Author Topic: Tonight should be fun  (Read 7277 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight should be fun
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
geeze I feel like chopped liver.

Somebody pegged the good Doctor as a well heeled older fella ;D  Meaing someone there thinks he's got some dough :P

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 08:00:51 PM »
Here you go.  It was a bear trying to get good pics of that black finish.  They didn't have a natural one.  The Triumph II is nice.  A typical Epi bass.  This was a prototype, not for sale, that's why the showing by invite only.  It sounds pretty good, but I thought the pup set up sounded thin, but very clean and clear.  It has a nice hollow tone, but no projection at all unplugged.  The finish is a mile deep, poly.  The neck is a minus for me.  Very wide like a p-bass, but at least its somewhat flatter, not too thick.

Will I buy one?  If the final production models, due in by November 15th., have a smaller neck, I just might!  

A fiver too.............

And the coolest guitar.............

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 08:37:35 PM »

Thanks for the pix!

I don't think I'd need a Triumph, as my Washburn AB20 scratches that itch pretty well, but it cool no the less....................

The Firebird = Sexiest Guitar - ever!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 10:52:39 PM »
Thanks for the pics. I can't say I'm surprised by your description, given what we know about Epi necks and finishes.

Cool looking Johnny Winter Firebird, looks like it's over 50% off. What a bargain!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 04:15:46 AM »
The Firebird = Sexiest Guitar - ever!

If I had the money to invest, that Firebird would be sitting right next to me now.  I really liked it.  Well done.  Maybe Gibson should specialize in relics!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 04:23:38 AM »
Thanks for the pics. I can't say I'm surprised by your description, given what we know about Epi necks and finishes.

Cool looking Johnny Winter Firebird, looks like it's over 50% off. What a bargain!

Yeah, I forgot to mention the neck was a satin finish, not the usual glossy.  It felt nice, but way too wide.  I will say that access all the way up to the 20th. fret was a breeze with the deep cutaway.  Not to suggest one do this but, if I bought one, I'd build a more comfortable neck.  Heck, I guess I could  just build one altogether anyway.

If I were going to buy a more contemporary HB bass, I'd consider a likely competitor to this bass.  The old discontinued Yamaha BEX series is an excellent 34" bass and you can cop one off eBay for less than $400 typically.  It has a piezo and a regular pup, which gives it a much fuller sound IMHO.  The neck is much smaller too.

I've never told my BEX story here.  I bought it as my second bass 5 years or more ago and that's the one that got me hooked on hollow body basses!  I wouldn't mind having another one.  If only they didn't put that "Yamaha" logo on the headstock.  I can't get the motorcycle image out of my head!!!

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 05:20:02 AM »
If I went back to guitar full time a Firebird would be top of my list.  That "Triumph" thing - no way!
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 06:23:47 AM »
Did you try the Epi Pro bird?

They have a full page ad in the latest Musician's Friend Cat. I just got in the mail.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »
That Firebird...  8)

The Triumph irks me a bit, Bill... considering it is a prototype, you would think they would make a bit of effort and would have properly "book-ended" the top... just me I guess...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 09:35:02 AM »
Maybe Gibson should specialize in relics!

Gibson made quite a few of 'relic' guitars.

nofi

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 12:28:09 PM »
many things gibson makes seem to become relics sooner rather than later. ;) not a huge gibson fan but i have owned a few. their business model never ceases to baffle and amaze.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 01:38:54 PM »
That Firebird...  8)

The Triumph irks me a bit, Bill... considering it is a prototype, you would think they would make a bit of effort and would have properly "book-ended" the top... just me I guess...

Yeah, not very much attention to detail, huh?  Actually, I wouldn't spend $799, even if they improved the neck.  I actually got to fill out a sheet telling the rep what I'd like to see improved.  I wrote a bunch of stuff about the neck.  I figured the top matching was just their rush to turn out a prototype.

yeah, that Firebird......... :P

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 01:40:27 PM »
Did you try the Epi Pro bird?

They have a full page ad in the latest Musician's Friend Cat. I just got in the mail.

Yes, and I liked it.  I'm considering the 4-string model.  Nicely done matt finish and construction.  Sounds really good for an Epi!  Definitely better done than the Triumph.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 01:56:31 PM »
Johnny Winter is one of my all time favorites !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »
Johnny Winter is one of my all time favorites !

Last I saw him, he was so screwed up they had to lead him out with a band mate holding him on either side & they had to put the guitars on him.

When they brought out his T bird, the crowd went crazy like it was a star in itself. He could still play though.