Author Topic: Gibson Ripper rescue  (Read 37847 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Gibson Ripper rescue
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »
I wonder if I could get a local sign shop or placard maker to etch names into TRCs. Hmm...

Trophy Shop would have been the best bet, I doubt they still do it the way they used to.

Re: the laser vs ink jet:

Good laser will beat a good ink jet any day for blacks.  The local shop does the blackest blacks for 0.20 an 8x10.  They print all my decals for me.  You also don't have to coat laser waterslides before applying them, the ink is fused to the sheet
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:12:08 PM by dadagoboi »

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 11:57:52 AM »
I'm heading to the Post Office with pickup and ferrules in hand.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
Great, thanks for keeping me posted :)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »
Things have slowed down a lot - waiting on a lot of stuff to arrive from the States, and had a slater to pay so no more goodies for me this month. Took care of a wee job - trimming the 4 way switch down to size.

Not the most thrilling update ever, but it's progress with pictures.  I could probably take a couple more mm off, but I'll wait until it's in situ in the final assembly before doing that.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »
All progress is moving forward!  Looking good!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 01:38:19 PM »
More progress than a couple of my projects... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2013, 04:03:57 AM »
More progress than a couple of my projects... ;D

Ha, ditto!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2013, 06:31:51 AM »
I'm throwing no stones.  My Tele-bass project is stalled while my 280ZX is on blocks in my primary garage work space.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »
Ooh, came home to a couple of requests from the Royal Mail for payment of customs fees...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »
Painful... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »
Painful... :o

Always annoying when the Royal Mail handling fee is more than the VAT payable, but hey ho.  My annoyance disappeared when I got the stuff together though...

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 07:33:24 PM »
I hope you didn't get dinged on the stuff I sent you.

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 04:59:22 AM »
I hope you didn't get dinged on the stuff I sent you.

No actually, yours was a double surprise in that A) I wasn't even expecting it to arrive that day and B) it passed through with no taxation.  Cheers for that, and the ferrules are a perfect match for the machine heads (of course).

In fact, it's odd how I have received 3 separate parcels from different parts of the USA, sent days apart all at the same time (well, one day apart, technically).  I suspect the first two spent some time languishing in Customs, and your one, despite being sent last damn near caught them up.

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2013, 02:24:04 AM »
Last of the bits I can afford this month arrived today - 300K pot for volume and some speed knobs.

To my mind, there are three oddities that might cause me trouble.

1) Machine head ferrule washers.  I had a look at picture of a disassembled weird tuner (http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/parts/tuning_key/7374opengear3.php) and I see that there is a washer that goes under the ferrule.  It has an internal diameter of 5/8" (or slightly more) but I don't know the external diameter or the thickness.  In order to find some (or get some made) I'll need to know the dimensions so if anyone knows or can find this out that would be fantastic.

2) Switch dial plate.  I read on here that someone (sniper?) was custom making these, but the trail went a bit cold.  I know it's purely cosmetic, and I'm not in any rush but it would be nice.

3) Top of body ferrules.  What are these little thin things?  They look like boot lace eyelets.  Circa 7mm diameter hole.  I also note that they frequently break under the pressure exerted by the string.  Would I be better off installing something like Telecaster ferrules (with other side reamed out for bass strings instead of accepting guitar string ball ends) for extra strength?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2013, 07:28:57 AM »
if i recall i don't think sniper was in the best of health. i hope nothing has happened to him.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead