Author Topic: April is approaching quickly ...  (Read 8574 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: April is approaching quickly ...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »
The definition of irony is a forum where all discussions lead to DP or Blackmore....EXCEPT the threads started for just that discussion.  Those quickly morph to something else.  I love this place.   :thumbsup:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 07:45:57 AM »
The definition of irony is a forum where all discussions lead to DP or Blackmore....EXCEPT the threads started for just that discussion.  Those quickly morph to something else.  I love this place.   :thumbsup:

Seriously, though, it is actually a good thing to see a bass board in which guitarists who deserve respect actually get that respect.  This goes for not only Blackmore, but others, also.   
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 08:09:10 AM »
Had to listen to bark @ the moon today. Rock n' roll rebel is another great track. Daisley gets nasty on that one. Jake definitely rips it up on the whole album, but every time Airey jumps in it's cheese city. Hoping his keyboard playing has matured some for the new Purple.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »
Interesting, Tommy Aldridge played on the album. Any recordings with Appice from that tour, or anybody got a boot? BTW, nothing wrong with Mozart. He must have spent the majority of his life writing music; most admirable indeed.

When he wasn't catching VD that is!  :mrgreen:

Here you are: Airey, Appice, Daisley, Lee & the Oz

I never saw the Aldridge, Sarzo, Rhoads line up play nearly as well:

-  Aldridge is a good, even excellent technical drummer, but doesn't have Appice's panache or groove,

-  Sarzo looked like a rock god, but there is a reason why so many producers prefer pick attack in heavy metal bass playing and you hear it well here, Daisley has just more focus (he has a pick sound all of his own, kind of honky), that bass is always clearly heard, but never obnoxious, Sarzo tended to be a little everywhere soundwise,

- Lee, what can I say, I believe he is both the more restrained and the more effective guitarist compared to Randy, at least in this line up.

Or maybe I just like this outfit so much because it sounded more like an English heavy rock band rather than an American metal outfit. And Ozzy, bloated as he was at the time, could still sing. Stupid Sharon, tone-deaf as she is, didn't like this line-up, too many seasoned players, too little youth, kind of like that priest in the other thread ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
Killer! They look like they're having so much fun playing too. Wonder why Jake couldn't hang on to the gig?
This is some impressive soloing right here.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 03:55:18 PM »
I mean that is a histrionic 80ies metal show-off solo he is playing there, but it is controlled and perfectly executed. He's one mean (Super-)Strat player, that also gave him more grit than Randy.

Lee wanted to leave in part - he had his Badlands project though that would flounder badly and he never got back on his feet commercially - and at the same time he was also regarded as "difficult" by Sharon. And you know what happens to people Sharon doesn't like in Ozzy's band!

Around 88 - Lee had left - I saw Ozzy again in some Phoenix Superstadium  with a then young and sleek Zakk Wylde, Geezer Butler (AWOL from Sabbath), that Faith No More drummer with the rasta look and Mark Stanway (of Heavy Metal Kids, Uriah Heep and Magnum fame or non-fame) hidden beneath the stage as the keyboarder selling himself achingly short. That was the tour where allegedly Michael Kiske of Helloween would sometimes "help out" Ozzy on vocals unbeknownst to the audience when Ozzy was having a bad day. Zakk was exhuberant (and the first person I saw for a long time wearing flares again) and the line up sounded interesting on paper, but they sounded rough that night and nowhere as good as the Jake E. Lee line ups.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »
^^That was the nite that Zakk had his little meltdown about his rig not being set up properly and berated his roadies during his solo. I think Anthrax was the opener on that nite.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 08:41:34 AM »
I think you're right ... I had forgotten about them, this was already past their prime ...

Were you there too?  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »
Yeah I was there too. Zakk's rant is about the only thing I remember about the show. Anthrax was fun to watch.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
Why didn't you say hello then and introduce yourself to me for Chrissakes?  8) And say something meaningful like: "I believe we will be in an online forum together sometime in the future when such things exist and though you don't know it yet Uwe and don't own a single Gibson bass yet this too will change in the future ....".

Back to the original topic, judging from this, Herr Ezrin seems to have delivered, very groovy and I love it when Gillan sings in a deeper register:

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
my wife just told me she saw the machine head tour. thought i would pass it on, uwe. thought i knew all her secrets by now. ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »
Machine Head tour in the seventies? :o :o :o You are a blessed man, Nofi, a blessed man. And it's a good thing if someone in the family has musical taste.  8)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »
judging from this, Herr Ezrin seems to have delivered, very groovy and I love it when Gillan sings in a deeper register:

Didn't you mean very boring instead of groovy?

My goodness, it's Tony Joe White meets Dire Straits (in a bad way)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »
April is indeed approaching quickly.....

WHAN that Aprille with his shoures soote
The droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote,   
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,   
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;   
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth   
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne   
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours y-ronne,
And smale fowles maken melodye,   
That slepen al the night with open ye,
(So priketh hem nature in hir corages:    
Than longen folk to goon on pilgrimages......

I'm making a pilgrimage home for a beer.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 03:39:04 PM »
Didn't you mean very boring instead of groovy?

My goodness, it's Tony Joe White meets Dire Straits (in a bad way)

Some of y'all never been down south too much, I wanna tell you something about this, so that you'll understand what I'm talking about...

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal