Author Topic: April is approaching quickly ...  (Read 8544 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: April is approaching quickly ...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
Sounds cool. That little clip had a classic vibe going. I'm kinda surprised you're still into them. I thought you would have jumped ship with old Blacky.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:46:08 PM »
Not at all - two of my favorite DP albums (Come Taste the Band and Purpendicular) don''t feature Blckmore at all. He was both their spirit and the millstone around their neck - it was time he left when he did (for the second time) in 1993. A song like Rosa's Cantina would have been impossible with Blackers, he is so incredibly set in his ways, it's either his way or no other.

As Ian Paice quipped: "Ritchie is happy now. I hear he's playing acoustic guitar with his girlfriend and they are being managed by her mother, so I'm sure it must be all very professional ...".  :mrgreen:

That's Don Airey you hear (on the teaser track, the Rosa's Cantina track features Lord of course and he is at his rhytmic forte there), technically a more proficient player than Jon Lord (who in many ways was to the Hammond what Keith Richards is to the Tele, i.e. not a Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman at all, a lot of his playing was all about the groove, people tend tp forget that a Hammond is a rhythm instrument). Airey is second gerneration DP family if you will. He played with Cozy Powell's Hammer, Colosseum II, Rainbow, Jethro Tull, Gary Moore, Black Sabbath (that is him on that instrumental track of Never say Die), Ozzy Ozbourne (he wrote the intro to Mr Crowley, toured with him etc), Whitesnake (those are his synths on Is it Love and Here I go Again), The Animals, Michael Schenker ...

That now makes him sound more like a journeyman than he is. Ever since - at Lord's recommendation - he took the spot with DP he's been a  happy man. He once joked: "When I heard Jon was retiring from touring with DP, I went to my wife and asked: Will they call me?!!!!" They sure did.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:52:58 PM by uwe »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
I always liked Lord and Don Airey (and that's coming from someone that was diehard anti-keyboard as a teenaged rocker). The keyboards on Bark at the Moon threatened to overshadow the guitar (especially live), but I never blamed that on Don.

Edit to add: Ezrin? This could be interesting!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:56:59 PM by OldManC »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »
I like Bark at the Moon beecause I like Jake E. Lee over Rhoads and Wylde. But Don is dominant, you bet.

It took me all those years to finally have a keyboarder in our band - she's a girl - and it has enhanced our music no end. And while Miriam came from a melodic metal band where she added - yawn! - "textures" to the incessant riffing, I very slowly encouraged her to play rhythmic and play solos (initially I basically had to bend her arm to make her do it)  :mrgreen: which she now does. So now we're indie alt with a touch of seventies keyboards and a bass player who plays too many thirds.  :mrgreen: Did anybody say Wishbone Ash?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
Sounds cool. Post some video!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
I saw "April" and immediately thought about motorcycles...
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »
This is all a bit OCD if you ask me... ;D

(does this coincide with the point that Morse exceeds RB's membership of DP by years of service...? I think it may well do...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »
I like Bark at the Moon beecause I like Jake E. Lee over Rhoads and Wylde.
That's crazy talk. I remember getting bark... On the strength of the title track but was horribly disappointed by the rest of the album. I like shot in the dark but won't make the same mistake with the ultimate sin. Randy was king!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:38:05 PM »
I saw Rhoads with Ozzy. I thought he was a sloppy playing little polka-dot guitar munchkin if you ask me (forgive me Randy!). I know Ozzy fans love him and that's ok. I was probably unfair because he was still a kid, but I measured him on the accuracy of, yes, Ritchie and the then Whitesnake guitarists Moody and Marsden who were beer-bellied musos, but hardened veterans from the Brit circuit.

I thought "Blind" Jake E. Lee's guitaring more mature - stone me! Rhoads was the little Mozart of heavy metal guitar, too sweet for me. Lee had more grit. And I did like that short-lived Bark at the Moon touring line-up with Carmine Appice - say what you will, but a great drummer -, Daisley (how he gelled with ole Carmine), Airey, Lee and who was the singer again. That was a real band for once.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 06:17:23 PM »
^
Carmine Appice--possibly my favorite drummer.  His drumming on "Shotgun" is a masterpiece.  But the original version of that song seems to be hard to find.  I don't even have it on CD. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:30:34 PM by westen »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »
Interesting, Tommy Aldridge played on the album. Any recordings with Appice from that tour, or anybody got a boot? BTW, nothing wrong with Mozart. He must have spent the majority of his life writing music; most admirable indeed.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 03:11:13 AM »
I really like Jake E Lee. But his finest hours were not with Ozzy.
I like Bark At The Moon. But The Ultimate Sin is barely listenable for me anymore. I gave the LP (vinyl) a spin the other day for good old times' sake. And I found the production and the mix very weak.

I prefer his work with Badlands. Jake E Lee in a more bluesy hard rock style.

Looking forward to hearing the new DP album!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 04:50:06 AM »
Never seen Ozzy post Sabbath but the Moody/Marsden Whitesnake were a great band... again, never seen Coverdale post this point... DP was the #4 lineup and the reformed #2 - never seen them with Morse... Seen Rainbow in several incarnations - Dio/Bonnet/JLT...

I've only been to see a handful of gigs since the end of the 80's
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...