Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Lowe Shop Notes

<< < (4/147) > >>

Highlander:
Do a search on "Phoenix" and you'll find the thread, Brad... it's somewhat elderly now... owned the beastie a long time now and (thankfully) no provenance... PC used to do some works on this and other instruments I own as I lived a few miles from his (then) home... used to work out of a garage in those days...

BTL:

--- Quote from: gearHed289 on December 17, 2014, 08:52:18 AM ---Cool. I like the Ric-inspired one and the 2+2 headstock. Do you make the necks, or are they "Fender licensed" from somebody else?

--- End quote ---
Thanks!

All current production bodies and necks are CNC-milled by Best Guitar Parts - the OEM shop well known for its work with Fano, Gigliotti, Lull, Nash, Soloway, Tedesco and others.

--- Quote from: Highlander on December 17, 2014, 04:27:05 PM ---Do a search on "Phoenix" and you'll find the thread, Brad... it's somewhat elderly now... owned the beastie a long time now and (thankfully) no provenance... PC used to do some works on this and other instruments I own as I lived a few miles from his (then) home... used to work out of a garage in those days...

--- End quote ---

That is so cool...I remember that project!

In a lot of ways early on your work was inspirational to me.

8)

Highlander:
Thank you... nice compliment and appreciated... only thing for me is that it's still an unfinished project...

BTL:
I didn't realize it was never finished.

Life gets in the way, doesn't it?

Well...it seems I've stumbled on an interesting "gap" in the bass market.

It appears as though no one makes a a 34" to 32" scale "conversion" neck that fits a standard 2 1/2" neck pocket.

Warmoth's 32" neck fits its 30" bodies, and Fender's 32" necks only fit the bodies they are built for.

It's and easy enough problem to solve.

Just shorten the truss rod and move the nut and headstock to the first fret...DONE!

I'm going to do this with my standard 21 fret neck with overhang, so the resulting "conversion" neck is still 20 frets.

Here's an example where Plug&Play at TalkBass had a luthier build a 32" neck for a Lakland.

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/lakland-converted-to-32-medium-scale.1107348/

Rob:
Clever and I suspect there is a market.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version