:52 AM »
They have admitted that influence too. Fleetwood Mac's guitar work influenced a lot of people. But by Argus Ash had come into their own, they adopted a lot of English folk influence whereas early Fleetwood Mac stuck to the blues. And Ash's twin guitar work was much more elaborate than any of their prede- and successors'.

Wishbone Ash's work was largely lyrical, they created musical textures with their interwoven guitar work rather than dramatic chorus hooklines - they never had a singles hit, but were strictly an albums band, very seventiesh. By the time they started to try writing singles - late seventies, early eighties - they went on a slippery slope, it was the same time they had second thoughts about Martin Turner's singing which is lyrical/folky as well rather than "grab you by the throat frontman-ish". In fact, in their core sound, his voice is as much an instrument as the guitars and the bass and the swinging drumwork.

Though I do wonder whether the Frampton'ish Goodbye Baby Hello Friend could not have done a lot better with proper airplay. It at least reached German jukeboxes at the time. The intro says a lot why I love Martin Turner as a bass player.

Someone once described them as "the music you might want to listen to if The Grateful Dead are too lame for you and English hard rock sounds too aggressive".
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:03:53 AM by uwe »

Chaser001

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2011, 05:22:51 AM »
The bass playing has a way of leading you on the way.  It grabs your attention without any effort on your part to notice it, all without being busy.  At least I don't consider that busy, maybe some would.  It's just right for me; melodic, balanced, interesting. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2011, 05:29:59 AM »
Martin Turner plays nothing that is rhytmically difficult or tricky or especially fast, he's just melodic and puts accents in the music. Sort of like McCartney, who is rhythmically meat and potatores (certainly no Jack Bruce), but harmonically and melodically great. And Turner is one hell of an awkward finger player  :mrgreen: when he - as he almost never does and more importantly never really should  8) - puts the pick away:

http://www.youtube.com/WishboneInfo#p/u/44/98EweSUZP1s

Gene Simmons, another pick player, looks the same way when he plays with his fingers. And so do I - just too embarrassing, really!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:36:08 AM by uwe »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2011, 06:41:50 AM »
I like em both  :)
Digresion our specialty!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2011, 07:03:02 AM »
They have admitted that influence too

8) I like it when they ( we  ;D ) own up ....

they never had a singles hit,

They came very close in Holland. The Jailbait 45 had enormous airplay during the fall and early winter of 1971...... It's a great edit and I really would love to see it as a bonus track on Pilgrimage someday .....
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2011, 07:20:40 AM »
Andy Powell (the bespectacled Flying V player with the Blackmore influence) was originally a horn player - so he came from those brass arrangements and pretty much transposed them to guitar playing.

Chaser001

« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2011, 09:53:56 AM »
Martin Turner plays nothing that is rhytmically difficult or tricky or especially fast, he's just melodic and puts accents in the music. Sort of like McCartney, who is rhythmically meat and potatores (certainly no Jack Bruce), but harmonically and melodically great. And Turner is one hell of an awkward finger player  :mrgreen: when he - as he almost never does and more importantly never really should  8) - puts the pick away:

http://www.youtube.com/WishboneInfo#p/u/44/98EweSUZP1s

Gene Simmons, another pick player, looks the same way when he plays with his fingers. And so do I - just too embarrassing, really!  :mrgreen:

http://www.areuonsomething.com/m-files_wishbone.html

In this article, Martin Turner's style is compared to that of Jet Harris, Paul McCartney, and Sting. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2011, 10:33:42 AM »
It's funny, Sting cannot really have had an influence on Martin Turner as Police were only on the way in when Wishbone Ash were already on the way out (there is a connection in so far as Stewart Copeland, the police drummer, was the younger brother of Miles Copeland, the Wishbone Ash manager), but when I listened to some of the tracks posted above I thought of a Sting likeness too ... that bony sound, they are both pick players (Sting at least in his early days, he plays mostly with his thumb now).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:06:27 AM by uwe »

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
I'm adding John Wetton on my list, and it is final! :P

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.