Author Topic: Gibson Ripper rescue  (Read 37703 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Ripper rescue
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 04:41:41 AM »
My apologies: I have forgotten to measure out the text for you!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 05:07:48 AM »
My apologies: I have forgotten to measure out the text for you!

No worries, I've still to receive my TRC and my waterslide paper so no rush :)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 05:59:00 AM »
I would be one to vote for new pickups. I would check out a Ripper if you have not already. The pickups were OK , but certainly nothing to die for. Kind of anemic, but versatile pickups. The great thing about the Ripper for me was its wonderful neck.

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 07:11:23 AM »
I would be one to vote for new pickups. I would check out a Ripper if you have not already. The pickups were OK , but certainly nothing to die for. Kind of anemic, but versatile pickups. The great thing about the Ripper for me was its wonderful neck.

I hear what you're saying, but my mind is made up that apart from a few minor tweaks (period incorrect pickguard because I dislike single ply, and the neck only wiring mod) it's going to be a Ripper first and foremost, rather than some other guts in a Ripper's body.

It sounds pretty damn nice and beefy in this clip:

Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 07:31:20 AM »
Then there's this guy who's posted lots of bass covers on YouTube, using only a '76 Ripper. It's a great sounding bass.

Clocks.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 08:17:09 AM »

i had Curtis Novak build me some bisonics insuide the covers and then sound great.  But i hear you on the staying origianl.  IIRC SD makes these pups now
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »
Now normally I don't like lashings of chrome on things, but sometimes it's just required :)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »
I can certainly understand you wanting to keep it as true to original as possible. Not that there's anything wrong with replacement pickups but your whole idea is to rescue a Ripper, not make it into something else.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 06:42:03 PM »
I think it should be mentioned that the SD Ripper pickups are the early 2-screw pups, not the later 3-screw versions.
Clocks.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
maybe its my ears but factory pickups are always good enough for me. why people buy a t bird or usa fender and drop in expensive after market pick ups is something i don't get. different strokes...
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »
I can understand a modern T'Bird owner wanting to try and (inexpensively?) recreate the sound of a 60's 'Bird, knowing they could not afford the cost or the "risk" of owning one and waiting for the inevitable to occur...

Out of curiosity, when was the last time Gibson produced a T II ...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 03:11:54 AM »
Right now I'm waiting for stuff to arrive from the States.  Drumming my fingers a bit because it's quite exciting stuff as far as project progress goes:

Pickguard and screws
Machine heads (yup, the weirdos)
a pickup and the ferrules for the aforementioned machine heads

And waiting for stuff right here too (we had what is known here as a "Bank Holiday" on Monday - no post - so that will have knocked everything to hell)

TRC
White laser waterslide paper
Chicken head knob
Pots

Got some house and car related expenditure coming up this month so that's about all the parts acquisition I can handle this month.  Will get lacquer for refinish next month.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 04:37:02 AM »
I wonder if I could get a local sign shop or placard maker to etch names into TRCs. Hmm...
Clocks.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2013, 06:04:19 AM »
There are shops who make signs for companies and homes. I guess they can do that.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2013, 06:17:31 AM »
I wonder if I could get a local sign shop or placard maker to etch names into TRCs. Hmm...

Scott knows how this is done and has a source here. Probably you could find one locally.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!