Author Topic: Fretless 1975 sunburst Ripper - originally supplied fretless...?  (Read 3372 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

Re: Fretless 1975 sunburst Ripper - originally supplied fretless...?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:43:45 AM »
Yes, they did make them like that.  I've only seen the sunburst/Ebony ones though. 

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:51:47 AM »
Cheers for clearing that one up for me, Robert...

Are there any other bass's they've supplied fretless from new...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »
I remember seeing a Victory fretless years ago.  That is the only other one I can think of at the moment.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:45:06 PM »
I have a fretless Ripper, Victory, Q-90, Les Paul DeLuxe and a prototype Junior shape. I saw what looked like legit fretless versions of a G-3 and a nineties TB on ebay. They do exist. Back in the good old days, if you asked for one nicely they made you one.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »
Uwe, et al... What would your favourite fretless bass be, Gibson or otherwise, and which type of neck - plain wood, lacquered, maple, ebony...?

I'm very pleased with my RD... the sound and playability is superb, regardless of my mods...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
If I'm not mistaken The Ripper is the only model officialy offered as a fretless.

barend

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »
Gibson would not be my first choice for a fretless bass. But a fretless G-3 might sound good if you play it in position 1 (bridge and middle pickup together) if you are looking for a jazz bass type fretless sound.
I wonder why out of all basses they made a fretless version of the Ripper (instead of another model).

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »
I wonder why out of all basses they made a fretless version of the Ripper (instead of another model).

It could be that Gibson saw it as competition to the fretless Precision, which I think was Fender's only production fretless at the time.

I think of the Grabber as closer to a Precision, but I'm not a marketing expert.  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 03:18:56 AM »
All my Gibson fretless basses sound fine, maho is as good a combination with fretless as maple or alder. But my fretless Grabber, which is most likely an aftermarket conversion, sounds raunchiest, spluttering tone all over.

That said, I don't know yet how my natural Les Paul Money Bass will turn out whom I'm having convertet to fretless as we speak.

As regards choice of boards, I probably have a slight preference of rosewood over ebony for the more pronounced mids, I've never played a fretless maple board though I'd like to try one.

I also have a P Bass sixties reissue from the eighties in fiesta red with an aftermarket rosewood extra-thick fretless board and that sounds awesome as well. A lot of good fretted instruments have an excellent fretless "sleeping" in them.

Uwe

barend

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 04:28:44 AM »
It could be that Gibson saw it as competition to the fretless Precision, which I think was Fender's only production fretless at the time.

I also don't like fretless Precisions so much. The only one (for me that is) who could make that sound good is Percy Jones from Brand X. I prefer the bridge type pickup fretless sound.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 06:07:26 AM »
if i ever win the lottery,i'll make it my life's mission to put frets on all the fretless basses out there  :mrgreen: :o :P
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 06:50:41 AM »
There's a guy in Cincinnati that gigs with a fretless Ripper. It sounds great. Jacoish with a little more bottom.  Very distinctive sound... I could pick it out of a crowd of fretless basses (by ear) very easily.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 07:08:50 AM »
For me that "honkey" Jaco sound never did anything. I like a fretless sound with body. You can get that out of a JB too if you don't relegate the poor thing to bridge pup use only.

Hornisse

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 10:03:40 AM »
Stanley Sheldon is all over Frampton Comes Alive using a maple board Fretless P bass.  I love the bass tones on this record.  The short solo he does on Doobie Wah is cool.