Author Topic: Santana Cover Album  (Read 4633 times)

Hornisse

Re: Santana Cover Album
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 09:16:16 PM »

I saw them on the Amigos tour Summer of '76.  Really loved that Amigos, Moonflower, Marathon period. 

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 09:18:33 PM »
Santana hasn't done anything noteworthy since Abraxas.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Hornisse

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »
Santana hasn't done anything noteworthy since Abraxas.

I have to disagree.  Santana III is one of my favorites. Caravanserai and Lotus are right up there as well.  Europa off of Amigos is just beautiful.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:53 PM »
I like most of the early stuff. Saw him once in London in the early 90's. I really enjoyed the show, great stuff. Later albums seem a bit suger coated and over produced to me.
Digresion our specialty!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 12:23:11 AM »
Sill haven't made up my mind about whether to buy this cd or not.
This song makes me want it!

Lookin' forward to hearing more from SOUNDGARDEN too!!!

Ah~ fixed the link.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »
I've seen the original band twice good show but once Neal Schon joined and Carlos stood back I lost intrest although I did see Carlos on a double bill with Claption.
Tony

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
Was Schon that prominent? That is the Woodstock line up, right? On paper, the two look like an interesting match. Both very original styles, but vastly different. Even with Journey in their megaselling heyday (or in his Jan Hammer projects, hell, even in Bad English), I found Schon had a truly original style. He sounded like he really didn't listen to what other guitarists were doing around him and made a wide arc around all Mike Varney-isms. Among Perry's stratospheric crooning and Cain's "AOR from the book"-songwriting (albeit skillful), Schon was the singular piece of spice Journey still had after the departure of Greg Rolie. Still the best and most original AOR band in my book though and unlike Bon Jovi not all their ballads sound the same either.  ;D

Speaking of Mike Varney: The new Santana CD could be one of his products. It is that bad (I've listened to it repeatedly now). Abraxas compares to it like Sgt. Pepper does to The Girl is Mine, Macca's syrupy and ultimately pointless track with MJ. There is no point in hearing Carlos Santana play Smoke on the Water (unless it had been a really off the wall arrangement, which it isn't, in fact it sounds a bit as if The Miami Soundmachine played it).

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:21:02 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 12:14:29 PM »
I bought 3 albums this week...This Santana album and the last 2 Kings of Leon albums.

I like most of the Santana album - hey, I grew up in the '60's & 70's - I remember Carlos Santana melting my eardrums with that wailing guitar of his. This new stuff is different, but it's got some character and I think they brought some life back into some songs that lost their zip many years ago. There's a few poo-bombs in there and personally, I don't listen to any group that has "Def" in its name, so seeing Photograph was disappointing to say the least.  I've already deleted it and moved on. Back in Black was also embarrassing...and I'm only a listener.

As for the Kings of Leon - I had (until yesterday) never heard a single tune by these guys.  The latest album "Come Around Sundown" is really, really good. How's that for a review?  "really, really good".

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »
Was Schon that prominent? That is the Woodstock line up, right? On paper, the two look like an interesting match. Both very original styles, but vastly different. Even with Journey in their megaselling heyday (or in his Jan Hammer projects, hell, even in Bad English), I found Schon had a truly original style. He sounded like he really didn't listen to what other guitarists were doing around him and made a wide arc around all Mike Varney-isms. Among Perry's stratospheric crooning and Cain's "AOR from the book"-songwriting (albeit skillful), Schon was the singular piece of spice Journey still had after the departure of Greg Rolie. Still the best and most original AOR band in my book though and unlike Bon Jovi not all their ballads sound the same either.  ;D

Speaking of Mike Varney: The new Santana CD could be one of his products. It is that bad (I've listened to it repeatedly now). Abraxas compares to it like Sgt. Pepper does to The Girl is Mine, Macca's syrupy and ultimately pointless track with MJ. There is no point in hearing Carlos Santana play Smoke on the Water (unless it had been a really off the wall arrangement, which it isn't, in fact it sounds a bit as if The Miami Soundmachine played it).

Neal joined Santana after Woodstock. After Neal joined Carlos let Neal do most of the lead guitar work this is not a knock against Neal I liked the first three Journey albums after they went commerical I stopped listining .
Tony

Hornisse

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 04:31:34 PM »
Neal joined on Santana III. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 03:51:11 PM »
He's on some live stuff before that was released - I'm positive you can see him sitting on the stage (left of screen) watching the Hendrix set at Woodstock- he would have been 15 at the time but the kid is a dead-ringer for a young Schon and Santana were there... I'll have to watch it again to satisfy my own curiosity...

Was Schon that prominent?

There is some live stuff with him you can freely listen to on Wolfgangs - Allmans style twin leads...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »
He may have been hanging around with the band but the two songs that they show on You Tube he's not playing with the band.
Tony

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 04:16:58 PM »
Do you mean at Woodstock...? definitely not then...

He's on rhythm in this one...

Or how about this - Clapton, Santana and Schon in 1970 in a studio jam...

... and this clearly shows what I mean by the twin-leads in a jamming style...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 04:30:18 PM by Kenny's 51st State »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
I prefer the original version myself.  :)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 05:03:22 PM »
I prefer the original version myself.  :)

Now you're talking! I love this old Fleetwood Mac stuff.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.