Author Topic: Hi, I'm a Mac....  (Read 4810 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Hi, I'm a Mac....
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:48:34 AM »
You every see the Mac Vs. Windows Vista commercials?

I have always been a Mac Homo (George's term for Mac users). They always have been great machines for myself and at work.

Well, we upgraded to Mac Leopard and we have had nothing but problems with our No-intel based machines. My G-5 Tower at work won't read any camcorder. Apple even replaced the Logic board and still nothing! The tech suggested I down grade to Mac Tiger, which I did and everything worked fine. The problem with that was all my files were up graded by Leopard and non readable by Tiger.

Apple had no idea on what to do. I complained and they are sending me a new MAc Pro quad core Intel Tower in exchange for my old machine. I can't believe they are giving me a new machine!

It has to mean they know there is an Leopard issue and they either can't or wont fix it.

I had a similar issue with several IPods where they crapped out, they just exchanged it for the same model, no questions, testing or anything.

My experience with Apple service has been still excellent. It always pays to get the extended warranty as well. One of my Ipods that I exchanged was two months past the extended warranty. They still gave me a new I pod. I always get a tech on the phone (usually not from India)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, I'm a Mac....
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:00:14 AM »
Dave, is Apple paying us for blatant commercials such as this one?

;D ;D ;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »
Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement to me.  :)  It's great that they're handling the problem but I'd rather not have the problem to begin with. I'll stick with PCs.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »
Glad I've stuck with Tiger.  ;D

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 03:21:52 PM »
I am still running a G4 dual OSX tiger/OS9 set up, which they were nice enough to warn me Leopard will not do.  So I am going to wait till the next one that comes along.  They are running out of cats to name it after.  I had a glitch with an Ipod, and they were all set to swap it out right there.  In the work I do, Macs are the standard, so PCs are not worth it.  I haven't used one in almost 7 years now, when I decided I had given the last hour of my labor to the world of IT professionalism.  In general, I would say the hardware issues are the same or greater with PCs vs Macs, and it really depends on who made what. Bad capacitors make unhappy computers, same as amps. Apples customer service is great.  The operating systems are just different.  I just prefer Macs these days.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
the next version is "Big Tabby"

or Maine Coon Cat?

Also DO NOT UPGRADE TO I LIFE 08 for I Movie, they dumbed it down and took out a bunch of tools that was in HD I Movie. I was told because it was almost the same as final cut express, so they dumbed it down.

So I shipped it off today, wiped clean with my info on a storage disc, but now cant log on to Email & some sites.

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:11:44 AM »
I wonder if Apple will take my 6 y/o desktop and give me a mac pro instead.

My relationship with PCs seems to be kind of equal to what some people have with their Macs. My computers stay working with less issues for longer than anyone I know. One example is the editing computers that my old highschool has. We got 3 brand new computers when I went into the advanced level and on the one I was working on constantly, there were no problems and the other ones which were identical kept having issues. Now I have left and that computer has been sent back to the company and come back reformatted with issues that were not around when I was there.

While I will be getting a mac, I can't say I am looking forward to it as it is going to take a while to save up the money and when it comes time to buy it, my pockets will be near empty.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 08:31:24 AM »
I'm writing this on my Mac Powerbook, but could be using any of three other computers in my home (all PCs). Eb2 summed it up well I think. Leopard shows pretty effectively that ANY computer can be a PITA sometimes. My only real complaint is stylistic; the smarmy, condescending tone of Mac's advertising makes me far less apt to want another one. It's obvious that there are some out there who aren't turned off by it and don't mind paying a lot more for their computers, but unless you're using your box for pro tools or graphics and video applications, I don't see where it's worth the extra money.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 10:00:11 AM »
I'll just be happy if someone can tell me how to deal with Time Warner Cable tech support.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 10:54:32 AM »
Time Warner is amazing: People who make the phone company look good.

In those Mac guy and PC guy commercials, I wish the PC guy would just knee that smug little puke right in the nuts.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 11:14:53 AM »

In those Mac guy and PC guy commercials, I wish the PC guy would just knee that smug little puke right in the nuts.

;D ;D ;D

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
condescending tone of Mac's advertising makes me far less apt to want another one.
   O hate those adds as well and I'm a Mac person. end up liking the PC because the Mac dude is an idiot.

I saw that Drew Barrymore is dating "The Mac"

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »
My personal favorite quote regarding Mac vs. PC:

"Macs are for the stuff you want to do, PC's are for the stuff you have to do."

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
"Macs are for the stuff you want to do, PC's are for the stuff you have to do."

So true, the Mac makes film, music & photo product so simple a 40 year old can do it.

There lies the problem, music & film are degraded because now everyone is a film maker, musician or digital artist.

I tunes killed the CD industry, with the DVD industry up next

If anyone out there seriously want to do easy dumb as dirt recording, by a mini Mac with Garage Band and a M Audio interface and you will be up & running within an hour recording

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 05:39:46 PM »
So true, the Mac makes film, music & photo product so simple a 40 year old can do it.

There lies the problem, music & film are degraded because now everyone is a film maker, musician or digital artist.

I tunes killed the CD industry, with the DVD industry up next

If anyone out there seriously want to do easy dumb as dirt recording, by a mini Mac with Garage Band and a M Audio interface and you will be up & running within an hour recording
Before I even started my tech blog, I wrote a thing that went on my facebook about things being dumbed down, specificly Macs. Don't think it is a good idea for everything to be brought down that much because not everything is that easy.

In terms of everyone becoming a film maker, in some sense they can. As having used 2 out of the top 3 editing programs and the top effect program I would say that there is a large separation from using iMovie and one of those programs.

iTunes did indeed kill the CD industry and they, along with Microsoft, are leading the DVD industry on the same path. People are so adapt to the method of downloading that they do not realize that the quality is going to be better if you actually purchase the disc version, especially with HD. I personally prefer to go out to a store and get DVDs/HD-DVD or CDs so that I have a collection that isn't just 1s and 0s on a harddrive.

In regards to the Mac vs PC ads, I find them amusing just to see how full of themselves Apple can be.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.