Author Topic: 1977 Gibby T-bird on Guitar Center's used gear page  (Read 8646 times)

Hornisse

Re: 1977 Gibby T-bird on Guitar Center's used gear page
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
Here was my old '78 truss rod cover

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
 It's mine ;D $880.00 plus tax.   :o
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:00:48 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 04:49:47 PM »
Pictures!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re:Now all I need are some boots
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »
See above pics.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 05:53:56 PM »
That doesn't look too bad up close, and you have the skills to improve it if you want to. If there aren't any serious issues, looks like you got a bargain.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
 I like 'em beat up I will leave it as is, laugh if you must but the preservationist in me demands it. Replace the guard and some pickups from SD in '76 covers and I think I'm done........................... and change the knobs. Thanks Denis for pointing this out !

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2010, 10:12:57 PM »
I just bought a drum machine/sampler from Guitar Center's used website. I got a great deal on it, but really the price you must pay for this otherwise excellent service (which is leagues above going to a real Guitar Center and is somehow all but un-advertised) is having to deal with people who work at Guitar Center. Here was my experience in a nutshell.

I called the number for a GC out of state. last Sunday afternoon at about 1pm. I got a description of the unit. They informed me that it didn't have RAM installed (likely the original user upgraded it, then kept the upgrade) and this would be "like $150 or something, dude." eBay says it costs about $25... but i'll take a $200 discount towards this lofty expense .. ha.

I agree to purchase the unit. They "are going to run my (GC) card and call me back in like 25 minutes." After about four hours I called them and confirmed it was sold, but was being sent to the wrong address. I gave them my proper address, twice, but rules say they must send to the address on the GC card. I use the GC card's phone customer support and change my address. I called them back and told them the address is changed. They said that it was too late to process the order (it was now 5pm, Sunday) but they would "first thing Monday" and they would call me back.

To paraphrase Mr. Thurgood and his Georgia Destroyers, "Now Monday came and went and I didn't get a call... so out the door I went." Since I didn't have time to babysit Guitar Center, I called them back again on Tuesday. I was informed the guy handling my order "just totally left, dude" and that someone would get back to me "in like 25 minutes." Suffice to say repeating my name and phone number was for naught.

It is now Wednesday, four days after attempting to give Guitar Center money (something they must really loathe). I call them again. Not only are they "totally swamped, dude" but fate of fates has conspired that my devoted, loyal servant has stepped out. My name and number were requested although I should have advised them to check out the half dozen post it notes on their counter that probably have this information. Debbie Harry wrote about her own Guitar Center experience, I think, when she penned "Hanging on the Telephone."

Today, I finally reached the man who was burdened with the weeklong labor of selling me something. He left me a message while I was at work asking if I was "still interested in the drum machine." It's very fortunate that I was in the car at the time because my head about exploded. I learned that he had never attempted to run the card again, because he needed to confirm my address! Even though I gave it to him several times and changed it on the system 5 days ago. Politely I obliged and made the mistake of asking for a confirmation number on the shipping.

"I don't know if we can do that, dude," he lamented. "Let me call you back on that, tomorrow."

Guitar Center's used website has some good deals if you know what you're looking for, but was $200 savings from the average used price really worth all of this? I find out in a few days if it's even in the condition described.
Half-speed Hawkwind

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010, 11:28:19 PM »
My head hurts just from reading that! It seems that GC never changes from year to year (or location to location).

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 05:32:12 AM »
There's no equivalent for GC (that I am aware of) in the UK...

Wasn't that Sound Control, till they went bust? Now Reverb, but I don't know if they have a used department. Bad service seems to be a common factor in guitar shops on both sides of the Atlantic.

I wish the dollar to pound exchange rate for basses wasn't 1:1. If I could get a used TBird like that for 500 quid, I'd have one.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 06:17:10 AM »
I like 'em beat up I will leave it as is, laugh if you must but the preservationist in me demands it. Replace the guard and some pickups from SD in '76 covers and I think I'm done........................... and change the knobs. Thanks Denis for pointing this out !

That's pretty sweet! Congratulations! You're welcome (and etiquette suggests I get first right of refusal if you ever decide to sell it)!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2010, 07:06:21 AM »
Very nice... We're definitely the wrong side of the "pond", Phil... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »
Keeping things in perspective I think this is a even better deal than the '76 Triumph, once sorted out I think the Tbird will have much more value over the long haul. That long "scratch" on the top of the body has me worried, looks like a crack to me. If so a easy fix and I'll just beat them up and get it for less  ;D  btw I am not made of money it's a shell game really, gear comes and goes. I have a core of pieces in the collection that are never for sale, others are there for profit. I have been at this a loooooooooooong time, since I was 11. I still have my first bass,  If like something I keep it............................................................forever.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:21:10 PM by godofthunder »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 02:31:10 PM »
I still have the nameplate off my first bass... does that count...?  :sad: (head hung in mock shame)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2010, 07:26:05 AM »
I still have the nameplate off my first bass... does that count...?  :sad: (head hung in mock shame)
Well of course it counts ;D I am a pack rat I save everything :sad: I am trying to do better since the move, I try to ignore large trash heaps by the road however much it pains me to drive by......................... I have found wonderful pieces of furniture, house parts etc. I even found a perfectly good bass case in a heap once, no pre CBS Fender inside but maybe some day, The big brown truck  delivers the bass on Tue the 19th ! I can't wait to get this thing in my hands.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »
 :popcorn: