Author Topic: LBO member's poll  (Read 22848 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: LBO member's poll
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2011, 07:12:02 AM »
I don't think I've ever bought anything because a specific bass-player was on the recording - I've always gone for the "ensemble-piece" - that would be my problem with a "strict" top-ten (Alice Cooper, Allman Brothers, Who, Rush, etc...)

Same here. That's why I haven't posted a list. I either like the music as a whole, or not. Even then, the bassist doesn't necessarily have to stand out. If he does, then I'll take notice (e.g. Wyman, Entwistle) but that's not necessary.

Chaser001

« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2011, 08:55:33 AM »
I used to focus more on the music as a whole.  Now I focus way more on the bass.  I really prefer the way it used to be.  When I used to sing as well as play bass, I was able to focus on all the music more.  That doesn't completely make sense, but it's true.   Now that I rarely sing, I concentrate way more just on the bass.  This isn't just when I'm playing, but also when I'm just listening to music.  I appreciated music more when I wasn't so keyed in on just the bass.  Nevertheless, this isn't just something that you can will to be so one way or another.  I'll just say that in theory I prefer listening to the music as a whole, but in practice I now seem to do it another way. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
Same here. That's why I haven't posted a list. I either like the music as a whole, or not...

That's why I had to view mine as "influences" and not "faves"... Who did you enjoy listening to when you first started playing - try that approach...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
That's why I had to view mine as "influences" and not "faves"... Who did you enjoy listening to when you first started playing - try that approach...

Britpop and country.

Speaking of country, I only recently found out that one session bassist was responsible for more hits coming out of Nashville (country and otherwise) than anyone else from about 1960-1990. Probably more number one hits and total sessions than the names we're familiar with (Osborn, Kaye, Jamerson etc). And yet his name has never been mentioned here and I would be surprised if more than a few of us would recognize his name.

Chaser001

« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2011, 04:26:52 PM »
I've heard about the Nashville A-Team.  I'd guess Bob Moore.  I'm not that far from Nashville; this really shouldn't be something I have to guess.   

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2011, 10:12:06 PM »
I don't think I've ever bought anything because a specific bass-player was on the recording

I've bought for example Lenny White's "Venusian Summer" because of Doug Rauch. Luckily it turned out to be a fine fusion album. I'm a collector anyway and have bought and been drawn to some albums because of some musicians playing on them.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »
Sh-t! I forgot to mention Charlie McCoy, the harmonica player who played bass on Dylan's John Wesley Harding, a bassist who really impressed me with his simpleness. I enjoy just listening to them bass parts on that album.
And last (maybe), but not least: The Truly Great man from The Blockheads, and Wilco Johnsons band, yes... we're talking about the explosive Norman Watt-Roy. Got a truly amazing stage style, cramped over his Jazz bass, looking like a panther waiting for another booty. And a great funk player in a cool style. Listen to Ian Dury's Sex and drugs and rock'n'roll, and you'll hear what I mean.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
I think most of us admire and listen to many more than 10 bass players, even if we can't name them.  There are great bass parts scattered throughout music, and any of them can inspire us to try a sound, technique or bass line that we hadn't thought of before.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2011, 11:24:46 AM »
Agree completely, Pilgrim. And now, that you mention it, did I remember to mention, eh... what's that name again... Played on... no, must have been... Scheiße, can't remember... Is it all right if I come back, later? ;D

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
The Truly Great man from The Blockheads
norman watt-roy.
Louder bass!.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »
One name I thought someone would have mentioned is Willy Weeks. I really don't know much about him, but several of my bass playing friends think he's one of the best they've ever heard.  ???
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »
Emory Gordy jr.

Bill Black

Timothy B. Schmidt

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2011, 04:29:38 AM »
Timothy B. Schmidt?!! Great backing vocals, but as a Randy Meisner fan I dissent!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2011, 07:24:34 AM »
The top 10 is just a metaphor much like 'the top 10 in Austin'. more or less

Aww..don't be jealous, it's kinda cute but also very unbecoming. It would be impossible for you to affect how proud I am of the recognition I received from fans/peers in a HUGE music town. Enjoy your day.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2011, 07:40:15 AM »
i am sure no one is jealous.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:48:34 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead