Author Topic: McCartney/Nirvana Benefit Tonight  (Read 9520 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: McCartney/Nirvana Benefit Tonight
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 08:32:12 AM »

Courtney Love is upset about the "reunion."   She is even more pushy than I realized. 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10853731

Does Courtney now think she inherited Kurt's position in the band? Does she think she ought to have veto power over the other two? Maybe her drug-addled brain thinks she was actually a band member.

That article's headline should be corrected to "Pathetic waste of humanity against Paul McCartney in Nirvana"

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 08:43:39 AM »
Does Courtney now think she inherited Kurt's position in the band? Does she think she ought to have veto power over the other two? Maybe her drug-addled brain thinks she was actually a band member.

That article's headline should be corrected to "Pathetic waste of humanity against Paul McCartney in Nirvana"

She is truly a pain, to say the least.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/courtney-love-tells-lana-del-rey-that-heart-shaped-box-is-about-her-vagina-20120730
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »
**** Fuse.  I guess the only way to listen to the song from last night is to subscribe to Fuse.  **** Fuse and cable companies, in general.  Although I do like "Dexter," so I do have to make an exception for Showtime. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »
She is truly a pain, to say the least.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/courtney-love-tells-lana-del-rey-that-heart-shaped-box-is-about-her-vagina-20120730

I would agree, but I did see an interview with her by Carrie Fisher that was pretty good.  Love admitted on that show that she was angry that Kurt became more famous than her.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
I gloat that I can see something on youtube you guys can't - normally it's the other way around!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
I would agree, but I did see an interview with her by Carrie Fisher that was pretty good.  Love admitted on that show that she was angry that Kurt became more famous than her.

I just think Courtney Love needs to take into consideration this was being done for charity.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »
I gloat that I can see something on youtube you guys can't - normally it's the other way around!

I find that pretty often I get music videos blocked, too.  But I do think more are probably blocked from the European side.   I'm sure that concert will eventually be shown on the Fuse channel in the U.S., but my cable company informed me last year if I wanted to keep get Fuse and some other channels, I'd have to pay more.  So, I didn't since I don't like the idea of holding channels hostage like that.  I'll pay more for adding channels but not for keeping channels I already had in the first place. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
Old guys can still rock.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
Thanks for a chance to see that.  I agree that the angst of the original  Nirvana is completely missing.  But Paul McCartney seems to have rarely had a lot of emotion in his music.  That isn't what he does best; he does many other things great, however.  Paul McCartney has demonstrated many times he is skilled at collaborating with people and I wish he would have done it more.  Maybe he still can to an extent. 

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
Man was Grohl ever overdoing it with the fu- drum face.  Looks like his jaw was trying to run away.

Novoselic looks good with the beard.  Love the pants.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 03:26:21 AM »
Thanks for a chance to see that.  I agree that the angst of the original  Nirvana is completely missing.  But Paul McCartney seems to have rarely had a lot of emotion in his music.  That isn't what he does best; he does many other things great, however.  Paul McCartney has demonstrated many times he is skilled at collaborating with people and I wish he would have done it more.  Maybe he still can to an extent.  

That is an interesting (and apt) observation about Paul and transmitting emotion. Never thought of it that way but it hits the nail on the head with Mcwell's silver hammer. Paul is a crooner and a bard in an old fashioned pre-sixties-music-as-social-movement sense, even where he attempts to be emotional and committed, he ends up too beautiful or even twee ... I always thought Yesterday overwrought in comparison to Harrison's Something which captures yearning so well. And when Paul commemorates the Civil Rights Movement with Blackbird it is well-intentioned but still twee. Ebony & Ivory was much the same. Where he is more direct - Give Ireland back to the Irish - it's awkward. Paul is a wonderful musician and the pop world would be a lot poorer without him, but his artistic capabilities overshadow his emotional content. The one emotion he can transmit is happiness, maybe because that is what he essentially is: a happy, slightlyy naïve guy grateful for life as such and his life in particular (which appeals to be more than Cobain's outlook on life). Now don't jump on me for that, I'm not knocking Macca  for it, just observing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:52:23 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 05:31:34 AM »
Old guys can still rock.

Fuse content...and blocked...sigh
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »
That is an interesting (and apt) observation about Paul and transmitting emotion. Never thought of it that way but it hits the nail on the head with Mcwell's silver hammer. Paul is a crooner and a bard in an old fashioned pre-sixties-music-as-social-movement sense, even where he attempts to be emotional and committed, he ends up too beautiful or even twee ... I always thought Yesterday overwrought in comparison to Harrison's Something which captures yearning so well. And when Paul commemorates the Civil Rights Movement with Blackbird it is well-intentioned but still twee. Ebony & Ivory was much the same$ Where he is more direct - Give Ireland back to the Irish - it's awkward. Paul is a wonderful musician and the pop world would be a lot poorer without him, but his artistic capabilities overshadow his emotional content. The one emotion he can transmit is happiness, maybe because that is what he essentially is: a happy, slightlyy naïve guy grateful for life as such and his life in particular (which appeals to be more than Cobain's outlook on life). Now don't jump on me for that, I'm not knocking Macca  for it, just observing.

I am beginning to see more clearly how much of a team John Lennon and Paul McCartney were.  This is something which is obvious, but maybe not so obvious as it might seem.  Sometimes it seems that some of the great Beatles songs were almost a fluke, but I don't think so.  I think they were authentic; I think they were real.  I've never been much of a fan of Paul as a solo artist, yet have always felt a number of Beatles songs were great.  Now I realize how valid that music was.  But it was music being made by a team which was strongest as a whole, obviously, and never as separate parts.  I always identified more with Lennon's music in the Beatles.  I realize he is rated higher.  But when John and Paul were together, Paul was John's equal.  He didn't have the emotional intensity, but he had a lot of other things.  Plus, there were even rare occasions when he had some emotional intensity.  "Eleanor Rigby" comes to mind as the most obvious example.  Based on what I know now, "Eleanor Rigby" might have been written during a bad mood and it provides the exception to the rule from Paul.  Or maybe there could be other examples even better, but we know something like this was going on from time to time:

Paul McCartney--

[On his songwriting:]
McCartney: "I don't ever try to make a serious social comment. ... It's just a song."

McCartney: "How I wrote depended on my mood. The only way I would be sort of biting and witty like [John Lennon] was if I was in a bad mood!"

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 08:02:35 AM »
Fuse content...and blocked...sigh

Thanks, Fuse, but I won't be adding ten dollars to my cable bill to subscribe (although I realize the concert will probably be shown sooner or later on cable TV.)

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 08:38:46 AM »
That video was available for a few hours at least. Damned DMCA. Stream it live on 29 channels and YouTube, now it's locked behind a paywall.