Author Topic: show your short-scales!  (Read 24968 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: show your short-scales!
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2009, 10:02:26 AM »
Please, guys. This is a bass thread. Go to the FootwearOutpost.com for your private discussions! ;)

Very nice collection, Saf!!!

About the 70s EB0 some more above: The 'middle' pick up looks better on a 70s EB0 than on my tweo pick up EB3.

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »
I think you're jealous chris. I quess you don't have the required slippers at home.  ;)

I like the EB pick up more in the neck position than in the middle. For the looks. I don't know if there is a big difference soundwise?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2009, 11:00:01 AM »
'64 Epiphone Newport

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »
What a great bassguitar, like em

Blazer

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »
DeArmond Jetstar
Hey Saf, what kind of cool fretless bass with a maple fingerboard is that? I've been searching for a bass like that for ages.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »
Got a new one - '71 Guild solidbody fretless M-85:

Considering putting in Dark Stars, need to figure out what to do about the bottom strap pin, plus it's missing the original truss-rod cover. But it's a fun bass!

Here it is with some of my other shorties:

L-R: '75 Alembic Series I doubleneck (the fretted neck is 30"); my wife's Allen Woody; '67 Starfire I Bass; '71 M-85 solidbody

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2009, 11:13:06 AM »
Wow!! That's a gorgeous bass! I really like it!!! Congratulations:)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »
The new Guild looks great!

... need to figure out what to do about the bottom strap pin

I use those Dunlop straplocks on my stuff, and at one point bought a bunch of buttons en-masse (Allparts sells just the buttons - so you don't have to buy the whole Dunlop kit every time) to retrofit to my basses.  My JS-II was a bit of a pain because of that strap pin in the body:

Just wrap a cloth around the button, grab it with some pliers, and carefully and gently twist it side to side - should wiggle right out of there.  It leaves a huge hole behind, so what I did was get a wood dowel from the hardware store, sand it to fit (the hole had sort of a conical shape to it - so I tried to match that and snug it up), and then used a bit of wood glue to glue the dowel in there.  Once that dried, I drilled it out for the Dunlop button (just a normal size wood screw) and once installed, the button and little felt washer that I use actually covered it all up.  It was kind of a pain to deal with, but it has held up well.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2009, 11:59:02 AM »
Thanks Joe! Actually, the strap pin is missing - there's just that big hole. Guess I'll need to go dowel hunting...

Thinking maybe I could get a wooden truss rod cover custom made? The pickup selector switch isn't original either - this is one of the instruments that showed up with a red die (as in dice) instead of the original metal bat. So I'm not worried about keeping it correct/vintage/etc. I see this bass as a player.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »
Nice one, Harry.

Too bad they left off the frets.  ;D

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2009, 01:19:33 PM »
Thanks Joe! Actually, the strap pin is missing - there's just that big hole. Guess I'll need to go dowel hunting...

Thinking maybe I could get a wooden truss rod cover custom made? The pickup selector switch isn't original either - this is one of the instruments that showed up with a red die (as in dice) instead of the original metal bat. So I'm not worried about keeping it correct/vintage/etc. I see this bass as a player.

Oh- I didn't know it was missing the button altogether.  If it helps, I can find/send you my old one.  Still - long term its probably safer to dowel it if you want something secure.  The button itself on the original is kind of small, and I had a near miss with the strap slipping off of it once.

The guy that I bought my old Roland bass from had built a TRC for it out of maple.  Looks decent, and covers the hole.  I don't have a close-up of it, but you can kind of see it here:  http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/0chromium0/forums/roland/DSCF0100.jpg

You could also check w/Hans Moust on LTG (or here http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/) to see if he has an original TRC.  I've seen them pop up on Ebay from time-to-time too.

I'd like to find the metal switch bat for my pickup selector too.  Mine has a plastic Gibson tip on it that doesn't quite fit.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2009, 04:11:19 PM »
I  love those Guilds!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2009, 08:01:02 PM »
 I want a carved top JS sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad  :sad:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »
I want a carved top JS sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad  :sad:

The one that looks like a German cuckoo clock?   ;D
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2009, 05:02:57 PM »
there was a vintageguitar show where I had a stand and I couldn't resist some bass there so besides selling some guitars and parts I'd buy 4 basses

teisco eb-0 met kahler trem

Kay

Eko 1100

and last bur not leat a godwin les paul